Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Straight hair without heat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straight hair without heat
    Posted: October 30 2004 at 3:52pm
I have so much hair that it takes forever if I decide to blow dry it. But I'd like to get a straight or at least a semi-straight look some other way. Do you know of any ways to tie my hair or something to make it come out straight?
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
The Asian Invasion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Asian Invasion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2004 at 5:06pm
Try wet-combing. I learned this technique from Anais, and it works great for me.

When you get out of the shower, pat you hair dry with a towel (don't rub your hair with the towel, that will cause damage). Then use a wide toothed comb (I covered mine with nail polish to prevent snagging) to detangle the length of your hair. Then allow your hair to air-dry, but every 5 minutes, be sure to comb the length of your hair.

This sounds like it takes a really long time, but it really doesn't, since you can do whatever you want while you're air-drying, you just need to remember to comb your hair.

Another good idea is to wash your hair at night, so that you end up waking up with "second-day hair"

HTH,
Mary
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2004 at 9:13pm
Thanx but Anais said that it doesnt work for African American hair.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2004 at 8:18pm
Did you say you were natural or you were transitioing? just want to know before I try to answer the question.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 7:58am
Relaxed.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 11:32am
ok well the only way that I know how to do that is to wrap your hair at night and then take it down in the morning. Your head is like a giant roller when you wrap it.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

The_Airknight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Airknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2004 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Layla Layla wrote:

..what is your definition of "African American hair?" I believe you may want to add in the degree of curl you are referring to..
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2004 at 6:18pm
Ok since your hair is chemically straighten...when I had a perm, I did not use heat. This is what I did. After I washed my hair, I would let it air dry for about 10 mins, after that I would apply hair lotion or a leave in (sometimes leave in can make your hair hard) Brush it back into a bun. After your hair is completely dry, a few hours later your hair should be straight and your ends should be curled from the bun.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2004 at 8:10pm
Um... I guess I have 4a hair. I used to do the bun thing and liked how it made my hair kind of wavy but I got layers in my hair now all the hair doesn't stay in it sticks out and those spots get frizzy. It also takes forever to dry. thanx anyway. I'll just start doing buns again. Oh I just remembered what works better. It does it better if I do two buns instead of one. It straightens the back hairs as well as the front and it dries faster.
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2004 at 8:58pm
I make my hair in pigtails while its wet but first i section it and put surge hair revitaliser 14 on my scalp and comb each section before making another section. I start from the back. I use a fine teeth comb and there's no breakage. When im done, my hair is flat on my head so it dries straight
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2004 at 9:45am
What is surge for and where can I find it?
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2004 at 10:45pm
Its called Surge hair revitaliser 14. Its actually for hair growth and on the bottle it says it promotes hair growth after 14 days. but when i used it, it detangled my hair awesomely. lol. I got it from walgreens.com and i believe u can get it from walgreens store itself and also cvs. Check out www.surgehaircare.com
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2004 at 12:13pm
Did you find out to make your ends straighter, Layla?
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2004 at 9:02pm
No, but my roots are straight so I'm planning on cutting my hair.
tesseract and amethyst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tesseract and amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2004 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Layla Layla wrote:

EH???? Yes it does too work on our hair.

The only thing I have been doing differently for the past 7 or 8 weeks is:

Use leave in conditioner. I use a wide-toothed comb to distribute it and smooth the hair down.

Put oil over that. I use sweet almond oil, and concentrate on the ends. I use my hands to smooth is down.

Every so often, I use my hands to smooth it down until its dry.

I do not do the repeated combing because my hair is way too fragile. Sometimes I sit under the hood dryer on cool but usually I just go on about my business and smooth it down every now and again. If the ends start feeling a little too dry, I give them some more SAO.

No, I don't get bone straight hair (well I did for the first 3 – 4 weeks after my touch up), but it is maybe 95% straight, EXTREMELY soft, happy hair!

From as near as I can tell, I modified the “8B For Short to Medium Hair Lengths” air drying technique. I first found out about it from a posting on LHCF that said it was taken from "The Black Woman's Guide To Beautiful, Healthier Hair in 6 Weeks!" by Caroly Gray
Relaxed 4b/4a (right side only)
Big Chop 11-6-04
Goals: healthy hair, then growth to
terminal length
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic