Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help with home perming please..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heaven_leee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaven_leee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with home perming please..
    Posted: March 16 2005 at 2:22pm

Hi.  My mom has asked me to perm just the front portion of her hair (or her bangs).  She doesn't want to go to a salon just for that so that's why she's asked me to do it.  She has had her hair permed professionally before but I guess her bangs grew out and wants to give it a little curl.

Anyway, I an unfamiliar with the perming process and have done some research online...but still am unsure about the process.  I've gone Walgreens and bought the Ogilvie Home Perm.  I needed rollers so I went to the local Sally Beauty supply store and also bought the this perming kit.

Dual Control Exothermic Perm
  By: Naturelle

Sally Item #: 623262

Gentle chemical heat for defined, long-lasting curls on normal and tinted hair.

• Gives springy, durable, true-to-rod size curls with a textured feel
  • Conditions as it neutralizes for shine and superior combability
  • Automatically regulates the waving process to help prevent overprocessing on normal hair
  • I also bought some paper end wraps and jumbo sized plastic perming rods (about 1").  I know that I need wraps and rods, but I'm not even sure what size rods I'm supposed to use.  She's like in her 40's so I think she wants a medium curl.  Is this the right rod to use?  Because when I saw the rest of the rods/rollers that were available, they look so thin and tiny, I immediately thought of frizzy geri curls.  And that is not the look I'm aiming for.

I have always wanted to perm my hair too.  I've never had a perm before but wanted a loose curl look, like as if I curled my hair in big hot rollers look, kinda like this:

Jennifer Lopez 

So I guess here are my questions:

1)  Can someone thoroughly explain a step by step guide to perming hair?  Like how do I wrap with the end papers and should I wrap in a spiral way or just flat (like as if I was curling with a curling iron), etc..

2) I also learned that there seems to be different formulas for perming hair.  There is acid, alkaline and exothermic.  What is the difference between these, the advantages/disadvantages and risks involved when using these?

3) My mom has asian hair that is medium in thickness and has been permed before.  She wants a medium curl in her bangs.  What formula and size rods should I use on her?  And how should I wrap the rods on when doing her hair?

4) I have asian hair that is medium to heavy in thickness and is in decent condition, meaning I don't have split ends or breakage.  It looks healthy but it's not the healthiest that it has been.  I color my hair occasionally.  The last time was about 2-3 months ago.  I have never had a perm before and my hair is pretty straight asian hair.  I have the type of hair that is puffy in thickness (but straight) after I wash my hair and will look better the day after.  My hair is bra-strap length and layered and I would like to have more body and perm my hair to look like the picture shown above.  How can I achieve this with what formula, size rollers, technique, etc..?

I know that a lot will just tell me to go to a salon professionally, and I may just do that for my first perm to be on the safe side.  But I enjoy learning how to do things on my own like playing with coloring my own hair, styling my hair, playing with makeup, etc...  It's kinda neat to learn how to do it at home and also save some money at the same time.  I'm not a makeup artist or hair stylist but I guess my hobby is beauty stuff and I like to experiment and I'm a total product junkie.  I'm just a girly girl I guess.

I know some of you are professionals and probably think there are too many risks involved in doing a home perm but I want to know what's the easiest and least risky way to do this.  So I know I'm asking for a lot of information because I'm a total newbie but I hope someone will bestow their wisdom upon me!  Thanks in advance!

Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic