Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Props to all you DIY’er’s!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Props to all you DIY’er’s!!!
    Posted: March 19 2005 at 8:17am

So, last night had all my tips layed out, heat clamp ready, hair sectioned... going along pretty smoothly, until it came time to loop my hair through the shrinkie!  I used the sheild to seperate my piece for the extension, even glued the extension tip to the inside of the shrinkie for a easier/quicker install, I even had my hubby helping me!  It took over an hour for 5 extensions in!  I said the hell with this and took them out, came out pretty good, used baby oil and it worked with no complaints. 

I going to have a friend come over hopefully tomorrow and have her do them for me!  I'm so bummmmmed!  I wanted these damn things in once and for all! 

Question:  About how many tips would you say I need for a whole head?  I have about 175, but they're pretty small. 

Major PROPS to all you gals that can do this yourself!! 

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 9:53am
When I first started doing my own rings it went really slow (maybe not 5 in an hour but still SLOW).  I've never used the shield and while I think its a good idea i think it would add time to the process.  But you'll get used to it and be going much faster in no time.

How much length are you adding?  175 small tips may be a bit lite if you're adding a bunch of length.  I'm sure its fine if you're mostly adding volume.

What kind of tool are you using to loop your hair? I would have expected sectioning the hair to  be the most time consuming part not pulling a section through the shrinkie.

????

goodluck!
:)al

Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 10:25am

Sectioning wasn't bad at all.  I'm using the needle that I got from Dr locs for the shrinkies.  Yeah, I think 175 might be light.  My hair is just past my shoulders, adding lenght down to my hiney.  I found it extremely hard to use the heat tool while holding the shrinkie w/my other hand... I burnt myselft a couple of times...

I'll be back at it soon...

Edited by Bridget
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 11:04am

Yeah, if they're small, 250 might be a better number.

And I hear you: It's frustrating as hell doing your own hair. I've never done a whole head ever--only steaks and strands here and there--and it's maddeningly slow. This is one of the reasons why I don't do my own hair, actually. I'm sure it speeds up a lot after you've done it a few times, though.

The last time I did my boyfriend's head (about 40 streaks or so, with shrinkies), I kept using the guard, then not using the guard...it's faster without, but there are advantages to using it, too.

Good luck! :)

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 11:08am
Yeah if you were doing it completely alone with the heat toolt hat would be hard.  With the pliers i don't have to worry about causing any permanent damage. 
I'm doing shrinkies next and my Husband has promised to help so I don't burn myself or the house.  of course we'll see just how coordinated he is...
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 3:04pm
I know what you mean.  I'm tipping my hair at the moment ready for install and I really can't decide what to use, whether to use extentubes at the back and then shrinkies at the sides or just give the shrinkies a bash all over xxx
delin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 4:39pm

I agree, it takes considerable practice to be able to do the back of your head...but after awhile I think you develop a feel.  I don't use the shield, and definitely get some "strays" in where they shouldn't be, but overall it works ok. 

Necessity is the "mother of invention"...and as far as I'm concerned, these things are a necessity!   I've spent countless hours applying, un-applying, screwing up and having some success.  Really, it's become a hobby.  The whole time I'm applying a "new head", I'm thinking about what I'm going to be doing next time.

Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 5:56pm

Ahmen Bridget!

Those of you shrinkie DIYers have skills and patience!

Go for the tubes.There's not so much room for error with tubes, as there is with shrinkies.Hopefully, having your friend will get the job done!

As for flyaways/strays I used hairspray. That guard/shield was just an added step to slow me down.

Edited by Gina E
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 6:10pm
The thing with DIY is sectioning. You've got to keep hair out of the way that you're not dealing with.

Hair layout is another tip particularly if you're a person who wants layers. Have a vision in mind before starting and lay out the hair. All my hair is color coded and in paper tissues and labeled in lengths. Long 22"-& longer dark hair goes in on the bottom, 20" goes next,then 18" etc etc. My top layers are only 10-14". If you put in long strands on the top crown area, they will swing forward on you and flow away from the rest of the hair in that row. You'll look like a hair tard.

As far as like shrinkie application is concerned... section the strand, put your shrinkie on and then tap it with the wand until it shrinks down a little. When it's warm, that's when I insert the tip and I press down. The shrinkie adheres to the strand and you want to make sure it's lined up and then shrink it the rest of the way.

Sometimes I've had to do a strand over or I shrunk it down too much and the strand won't fit in but I'll get it eventually.

DIY takes a lot of patience. Never try to tackle a whole head install in one day. Take baby steps and do the sides with some extra volume and then try to master the length. Patience is the key.

Edited by amm
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 6:49pm

AMM

Oh wise one!  You always bring logic back...

"Hairtard"...I like that! Can I use that or do you own the copyright!*LOL*

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by amm amm wrote:

The thing with DIY is sectioning. You've got to keep hair out of the
way that you're not dealing with.

Hair layout is another tip particularly if you're a person who wants
layers. Have a vision in mind before starting and lay out the hair. All
my hair is color coded and in paper tissues and labeled in lengths.
Long 22"-& longer dark hair goes in on the bottom, 20" goes
next,then 18" etc etc. My top layers are only 10-14". If you put in
long strands on the top crown area, they will swing forward on you and
flow away from the rest of the hair in that row. You'll look like a
hair tard.

As far as like shrinkie application is concerned... section the strand,
put your shrinkie on and then tap it with the wand until it shrinks
down a little. When it's warm, that's when I insert the tip and I press
down. The shrinkie adheres to the strand and you want to make sure it's
lined up and then shrink it the rest of the way.

Sometimes I've had to do a strand over or I shrunk it down too much and the strand won't fit in but I'll get it eventually.

DIY takes a lot of patience. Never try to tackle a whole head install
in one day. Take baby steps and do the sides with some extra volume and
then try to master the length. Patience is the key.

Somebody please magnet this post. A better description there never was.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 9:05pm

Patience indeed. I pretipped 60 today, installed 10, and I'm thoroughly exhausted.

It's so true about the sectioning being the hardest part. I use the crochet hook (this time with extendtubes, and previously with shrinkies and microrings, too), and I have to say, I always feel like I'm just randomly grabbing at some hair with the hook, and if it seems like enough, I proceed. I'm incapable of creating nice, neat sections.

Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 2:53am
Hey Amm I'm really impressed with how you put your shrinkies in.  I'm definitely going to try that now thanks xx
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 9:55am
Thanks for all the pointers!  I'm definitly not giving up!  After reading all these responses, I'm ready to give it a shot again, like right now!!  I'll keep yins' posted! 
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 10:49am
Jenny, why do I not believe that your hair is as haphazardly sectioned as you suggest?

Seriously though.  I use lots of clips to hold everything out of the way except the row I am working on.  then I use my trusty 10 cent plastic rattail comb to make a vertical lilne for a section.  I then twist that hair around my finger a fewt ime and then put the hook on it to pull it through the ring.  Sometimes i end up with n ot enough hair to really support a strand but I don't have a lit of trouble with hair migrating from places it doesn't belong into my section.

I doubt this is fundamentally different than what anone else is doing, but if so and it helps so much thebetter.

:)al
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 11:06am
Yeah--I guess it's really laziness more than anything that's keeping me from making nice, neat sections. That's a good idea about twisting the hair around your finger first and then hooking it up. I'll try that. :)
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 11:21am

Yup Mocha... I ended up resoting to my fingers too. For us gals with fine flyaways. Use hairspray...with a haevy alchohol content. None of that shine,silicone BS. Save that good hairspray for styling!

octmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 8:26pm

bobbypins work really really well. Here is the post.

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20418 &KW=octmac

Octavia

Faces of Pain - One woman's Journey with Chronic Pain
www.octavaia@got-to-have-art.com
A world without ART is a world without color
GOT ART???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic