Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - chemically processed- ok to do a DIY straightening kit?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

chemically processed- ok to do a DIY straightening kit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
divinediva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divinediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chemically processed- ok to do a DIY straightening kit?
    Posted: January 31 2005 at 12:37pm
I have had highlights a few times and have used str8ening irons alot but I deep condition my hair and it is in ok condition....my hair is very curly shoulder length and thick, would it b safe to do a home straightening kit? and which should i use?
It doesn't have to be natural to be fabulous!!!/
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 11:43pm
If you're new to this, you're probably better off going to a professional. Just my 2 cents.

:)
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 12:37am
Hey ShockinPink! I just tried One n' Only (yes the ColorFix people) Curl remover. The true test will be when I get to wash it on Friday. So far, so good. My hair is partly bleached, partly hi-lift colored. Some ends will need to be chopped, but nothing bad. The stuff I used will loosen your curl, but it won't go from curly to straight...more like curly to wavy. I'm starting at wavy and hoping to get close to straight.

Anyway, it's on sale for like $5 at Sally this month, so it's at least worth doing a strand test to see if it would work on your hair.

Anais is probably right about seeing a professional, but I know from the extension board that you're a DIYer. I'll try to remember to post Friday morning after I wash my hair to tell you how it's working.

Edit: Oops, forgot you're in the UK, but I know people have gotten ColorFix there, so I'm sure you can find Curl Remover.
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 3:22pm
Okay, here are the test results from One n' Only Curl Remover....its fabulous! I slapped some SFX dye on my hair 48 hours after straightening (because the straightener completely wiped out my hair color), shampooed, conditioned, towel dried, and added a little BioSilk. I let it air dry, and it was straight and silky. Sure, it could be straighter with the help of a flatiron, but I'm certainly satisfied for everyday wear.
janeglitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janeglitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 8:46pm
I had semi curly hair and used a straightening perm by loreal. It is really good, but you have to follow the directions and not leave it in for too long or it will damage you hair. I thought the longer the better, but it damaged my hair.

The moral of the story is that it works just keep it on the amount of time that is stipulated on the directions and I think that you will be happy with the results.

Good luck
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2005 at 7:58am
im not an expert, but i would personally stay away from such products..i used to do my neighbours fine blonde hair with a home straightening kit, and the smell as i was applying it made my eyes stream...not a good sign!then he bought a kit for afro hair as they had sold out of his usual brand, and it felt like his hair was crumbling as i applied it...after 3 minutes we washed it out and he had severe breakage.
i really think..as others have said...somethings are best left to proffesionals..
otherwise a strand test is your best insurance..
i can't take it no more so i'm going on a shopping spree
....H.A.R.M.A.R superstar....
Krcar4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krcar4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2005 at 2:04pm
Look, there is hope. If you are scared to try an at home straightener or a professional one then you should be. Those things just ruin your hair in my opinion. I have baby fine hair, but a lot of it, and it's curly and really really frizzy. The only product, and I have tried them all, that has worked on my hair is Alterna. Get a hydrating shampoo and cond for your dry hair and get the starightening creme to go on your wet hair before you blow dry it and then use the straightening starch when your hair is about 75% dry. Trust me, it works like a charm!
Krcar4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic