Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on Hair Care Emergency

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JHighland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHighland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on Hair Care Emergency
    Posted: March 22 2005 at 9:33pm
Hello,
I'm a new member who is looking for some advice on how to minimize the damage on a hair care blunder. My sister's stylist put in a relaxer on her hair today immediately before she put in micro braids. She experienced several burns on her scalp which are now leaking a clear fluid and are red and painful. What would be a good course of action? Would taking out the braids be a good idea or would it put more stress on her scalp? Is there anyway to avoid more damage to her hair? Sorry for the lack of a proper intro, I need some advice asap, please!
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 1:04am
if it were me- i would take the braids out immediately and leave the chemicals alone for at least 90 days. I'd moisturize twice daily(maybe with a good essential oil or a good hair butter being very gentle. I would also try conditioner washes, i'd also deep condition weekly with cholesterol or a good protein treatment. i'd shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo and if you still have issues(such as the sores getting worse, no improvement at all or hair falling or coming out)  after a week or two- i would see a dermatologist if you don't see any improvement.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 8:08am

Just wondering why the stylist permed than braided? Usually they tell you to have at least 3 weeks of new growth to make the braiding easier.

I would put aloe vera on the sores and go see the dermatologists.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 1:40pm
Yes!  I would take the braids out immedietly considering she has open sores.  The braids are pulling her scalp and putting extra stress on the sores, keeping them from healing properly.  I would definitely take them out because she may experience hair loss because her scalp is damaged.  Put neosporin on the sores until they heal and do as little to the hair as possible.
afrolatina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrolatina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 3:52pm

I would take the braids out immediately. She may want to rinse her hair with cool or lukewarm water just in case the stylist did not rinse out the relaxer well enough. And I would definitely consult a dermatologist.  If your sister feels she needs to do more than just rinse with water, I would recommend using a neutralizing product like Porosity Control (shampoo or just their conditioner).

After this, she may never want to go near a relaxer again (and I wouldn't blame her).  However, if she does, I would advise her to take her own products, especially Porosity Control. 

Every now and then I get a relaxer from someone who is a little aggressive and end up with a burning, sensitive scalp.  The only thing that instantly helps stop the burning is Porosity Control Conditioner.  I always take it with me to the beauty shop when I get a relaxer.  After the relaxer is rinsed from my hair with water, I have the beautician put the Porosity Control Conditioner in my hair to neutralize. Then I wash and condition.

I wish your sister well.  I hope she gets some relief soon.

nyx` View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyx` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 5:51pm

Take out those braids!

I would make sure that my hair is properly neutralized, if someone burns my calp that badly, I'd really wonder if they did any part of the relaxing process properly.  So I'd lather up with neutralizing poo and leave it in for 5 minutes.  Unless I'm SURE that my hair is neutralized.

Then she should deep condition her hair with her favorite deep conditioner.  Try and keep oils off of the scalp.  For a while at least I would try conditioner washes, apply leave ins and oil and put my hair in a bun.  That keps the hair moist, and protects it. 

Put neosporin on the burns until they heal.  After they have healed, if they are still irritated aloe vera gel is good to put on them.  If they are really bad, I'd go to a doctor.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic