Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

good clarifying shampoo to remove silicon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amytmcg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amytmcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: good clarifying shampoo to remove silicon
    Posted: March 15 2005 at 11:06pm

Hi okay, Ive been going crazy over the last few weeks trying figure out if silicone are good or bad..but all my products seem to have them and just wondereing...what is a good shampoo that is gentle but will remove my silicone buildup??  i was about to chuck a small fortune in products when i was convinced silicone is bad, but maybe i might rethink that.  by the way, this whole thing started when i used neutrogena anti residue and all my hair broke off.  i came to the conclusion after posting on this forum that i had extreme silicone build up and the shampoo removed not only the build up but the hair as well.  ok, sorry for posting so many questions tonite, but im trying to figure out a good regimen for my hair, and a healing one too:) oh, and the products i am currently using are frederic fekkai protein rx conditioner, glossing cream, and protein rx mask, and phyto 9, and biolage ultra hydrating shampoo...and just bought redken all smooth butter treat, have not used that yet, but have used the other products for a few days now...spent a small fortune in sephora when i was frantic.

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 10:55am
suave clarifying
Kimmie6604 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimmie6604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 5:17am

I spent a fortune on shampoo and conditioners that I thought would work for me.  Finally I bought  Suave clarifying shampoo that is the generic version of the Rusk clarifying shampoo and used the LOreal Vive Nutri Force conditioner.  My hair is very fine and it seems that a daily clarifying shampoo and a good  conditioner does the trick....

mysticaldodo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticaldodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 8:33am
Aveda Detoxifier is nice and gentle for me, it helps to remove chlorine. I'm not sure about the silicones though.
mysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 1:57pm
I use Suave Clarifying it has worked for me so far .....does anyone have any ideas in wht is good to use with a hair iron, to keep hair healthy on ends???  Thanks
Cindy

8 months to *Mid-Back*..give or take!
oskana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 4:47pm

hey mysty:

From what I heard from evryone is that elasta qp mango butter is great for the ends and serve as a heat protectant. Before you iron you can also use biosilk or Matrix Sleek.Look. This is as much as I can think of now. If you do a search on heat protectants or browse past topics in other sections you should find a good amount of details.

heres a link on a past topic (hope it works)

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27441 &KW=heat+protectant

Blended Beauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blended Beauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2005 at 11:40am
You should try a mud or clay mask a few times a month. They are perfect for removing build-up and leave the hair feeling soft.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 10:58pm

Do not use drugstore brand clarifying shampoos. They all have both types of carcinogens including Neutrogena. Sodium Lauryl sulfate and ammonium Lauryl sulfate. Not only are they cacinogens, but they also cause premature wrinkles. YES, wrinkles. so spend the extra $5 and stay young a little longer. A great clarifying shampoo is Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two. It is very light. Cleans really well without overdrying hair, and the scent is great. And at about $5 a bottle you can't go wrong. Trust me, if there is one type of shampoo you don't want to go with the cheap kind, is a clarifying one. As far as silicones go, do not get rid of your stuff. I have many products containing cones, and my hair does just fine. As long as you clarify at least once a month, or more if needed, you will be fine. The Redken Smooth Down line is great, specially the butter treat. It is my HG conditioner. Can not live without it.

Here is my hair regimen. It works great for me, and I have super curly, super frizzie dry hair. I shampoo with Redken smooth down shampoo (and PM shampoo two when I need to clarify). I use Smooth down butter treat as a conditioner. As a leave in treatment I use a dime size of Salerm 21 techniques  (the one in the squeeze tube) mixed with a little Sebastian potion 9. I come that through my hair, and then spray it with either Redken all soft addictive hair transformer or Redken Color extend total recharge (even though I don't color my hair, the stuff is great). I blow dry my hair with a ceramic turmaline hair dryer. Then I put in Redken heat glide and flat iron my hair. I do this twice a week, and my hair looks super straight and shiny, and stays that way even in the highest humidity. If you want it even straighter, separate the hair into sections and lightly mist each section right before you flat iron, with matrix iron smoothing spray. You do need to do alot of protein treatments to keep the hair healthy. Joico reconstructor, Redken deep fuel or Sebastian 2+1 are all exellent. Remember you need to deep condition after protein treatments. Otherwise your hair will feel like straw. I do a protein treatment at least once a month, but some people need to do it more.

I been following this regimen for a year, and my hair is healthy and beautifull. One thing though, regular trims are a must when flat ironing your hair. And you need a great flat iron. I use Sedu, and wouldn't change it for anything else.

As far as a heat protectant for ends, The Redken heat glide works great, or Salerm super activo (the heat glide is cheaper thought, and works just as well). They are both super concentrated and last for ever. I have been using the heat glide for about 7 months now, and I haven't used half the bottle yet. So the $14 is more than worth it. Your hair will be super shiny and soft, and protected from the heat.

Edited by Sharyg11
sheerblonde823 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheerblonde823 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 6:43pm
I can also speak to the Redken heat glide, it really is great and DOES last a long long time.  I am hesitant with protein treatments, though I see the benefits they bring.  I am a pretty big fan of deep conditioning masks, however.  Another thing - she is absolutely right about trimming.  Even if you want to grow your hair out nice and long, getting hair trimmed ever 6 weeks is a must.  No matter how many protectants you use, flat irons will cause your hair to develop split ends quickly.  You shouldn't abandon them, but getting hair trimmed comes with the territory.
colombes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colombes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 10:19am
Hello everybody !
I'm new to the forum which seems to be good !Smile
I have tried the pantene one and it is good. I'm off silicones since 6 months now and I find a huge difference. It is funny because I'm french and I go to french hair forum and the girls are talking about exactly the same things, silicones or not ?
I have to say that I was not convinced first but after this time I'm happy to have done it. My hair is less heavy, dull, greasy.

sleesh07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleesh07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 10:42pm
Don't use pantene all it is is a protein agent that makes your hair have that silky thick feel when all it is doing is coating the hair shaft and over time it will weight the hair down.

When i am out of clarifying shampoo i use a mixture of vinegar and water. The vinegar removes the build up while brightening blondes and removing dull residues for nature shine. And my teacher a long time register cosmetologist recommended that to me.
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by sleesh07 sleesh07 wrote:

Don't use pantene all it is is a protein agent that makes your hair have that silky thick feel when all it is doing is coating the hair shaft and over time it will weight the hair down.

When i am out of clarifying shampoo i use a mixture of vinegar and water. The vinegar removes the build up while brightening blondes and removing dull residues for nature shine. And my teacher a long time register cosmetologist recommended that to me.

I would have to say that there is a big backlash going on against Pantene, especially with hairdressers. They keep telling customers that Pantene is bad. Well, what conditioner doesn't coat the hair and somewhat weight it down. They all do to some degree. There is nothing in Pantene that will hurt your hair! In fact, there's a reason it is a top-selling conditioner -- it works. You just have to make sure you clarify if you use it regularly. Hairdressers don't want you to use it because it takes $$$ out of their salons/pockets where they stock all the high-end products. Don't believe the hype!!!
Love clip-ins and tape!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic