Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie Questions!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wtchywmn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtchywmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie Questions!
    Posted: March 17 2005 at 12:18pm

Hi there all :)!

What a great place this is, wow, it's extension heaven, thanks for the great advice here. I've been going back and forth on some extension stuff and wondered if I could get some opinions here-and sorry this might get long! 

I have fine fine hair that seems to have problems w/any kind of glue, fusion, bonding proccesses - no matter what kind and what the removal methods and whoever does them seems like I loose tons of hair - almost like the hair soaks up the bonding/chemical and mats up quickly - so a few years ago I was happy to find the Hairlocs methods, and altho don't like the telltale metal clips, seem to have less hair problems there - but they were too expensive to maintain, then found Eurolocs and even went as far to get the license so I could get the supplies and have my roommate help me with them.

But it seems like the Eurolocs hair started to be worse quality (and same for the last few batches of His and Her Hair, the better quality stuff too) just seemed to mat up a lot quicker than they used too. So the last six mos I've gone to hair clips, but you know they stick out like a sore thumb lol.

After reading a lot of threads wanted to know:

A) Is Microlinks similar to Hairlocs/Eurolocs links?

b) Can Plastikhaar (or synth) be used similar like human hair and be used w/microlinks? Can Plastikhaars it be used w/shrinkies? 

c) love the look of shrinkies but if you have to use heat to apply does that create bonding with the hair and harder to get out?

d) If I stick with human hair, whose got the best consistant quality out there?   

It's great to see all the new products out now -

thank you so much  for your help :) 

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 2:43pm
A) yes
B) yes
C) Haven't actually put them in my hair yet so I'll let those who have answer
D) I only use synth so?
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 3:08pm

Hi Witchy Woman, I hear Bohyme Human Hair is pretty consistant.  Synthetic can be used w/shrinkies or microrings, but the maintenance/care is different than human hair.  You have to shampoo with cold water when you have synthetic, and use little heat as possible (velcro rollers are pretty good I hear!) 

Eurolocs/Hairlocs I think are a copper extension (I've heard horror stories about the copper eating at your hairs and discoloring your natural hair), but I do not have a personal experience with them.  Microlinks are metal, I believe.

Hopefully you'll get sounder advise from someone else!!  Good luck! 

Edited by Bridget
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 6:17pm

A) Microlinks, or microrings, are very similar to Hairlocs/Eurolocs. But the preferred DIY option seems to be extendtubes from hairpiece.com or haircandy.net, though. The major difference between extendtubes and Hairlocs/Eurolocs is that the loc is made of aluminum, not copper (which at least used to be what Hairlocs were made of; duuno if it still is), so they won't turn your hair green. I believe they do contain some nickel, which would only be a problem if you're allergic. I've heard lots of reports of damage from Hairlocs/Eurolocs (including my own hair), but none from extendtubes. And of course, the price difference is pretty amazing.

B) Yes, PlastikHaar and any monofiber/monofilament (as well as the thermofibers) can be used just fine with extendtubes or shrinkies.

C) Depends who you ask. Many women here have used the shrinkie method with great success and have no problems with removal; others have found it more difficult. My feeling about shrinkies are that they're a really good method if 1) you use the right tools and equipment (a dual-sided wand with temperature control, Doc's shrinkies rather than generic versions), and 2) you master the installation and removal technique before you apply them.

D) The best reviews of human hair are usually Bohyme, His and Her Cuticle (not the regular weaving version), Glamourhair, and probably Extensions-Plus.

Good luck! :)

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 6:26pm

Originally posted by Bridget Bridget wrote:

...the maintenance/care is different than human hair.  You have to shampoo with cold water when you have synthetic, and use little heat as possible (velcro rollers are pretty good I hear!)

The maintenance is somewhat different, but you can wash it in warm or hot water; I do it all the time. The hair just won't retain it's initial wave as well (keep in mind, the wave drops out of all synth to some extent anyway, so you need to reset it). You can use heat on synth hair, and in fact, it can be quite helpful. Hot rollers are the best, imo, and blow-drying smooths the hair out and makes it really silky; you just need to keep the blow-dryer moving so you don't singe it. Steamers and steam rollers are also great for synth hair. The only thing you need to be careful with are metal and ceramic hot tools. Metal curling irons and flaitrons can be used at relatively low temperatures on wet synth hair, but you need to test the strands first. Hot rollers are a better option, imo, because they definitely won't fry the hair. You can even curl the hair with boiling hot water, and as Bridget mentioned, you can use Velcro rollers; I imagine they'd work better if you blow-dryed with the rollers in, though.

:)

wtchywmn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtchywmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 8:11am

Great advice everyone!! thank you SOO MUCH for all your responses!..think I'll do some experimentin' and try a little of everything to see what works..have a great weekend :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic