Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MAJOR HAIR DILEMMA!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wannabgorgeous14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabgorgeous14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MAJOR HAIR DILEMMA!!!
    Posted: August 07 2004 at 5:31pm
I have like really sucky hair. It hits like the bottom of my neck and has no idea what type it is. I swear its just trying to humiliate me!! : ( Its curly, yet wavy, yet pouffy, just plain ugly and unmaneagable. The texture is soft and its healthy, but very thick! I have no idea what ta do w/ it. Ive tried bout 5 straightners, tried goin w/ natural curls (looks like a big triangle on my head) and tried all the tips on getting back-from-the-beach-waves, but NONE of it works! My first day of high school is in about a week and i dunno what 2 do!! All i can do is put it in a pony or a bun!! PLEASE PLEASE help me!! (in any way!) does any1 out there have the same problem?? : (
I love everyone!!! Ya... even U!!!
hehe ;)
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2004 at 6:43pm
I'd recommend growing it long. Hair that with such uneven wave can be "stretched out" with the weight of long hair. My clan-sister is like that, she has a gradient: her top layer is straight but it gradually becomes wavy, then curly as it reaches the bottom layer. But she has long hair so not many people notice the variation.
my LJ, 40 inches long
frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2004 at 8:25am
wbg14, going curly is not as easy as it might sound. It takes a lot of experimenting to get a result of beautiful curls. I had a horrid time trying to always straighten my curls and until i found the right products, when i let it curl, it was a horrible frizzy mess. But if you take the time, curly hair can be beautiful.

Curly hair is very dry, this is why many curlies experience the poof and frizzies. AnaisSatin has posted some great info about 'cones in shampoo/conditioners and regular hair products; i am just learning. Especially for curly hair, products with 'cones (silicone, Dimethecone[sp?]), it coats your hair and after added use will result in frizzy or limp, dry hair. L'oreal Fresh Vive is 'cone free and i think Dove 'poos and condi is 'cone free and very lightweight. You should also try a deep treatment weekly on your hair.

A great gel that works well on my hair is Suave (professional line) formulated like Biolage gelee. Or you could try the Biolage gelee. It provides great hold, is alcohol free and even has jojoba oil as an ingredient. Try air drying or if you must use a blow-drier, use a diffuser. I use the real bowl shaped diffuser with "fingers" to scrunch up my curls. Don't touch your hair too much or try to separate curls, this results in frizz. Same for when after your hair is dry, try not to disturb the curl pattern. if you want some more info, send me a bm.
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2004 at 11:50am
Hi Wannabgorgeous

It just occurred to me you could try a deep oil treatment; saturating your hair in coconut oil, for example, for about 30 minutes before shampooing and conditioning. This is generally also referred to as "CWC". Curlies normally get better results when their curls are moisturized, as Frizzygurl mentioned (Thanks!).

I don't remember where I posted all the conditioner explanation, but I hope it helps you if you run across it sometime, Wbg : )

Oh, and you could also try a CO wash...? This works if you don't use the heavy oiling idea. If you need directions, be sure to post again so I know you're reading this thread.

Anais

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabgorgeous14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 7:51pm
THANKS GIRLS! I really appreciate ur help. Guess what?!? I found a GREAT straightener that straightens my hair perfectly and makes it smotth and "frizz-less"... but i'd really like to know more about getting my natural curls to shine through (cuz i think curls are gorgeous too!) ya know? could u type up that info 4 me? thanks bunches!! hehe
hehe ;)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 8:54pm
Hi Wannabgorgeous,

I'm glad you found something that works for you! Be sure to post your product name... maybe someone out there reading this thread has the same problem you did. It just might work for them too.
Any of the moisturizing ideas I've posted in this thread should contribute to healthy curls. Let us know how things are, every now and then : )

hugs,
Anais
jessicar View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2004 at 8:13pm
I agree with the advice you recieved. I was about 20 before I figured out to do with my curly hair. My best advice is go with the deep conditioning reccommended. If you are wearing it curly, put in some leave in conditioner and anti frizz product to preserve curls and keep it from being a ball of fluff.
I like to keep my hair well below my shoulders because it weighs it down and makes it closer to wavy. I wash it every other day because curly hair is often dry, deep condition weekly, and I often wash mine at night, let it dry out completely and in the morning run a straight iron over it, or curling iron for soft waves instead of blow drying and then straightening because I get better results.
You should play with all the tips on the weekends until you find what works for your particular hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabgorgeous14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 5:29pm
Alrighty... the straightener i use is called Conaiar ceramic technology, it has 30 heat settings, and works really well, but i've got, yet another problem (my hair can never be perfect, not even 4 a second!). After like an hour (sometimes less), my hair does funky things instead of stayin all cute and straight!! Have u girls discovered any good products that hold ur hairstyle in all day. but dont make ur hair rogh or greasy? If u could let me know, that would be GREAT!!
hehe ;)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 12:24pm
That's a big issue with curlies.. A genetic one actually. Some hair is just plain stubborn and doesn't want to curl. The other cause is mucho damage. I can't think of any good hair-hold products, but I just don't want you to be disappointed if your hair doesn't stay straight. Good luck

Hugs,
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic