Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

**AMM’s Pretipping Technique**

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: **AMM’s Pretipping Technique**
    Posted: April 01 2005 at 4:05am
Please note: I'm creating this thread for archiving purposes only.

Here, AMM is using Liquid Gold is using Liquid Gold glue, which is inexpensive and easy to work with. However, this same basic techinque can be used with latex glue, keratin glue, and even gorilla glue.

AMM's Technique:
"I recommend buying 1/2 oz sizes of LG when you're beginning instead of the full 1 oz.

I do not use bulk hair whatsoever. When you pull the amount of hair out you need, stray hairs always come with and then it's too difficult to even them back out. I always buy hand-tied or regular weft to make my strands. Never cut a hand-tied weft unless you plan on being very careful with it. Hand-tied can (and most likely will) unravel.

I take the weft and cut the amount of hair I want off the weft (I don't cut the weft itself) and then pull the excess short hairs out. The short hairs are simply from the hair folded over when it was sewn into a weft. It's important to remove them because if you don't, it makes the tip bulkier and doesn't add any thickness to your strand.

Next, I place the hair flat on the table on a piece of shopping bag (to protect the table from glue) and then simply brush the glue on the tip about 1/4 inch from the top and brush toward the end. I use a popsicle stick (or anything flat and disposable) and I press it down and run it up through, making sure the glue saturates each strand and gets rid of excess. I set it aside (hang it over the edge of the table so the tip doesn't touch anything and stick to it) and do this for about 10 strands.

After I've done about 10, I go back to the first one and now the glue is tacky and I roll each one between the thumb and forefinger and shape them.

If you plan on doing the microlink method, test the first one you do and make sure it fits through the link. You can adjust your strand size accordingly after that. With shrinkies, you have a lot of room to make big big strands because the openings are huge.

I let all the strands cure overnight and then I take each one and put just a tiny drop of Nailene glue (or a good nail glue that you prefer) on the ends. This ensures the tips keep their shape and don't come apart.

I've been using the same pre-tipped hair for several months with almost zero shedding and I don't ever have to do maintenance on the tips again. They don't flatten or spread apart at all.

The first time I pre-tipped a full 1/4 lb weft it took be about 2 ½ hours in front of the TV but now I can get it done in about 1½ hours.  It's well worth it because you can use the hair of your choice, blend multiple colors, make them any size to suit your needs, and when you do it right, you never have to maintenance the tips again.

The cost savings is enormous. I'm making my own pre-tipped for less than $2 a strand and that includes hair, glue and everything.

Here is an example of what your finished tips will look like:

:)"

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 4:11am
Ahhh yes. The source of my impending carpal tunnel.

Now it seems all I do is tip bulk.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic