Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do you really need to cut off that much?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 3:54pm
That's actually a good example KM. In that case unless the roofer was a bad case for the BBB he would probably do what you wanted. Unless there was a city ordinance.

Let's see,

Bagger at the store asks you "paper or plastic" and you say "paper." Bagger then uses paper.

ACCOLADY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACCOLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 4:31pm

Hi Robert!

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I like your example, as mine was struck down by a city ordinance. LOL.

That better explains it. Even though you might be able to get the cans home just fine in that paper bag, the grocer swears it will rain, choosing plastic.

I just love euphemisms!

Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 7:30pm
Ugh.  I'm away for just one day and look what transpires.  

I believe the conversation fell off track at the point where we individually decide for ourselves who we believe, regarding the condition of our hair -- a stylist, or ourselves (with our own eyes and fingers, with which we can sense very well how healthy our hair is).  I don't mean this as a slam against stylists but their opinions can be biased in favor of "serviceable actions" (meaning $ transfer from you to them).  If our "color diva" believed her hair was healthy "enough" as is (key determinant there being a standard of judgment based on the individual's own preferences), then that's what matters.

It is possible (obviously, from what's been voiced here) that people can have the same or similar goals, yet have different approaches to achieving them... and any number of them can work (while some might not work).  The color diva's desires -- to grow her hair longer (to her waist) and to continue to frequently color her hair are probably not very compatible.  In other words, the chances of that happening are not good.  Some believe that the best way to guide the "color diva" is to recognize that likelihood.  I find myself in that category.  I believe in dealing with realities, not avoiding them.

The point is not so much to express our preferences as guidance, but rather to apply what we know to help guide the advice seeker towards what they state that they want.  As the "color diva" has stated her wishes, counseling her to acquiesce to the advise of a stylist inclined to be biased towards "serviceable action" (payment for a 3" haircut), without any further counsel to reconsider the frequency of hair colorings, seems reckless.  However, you are entitled to have your opinion, and to express it, so long as it is civil.  The advise seeker is free to pick and choose among the advice offered here, even if they make a choice which ultimately won't best serve their stated objective.

Just my opinion.  Stated calmly, rationally, and (I hope) objectively.

All that said, I would like to ask the involved to pause, take a deep breath, and try to consider our own involvement in the escalation of the dialogue.  Certainly we can do better to keep the peace... right? 

Edited by DaveDecker
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 9:37pm

This thread was started back in March. 

Old posts of 2 months or more def shouldn't be brought back up...they need to start a new post….  That is a RULE here, which you can find in the introduction forum for new people.

• Please do not dig up ancient threads. If you wish to continue an old discussion (older than 1 month), please create a new thread and reference the old one in your post.

Thats all I have to say   No fighting words hehehe
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic