Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of going short

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
angela24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angela24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking of going short
    Posted: March 23 2005 at 2:54pm
I've been thinking about going short but I'm worried there will be alot more maintenance than I have now??  I have had a shoulder length bob for about about 15 years.  It occasionaly gets below my shoulders but I end up cutting it again.  I also have very thick hair that is partly wavy.  I have to wear my hair off my shoulders at work so it gets stuck in a ponytail everyday (even when not a work) and I think I need a change.  I really like the messy looks ala Mandy Moore but don't know if I can pull it off.  Any suggestions??????
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 8:46pm

Post a pic and we can give you some good advice, otherwise it is really guess work.

Generally, thick, slightly wavy hair is great for short cuts - pixie like but there are so many more things to consider.

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 2:19am
The amount of maintenance required depends on the style you get.  Purposely messy styles look like you fall out of bed looking great every day, but it actually takes effort to get the hair looking messy without poking out weirdly and looking dorky.  Make sure you understand what's required in time and product before you get a style.  And if you want a cut that'll pretty much fall into place on its own, make sure you tell that to the stylist.  Some stylists like to think everyone has an hour to fuss with their hair every day :-P .

Edited by Kuroneko
More awesome than a manatee!
Strawberry-Kisses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strawberry-Kisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 7:09am

A simple style which doesn't require much maintenance is a shorter bob. My hair has quite a wavy texture but when it is short it calms down a bit.

Maybe you could try a few inches above the shoulders or chin length and if you like it go shorter?

angela24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angela24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 1:12pm

Okay here what my hair looks like now.  I have to wear it back at work so it usually gets thrown into a pony tail on the weekends too.

Edited by angela24
angela24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angela24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 2:00pm

This is what I would like to have but I'm not sure that it would look good with my face shape???

Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 3:03pm

IMO wearing you hair down in it current bob style seems to overly elongate your face making it look quite long - certainly in comparison to the picture with your hair tied back.

Cutting your hair to your desired style would solve this and would certainly suit you.  I'd say go for it.

Its your hair, your choice and your decision
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 8:02am
I like that style, and you're a pretty lady, so it should look fine on you.
More awesome than a manatee!
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 8:47am

Hi Angela!

As the others have said: it will work out just fine.  To get that exact style, you'll have to do some styling though ...

Nevertheless, inform the stylist if you want a really low maintance hairstyle!  Then they can adapt it a bit, the result will be slightly different, but quicker done.  Certainly ask for a 'how to style every day' explanation.  From what I gather around here (if the board is a good sample) many hairstylists don't bother to explain.  Which is a shame.  The quicker you enjoy your new hairstyle, the more positive you'll be about your stylist.

lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 11:00am

omg!!!!   you can so pull off that cut   you have a nice face and nice hair  i say go for it!!!!

if you are too scared why not try a really short bob kinda lip length first and then if you love that  like im sure you will then go even shorter.......my wife was soo scared to go short but now she loves it short and has kept it short for almost a year

Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!
cutmore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 12:31pm
I love that look on Mandy! SOOOOO much better than the long boring hair she had
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic