Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ageing, hair length and extensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
delin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ageing, hair length and extensions
    Posted: April 01 2005 at 11:59pm

Disclaimer:  This isn't going to impart any wisdom concerning application technique or hair selection...just a thought I wanted to share. 

I'm sure you've heard the old adage "once you're 40, you shouldn't wear long hair, it ages you"... When I was in my 30's, I probably would have agreed.  (kind of like when I was 15 and I thought 35 was really old)

I can't think of a better way to retain a more youthful appearance than hair extensions.  As collagen production lessens, our hair becomes thinner and dryer.  What better way to maintain healthy looking hair!  Granted I've left the more adventerous colors behind...but I still love softly layered longer hair.

On an episode of  Beverely Hills Dr. 90210 this over middle-aged woman spent a small fortune having her face lifted, lips plumped and a chin implanted to look younger...and then she keeps the helmet hair...huge mistake.  IMO a healthy lookin' mane would have improved her more than anything.  Just a thought

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 3:48pm
No one has ever accused me of growing old gracefully.
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 4:34pm
I am going to be 39 in may and since putting in the extensions my clients and friends say I look ten years younger! My daughter (11) thinks I look 18...........I Love her!!!
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 8:38pm
I dont think there is anything wrong with you wearing extensions. Everyone wants to feel young and beautiful no matter what age you are. I have seen lots of women in their forties and up with butt length hair. It almost always looked great..they looked like adult women who felt good about themselves.I think a short haircut on an older woman can make her look even older.I dont think you should cut your hair shorter than chin length.And long hair as far as I'm concerned is timeless.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 8:57pm
I totally agree. The conventional wisdom that women should cut their hair short when they're above a certain age is pretty ridiculous, imo. More often than not, I think a little length makes women look younger, not the other way around. :)
mtolady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtolady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 11:52pm
i think that goes along with just "letting yourself go".  i'm 37 and i think i look a lot older b/c my kids have just worn me out.  so makeup and hair color and style are important....along with trying to keep fit.
--
my daughter and i tried the shrinkies this AM, but she just didn't get the fact that you couldn't fuse them an inch from the scalp...and that SMALL sections of hair were just that....SMALL.

so i decided i'd color my hair instead.....and the guy at the liquor store tonight did one of those "you are 21, right?"

...uh yea, last time i checked...at least my 16yo knows i'm 21....as i'm standing with my 46yo hubby.  Of course i tease him for robbing the cradle.

my oldest sister (55yo) has been hair colorless for years, yet she gets a facial every two weeks....she has minimal wrinkles, but mostly salt and pepper hair just plays havoc on her visual age.  sure i'd love to not have to worry about roots, etc.....but i like running into the school for my daugher and people thinking we're sisters. (no kidding - we live in a very small Catholic town....families are HUGE and can span like 25 years for siblings)

here's to just caring enough about ourselves to look good!!
has someone been swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool again?
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 6:06pm
I agree, the conventional wisdom does not always work. Yes, sometimes long hair makes women look older; but more often than not, it's the old-lady haircut that does it! An old-lady style is an old-lady style, whether it's short or long. And I think short hair is actually -more- associated with age, since so many middle-aged and older women cut their hair short. I mean geez, when I did my mom's extensions and then introduced her to my friends out here, they all thought she was my sister at first. :) In conclusion...conventional wisdom be damned. "Staying young" means wearing what -you- think looks good on you, not what other people say you should wear.

-Rae
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 2:34am
You guys. What should and shouldn't be, what we should and shouldn't do are only valid through concensus; they are not real.

Only you know what works for you and your life. When people tell you what they think you should do, thank them for their opinion. Then do whatever you want.

Dreads, colors, piercing, extensions, nails...if you feel beautiful, I'm enrolled. I think you're beautiful, too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic