Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What the Difference in Fake Nail Types

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Trixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What the Difference in Fake Nail Types
    Posted: May 05 2003 at 2:13pm
I have always done acrylic, but was wondering what the difference is between getting wraps, etc. Please explain to me........
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2003 at 3:01pm
I can speak for silk/linen wraps vs. acrylics since I've had both. This is a layperson's (customer's) explanation, not a professional's!

With acrylics, the acrylic material is actually a sort of liquid plastic that is applied to either your nails or your nails + plastic tips (if your natural nails are very short). The acrylic bonding dries nice and hard, creating a smooth, strong surface for painting.

Silk or linen wraps are these little square pieces of material that are glued to your natural nails (or nails + tips). Then glues &/or gels are applied on top of the wraps, creating a strong, smooth surface for painting.

I find acrylics much easier and more economical than the wraps. One of the main reasons is that the wraps need to be soaked off and changed every eight weeks, where the acrylics don't: my nail guy just pops them off as needed, when needed. Some weeks none get changed, some weeks only one or two. But never a complete set change like with wraps (and that used to cost me $70 every eight weeks). And the wraps HURT when they are pulled off.

My nail guy tends not to charge me for changing an acrylic, because really there's nothing "new" being applied. Some old acrylic material is being popped off, and the new stuff is painted on, same as it would be if the acrylic wasn't being "changed". So in that regard, it's much much cheaper than wraps. I pay about $21 a visit, no matter what is going on. I go every two weeks. When I had wraps, I paid about $25 every two weeks, then $70 once every eight weeks. Ouch!

I also find that the acrylic filling process is easier and faster.

Wraps tend to pop up more than acrylics, in my experience.

In general, I've enjoyed the whole manicure experience a heck of a lot more since I switched to acrylics. And it's faster! I spend about 45 minutes in the chair now, vs. an hour or more (closer to two when wraps were being changed!)

I would be interested in hearing about others' experiences with the different materials. Good topic!
[/url]

Trixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 3:14pm
thanxs girl!!! I will stick w/ my acrylics.....always been happy with them; but just didn't know the info about my options
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 11:11pm
I've worn both acrylic and silk tips. It's true that acrylic is cheaper, but personally I find that silk looks so much more natural and beautiful than the acrylic. Acrylics, to me, usually look fake, but my silk nails looked totally natural. The experience and expertise of the nail technician can make a huge difference, as well.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2003 at 12:26pm
I've tried silk, linen, gels, and acrylic. I found that silk and linen just weren't strong enough (I was constantly breaking them) and the damage to the nail was not any less than with acrylic. Plus, they cost more. I didn't like them at all.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Christina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2003 at 4:27pm
agreed with above post.
NewOrleansLady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOrleansLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 10:01pm
Are silk wraps the same thing as Gels? I've always assumed that gel nails were same as acrylics as far as application goes and were just a little less hard. I've only worn acrylics but, was curious about gels.
"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but, wish we didn't."
littlewing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlewing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2003 at 1:04pm
I really like UV Gel nails!! Unfortunately, in my area (near D.C.), they cost $60 for a full set and $40 for fills. I couldn't afford to keep that up, so I went back to natural.

The UV Gels are different from either silks or acrylics. A different kind of stuff (the liquid that gets brushed on) is applied to either your nails or nails+tips, then you put your fingers under an ultr-violet (UV) light while the stuff hardens. The UV light actually feels like it is burning your fingernails so it is kind of uncomfortable.....BUT, the result are nails that are ultra strong and thin enough to be mistaken for natural and they shine like clear glass even when unpolished!!

When I get promoted at work and start making a little more money, I will probably go back to UV Gels :)

I've tried silk wraps too and I could see little lines in my nails from the fiber and I was always breaking them. I won't do those again....
dana073 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dana073 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 5:10pm
I have worn both silk & acrylics. With the wraps I broke my nail MUCH MORE easier. And when they would break it would break my real nail as well...talk about hurting, bleeding & burning when trying to take the polish off!!! I have worn acrylics for years and years! I get the pink & white acrylics, where they use both pink powder & white powder. I get SO MANY comments that they look natural and the best, most natural looking acrylics that people have seen. I realize some of that has to do with the technician, however I totally swear by the pink/white acrylics.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic