Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A 15 year old straightened hair disaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
adorable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adorable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A 15 year old straightened hair disaster
    Posted: August 19 2004 at 8:13am
Hello,

I am a mother of a 15 year old red head whose hair is not only curly but very frizzy and kinky. We live in Florida where it is quite hot and terribly humid. We decided to take my daughter to a salon for hair relax treatment. The hair dresser tested this matrix product and it seemed to work great the first time. All seemed alright till after six months, we went back to redo the hair because it grew out. She saw the same stylist which we though was good and felt confortable.

She had this second procedure six months after the initial procedure.

A couple of days after the second procedure, I noticed alot of scalp showing up at the top of her head. I looked closer and saw lots of tiny little pointy things coming from the pore of the scalp. These little things looked like tiny buned hair and felt rough. I passed my hard over the top of her head and it felt like tiny bristles. She obviously lost some hair but I don't know what I should do about these tiny bistles coming from her scalp. Now there are patches of her head with these little things and you can see her scalp and those little things sticking up. I also noticed as her hair was drying after a shampoo, that the rest of the hair was really super dry and frizzie and looks lile a bunch of split ends or something. Over all, the hair is much worse now than ever.

My questions are as follows:

1) Will her hair continue to fall?

2) What can I do about those burned up little stubs coming from her scalp?

3) What can I do to restore health to the existing severely damaged hair?

4)What type of procedure can I do to relax her hair the next time that will not cause this type of damage?

5)Is there any type of straightening that can be done in the future that will not pose a hair burning or hair loss threat?

6) What can I put on her hair or what can I do to stimulate new hair groth where it has been lost?

Thank you very much for your time

Have a wonderful day,

hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2004 at 6:23am
Hi - I am a mom of 4 myself. For my own daughter, I encourage accepting and cherishing her hair and looks just as they are.... In the end, after many years of torture, that is where she will end up anyways. Take it from me - I been there.
First of all, the stylist should not have applied relaxer to anything but the roots. if she went over the rootline to where the hair was already relaxed, then the hair will break off, right at the junction between the old treatment and the new. That's what is happening to your daughters hair right now. The outer top layer is always the weakes, since it is exposed most to the blowdryer, sun and elements. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to stop the breakage.....you can help lessen it by not blowdrying, minimizing shampoos, minimizing brushing and pulling the hair in anyway. Try a deep mask conditioner once a week.
Most importantly, teach your daughter how to style her naturally curly and i am sure - Gorgeous red hair. many would kill for curly red hair!

The longer her hair grows, the more weight, the less culr. As far as frizz, there are many frizz control products out there that are sensational. I use Matrix extreme 3 smoothing creme and air dry and mine looks really good...even here in Florida.

Good luck

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic