Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tru ceramic pro vs. Maxiglide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yoli View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tru ceramic pro vs. Maxiglide
    Posted: December 15 2004 at 10:07pm
Does the tru ceramic pro or the maxiglide work on relaxed hair.? I would like to try both but most of the flat irons i've tried leave my hair dry unless I have recently had my hair relaxed. Is there any one out there who has this problem?
Denetta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 4:36pm
I'm african american and my hair is chemical free, in a natural state. I was prepared to go back to relaxers because it is so thick and difficult to deal with. I was suprised that the maxiglide straightened by hair with ease. I also used it on my daughter who has relaxed hair and it worked wonderfully. It also helps to put a moisturizer (I like shea butter) daily.
Kim J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim  J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 10:37pm
Hi Yoli & Denatta,

I have a Magniglide and I totaly agree with Denatta. My hair is also long, thick and natural. It works great on my hair and other people I have used it on who have relaxed hair.
-Happy Hair Days
Kim
SanGita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanGita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 9:25pm
Where can you buy a MaxiGlide and about how much does it cost?
Kim J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim  J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2005 at 10:42pm

www.shopathometv.com

The item number is :32010800 and it was about $75 when I purchased it.
-Happy Hair Days
Kim
jodi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jodi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 3:13pm

does anyone know if the maxiglide will work on thick, coarse, asian hair? i too saw the maxiglide on the home shopping network. it did wonders for one girl with curly, frizzy hair.
femmgrangwav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmgrangwav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:38am
I guess the price went up a bit. 
sophieMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophieMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 2:24pm

I am waiting for my maxiglide to come any day now..

I was up too late the other day and saw the infomercial. It was a pretty good deal (if it works right) because I am getting the maxiglide, miniglide, styling products, brush and rollers.

Just hope that it works well...

Sophie

Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 9:55am

I wouldn't bet my money on the true ceramic pro. There were a number of people in this forum who were complaing that the true ceramic pro chipped off on the "ceramic" plates to reveal metal, and that it's covered in red paint. Some also complained that it burned their hair off. Just thought i'd warned you guys!

Having said this, you'd probably be better off purchasing the maxiglide.

TheEvilFlute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheEvilFlute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 12:55pm

Haha! Word up!

I'd been thinking my MaxiGlide was better than my friend's TrueCeramicPro for some time, for various reasons, I was just waiting for somebody else to say some thing. Not to mention that the TrueCeramicPro was rediculously expensive.

Yes, the MaxiGlide is quite awesome . . . hehe

-Kennieth

Edited by TheEvilFlute
pharrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pharrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 9:36pm
Wow I am geating the maxiglide for my birthday(Aug 10) and I can't wait to get it so i don't have to flat iron or relax my hair again
Melrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 2:36pm
TCP does work great in straightening and smoothing out your hair.  I have extremely thick long hair and this product does work wonders.  Yes, it is true about the red paint coming off.  However, I do not recommend this product due to my experience.  One day I turned on the TCP, but it was not turning on and the red blinking light was not there.  I was very upset because it was not working.  I then turned it off, walked away for a while, came back, and turned it on and it worked.  This happened two more times, but the third time it was off for good.  I was angry because it finally broke down on me on the day I really wanted it to work.  Therefore, I went to a Sally Beauty store and got a Jilbere de Paris Ceramic Straightener for only $37 on sale.  This straightener works just as good as TCP if not better.  Remember I have extremely long thick hair.  Then I called customer service and I could not get my money back I could only get a new one in place of the broken TCP.  I was passed my 30-day guarantee, and that was the reason for not getting a full refund.  I told them I did not want a new one because if it happens again, I did not want to deal with returning it back and forth. I tried very hard in getting my money back but it did not happen, only a new one.  This stinks, because I will have a $119 TCP that I do not need, because the Jilbere works better.  So overall, DO NOT BUY TCP WHEN YOU CAN GET THE SAME RESULTS FOR A LOT LESS.  As for Maxiglide, I do not know anything about it.  
Tanya Nwamkpa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanya Nwamkpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 9:46pm

I have both the True Ceramic Pro and the Maxiglide.  First, I'll start off by saying that I am a black girl with relaxed hair.  If I don't relax my hair it is completely unmanageable.  I don't know if I would be considered a 4a or b or what -maybe somebody could help me out with that one.

Anyway I ordered the TCP back in December and I have been using it religiously up until a couple of days ago.  I recieved and first used the Maxiglide about two weeks ago..

Each tool has its advantages, and each has its shortcomings.  My TCP has always worked very well.   It was and still is such a miracle worker, and when I use it, I have strait and generally humidity resistant hair.  I have read several reviews where people had the "ceramic" plates chip off, but I never had any such problems with mine. I ordered it off of the actually informercial in December, so maybe I just got lucky. What I love about it is that it is very light and easy to use... it not only functions as a flat iron but it works very, very well as a curling iron once you get the hang of it.  Also, if I have a while to spend on my hair and I straiten in small sections at a time, I found that I could get at my nappy roots pretty effectively.  The cord is nice and long so it gives me plenty of working space.  It heats up in no time and you can tell whether its hot or cool by the color changing plates; I definatly love that.

So why did I decide to buy the Maxiglide?  Basically I wanted to see if I could get anything better.  I had done a lot of research about the Maxiglide and it has gotten rave reviews, so I said, "Hey, it's only $80, why not give it a try."  Not only that, I after I used the TCP on my hair for about six months or so, I noticed a TON of damage.  I don't know if it has to do with the iron itself, or if I was not protecting my hair properly.   When I first got it, like an idiot I was using 340 degrees of heat on my hair, but recently I went down to 270 even though it didn't work as well with that setting.  Either way my hair went from beautiful, thick and even all the way through, to uneven and very thin at the ends.   But it's still no where near as much damage as I got with my old non-ceramic iron.  Another thing that I don't like about the TCP is also something I like.  Because it's so small, you can't straiten as much hair so it takes a bit longer.

As for the Maxiglide.  I've only had it for two weeks, but I feel like I've seen enough to review it.  It arrived in much nicer packaging than my TCP did.  Much, MUCH nicer.  The TCP was just thrown in a box with all the stuff it came with and some packing peanuts, so one of the bottles of hair product they sent proceeded to leak all over the place.  Nice. 

Compared to the TCP, the Maxiglide is huge, but I expected that.  It was a little more complex to use first off.  I actually had to read the instructions first to figure out how to use it.  The blue light on the thing is pretty, but blinding; definately wear shades when you first turn it on.   The Maxiglide is a lot heavier that the TCP.  'm sure I'll get used to it, but it was a little hard to get the hang of at first. 

The little combs on the plate... um, they're great for the relaxed part of my hair, but when I tried to go over new grownth, it wasn't pretty.  I thought I was going to burn my hair off because the plates got stuck in my hair a few times.  For any girls (or guys) out there with hair like mine, I would suggest that you use the flat plate instead of the comb plate.  Anyway, the finished product was amazing.  I finished my hair in about 15 minutes and it was very strait; straiter than with the TCP or any other flat iron I have ever used.  It was really easy, the directions said to just let it glide through your hair and that's how it was. I didn't have to clamp down very hard at all. Pretty effortless when just going for a strait style, but the flipping was a little awkward for me and didn't work very well.  The TCP definatly has the Maxiglide beat when it comes to styling versatility.  I had a hard time using the steam burst technology. The blue button is at a really ackward place and it's hard to press it without clamping the plates all the way down on your hair. 

When I use the Maxiglide, my hair stays strait all day long as it did with the TCP.  However, the Maxiglide held up a little better in South Texas humidity for me; it remained just a strait as when I walked out the door.  The TCP did hold up nicely as well, but there a very small amount of frizziness towards the ends. I only have to straighten my hair with the Maxiglide about once a week, because it holds up so well.  I rarely have had to do any touch ups.  With the TCP I would have to touch up my hair every two to three days, so that may be another reason why I have so much damage.  I've only used my Maxiglide twice, so I don't know well it'll do as far as damage goes.  I am due for a trim (or maybe even all out cut) sometime this month so, I'll be ready for a fresh start, so I'll let yall know if I notice any significant damage.  Hopefully not.

Anyway, overall, both are good products, but I think the Maxiglide is better because of how well it straitens.  I recommend it especially for people with long and/or very thick hair that is still somewhat manageable.  If your hair is coarse, use the flat plate.  If you can get a good one, I recommend the TCP for people with shorter hair or if you want something that functions as both a curling iron and a flat iron.  I indend to keep both of them.  I'll probably use the TCP for my baby hairs around head and use the Maxiglide for the rest.   I hope this review is helpful to someone.  Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Maxiglide: 4.5/5
Pros: Hair comes out bone strait, great resistance to humidity, straitens very easily and very quickly, steam burst technology, I don't have to use it very often - less damage?
Cons: Pin plate not good for coarse hair, takes a while to heat up and cool down, big and heavy, doesn't curl hair as effectively as TCP, steam burst is awkward.

True Ceramic Pro: 4/5
Pros: Very versatile... functions as curling iron and flat-iron, straightens very well, very good resistance to humidity, heats up and cools fast and color changing plates, light and compact - very easy to travel with.
Cons: Smaller plates = longer straitening time, caused damage to my hair? Doesn't straighten as well or resist humidity as well as the Maxiglide. 

Melrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 2:39am
Thats funny my TCP doesn't change color when it heats up.  The plates are the color red all the time.
Tanya Nwamkpa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanya Nwamkpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 11:53am

Originally posted by Melrose Melrose wrote:

Thats funny my TCP doesn't change color when it heats up.  The plates are the color red all the time.

The plates are supposed to change from a bright red to a deep maroon color when they get hot.  If yours doesn't and/or the paint chips off, you probably got a knock-off.  Where and when did you buy yours?

ETA: Maybe you can get some help here http://trueceramicpro.com/alerts/.  They said they will mail out replacements, but I don't know about refunds.   A working repacement is better than a $119 loss.  Maybe you can sell it? 

Edited by Tanya Nwamkpa
Melrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 6:02pm
I got mine from the orginal TCP, so its not a know off.  It might change  a shade(not color), just really never noticed.  The paint it a little chipped off, but not much.  I'm getting a replacement sent out to me anyways, even though I don't need it. 
TheEvilFlute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheEvilFlute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 1:17am
Somebody I met at NJCL had a true ceramic pro, and it broke randomly after only 6 months of use. Not good!

I've had my maxi-glide for longer and it's still working great!
G Slim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Slim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2005 at 8:05pm
good for u
gslim
cutenss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutenss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 12:20am
I have had my maxiglide since 11-2004.  It is AWESOME! It is worth ever penny.  I hae been through so many CHEAP flat irons.  Though this is light-weight it is durable.  I use it everytime after I wash and blowdry.  It does have adjustable heat settings.  I find that I can use 4 just fine.  I am a brown girl (AA) with relaxed hair.  I can get right up to my scalp without burning it.  I highly. HIGHLY recommend it.  You wont be sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic