Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

my ’shoelace’ size tips...were too big!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mtolady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtolady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my ’shoelace’ size tips...were too big!
    Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:51am
well...i thought about doing my extensions last night...and that thought lasted all of a 1/2 hour.

seems hubby is a little less coordinated at sectioning hair than i thought.  and when i tested putting the pretips into the shrinkies...the tips were hugely big!!!  I guess the 'shoelaces' i buy have larger tips than the suggested 'think shoelaces'.  so i decided to pretip again using the shrinkies and then a dab of nail glue....at least i see how the shrinkies are working w/ that hair.

maybe i'l try again on saturday morning...and perhaps my daughter can help me a bit w/ the sections.

on the tips, i've put the shrinkie about 1/4" back from the top of the tip...and then i nail glue the fuzzy ends.  I figure when i install, i'll put a shrinkie through MY hair, and then if the other shrinkie makes it into the first cool, if not then the nail glue tip will be inside the shrinkie.

i think the biggest issue will be working on my own head....and not being close enough to see it....wish i was a superhero w/ special magnification vision!
has someone been swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool again?
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:55am
yeah shoelace size makes sense to me but...

1/16" diameter tips are small.  Usable but but small.  1/8" are too big so it s fine line.

You'll get the gist of it and get your hair in soon I'm sure

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 9:10am
Those must be some nuclear bionic shoelaces you were fashioning your tips after, mto.

You don't want to have to cram them into the shrinkie anyway. They'll be far too uncomfortable to sleep on and they'll never stay in for any length of time. There's also the risk of putting too much weight on your own hair strands.
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:58pm
Last time I made tips, I thought they were tiny, but it turned out they were just right.  I guess my advice is "think small."
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 9:02pm
Same thing happened to me: I thought I was making them small enough for the small-size extendtubes, but I ended up having to use the mediums. :)
mtolady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtolady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 8:43am
actually, they are turning out much nicer pretipping w/ the shrinkies and then topping w/ nail glue...neat w/ minimal shedding.

that damn gorilla glue is STIFF and it's messy.

i still have this thin coat on my left hand..fingertips, etc.

yukko.  but...while i've had the glue out for those, i've been fixing all the broken things in the house that no one ever has the time to glue! LOL
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 9:24am

[QUOTE=amm]Those must be some nuclear bionic shoelaces you were fashioning your tips after, mto.

I was thinking the same thing!  Shrinkies are pretty forgiving if your tips are some what big, you have a lot of room. 

Mto, I had difficulty on my install too, one tip from AMM (which is KEY!) is when you're doing the back, or sides, which ever, tap the shrinkie w/the heat wand a couple times and that way the shrinkie will shrink a bit and attach itself to your tip.  This way you can make sure you tip is in proper position before the total shrink down.  This helped me so much, especially on the back areas.  Maybe AMM can chime in here...

Also, to save yourself some time, you said you where pretipping w/shrinkies right?  I found it extremely easy and saves a lot of time to leave the hair on the weft while doing this.  Then just snip it off when you're ready for that tip. 

Good luck Mto!

mtolady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtolady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 10:09am
they're already off the weft from previous pretipping that failed....but i'll remember that when i do another grouping of hair.

i think once my daughter is done w/ her show, i'll try pinchbraiding her - she likes highlights, but it does nasty things to red hair!

and of course, if we do "neat" things to her hair, she'll start a trend.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic