Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what do you say when ppl ask..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kirstyx1888xmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirstyx1888xmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what do you say when ppl ask..
    Posted: April 02 2005 at 1:39am

if your hair is all yours? or if they say gawddd your hair is soooo nice

how long did it take you to grow?

no1 at my work has ever asked think they jsut think its all mine but if they were to ask i think i wuld admit..just incase one fell out

but if im out in a club or a pub i always just say ye its real  hehe

metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 1:06am
If someone asks me if the hair is all mine, I reply, "Yes it is, I paid for it!"  I never hesitate to admit to my extensions because it's good advertising for my business.  I make sure my hair always looks good when I'm out and about, and no one can guess it's extensions anyway, they just think I have extremely thick, long hair.
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 1:58am

Originally posted by metalgirl metalgirl wrote:

If someone asks me if the hair is all mine, I reply, "Yes it is, I paid for it!"  I never hesitate to admit to my extensions because it's good advertising for my business.  I make sure my hair always looks good when I'm out and about, and no one can guess it's extensions anyway, they just think I have extremely thick, long hair.

WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 10:21am

I tell people ALL THE TIME that they're extensions, that I DO THEM MYSELF (partially anyway), and how much I love them.

It's funny. . .I think I used to be much more secretive about it. I'm not sure when this changed. . .I had a friend over yesterday and my hair was up and some braids were showing, and she said "do you have BRAIDS in your hair?" She thought I'd gone to the beach or something. I said "oh yeah, those are my extension braids!" and she was like WHA????????  This is someone who I've known for years, have had over swimming in our pool, etc.  So I guess I hadn't ever told her and she was completely FLOORED at how fabulous my hair looked, and that they were extensions.

My thing is that I just want my hair to look fabulous -- and let's be honest. Very few people have really great hair without it having a LOT of "help". I just hate to contribute AT ALL to the possibility that a woman might think that once again she's been cheated, there's something wrong with her, etc., that she doesn't have that Hollywood look. . . so I love shedding light on the issue by admitting to the hair extensions AND also letting her know that most fabulous Hollywood hair is also add-on. . .

Fina

weaveitup^_^ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaveitup^_^ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 2:16pm
people rarely ask. but when they do, i just say its weave...and if they want theirs done. lmao, i need some $$
octmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 2:20pm

Good point Fina..

Seeing that this extension thing is fairly new to me ( Aug 04 - except for a few summer of braids) most of the time, I just agree that "yes my hair does seem to grow fast"...but I am getting much for comfortable letting people know. I also find myself checking out other really long pretty hair, you know, a sneak peek at the hairline to see what type of extension they have...I can usually tell if I look really close...ended up falling on someone the other day, as I tried to lean over to check out the top of her hair...we ended up in a tangled mess.....both of us laughing our @#@ off!!  

Octavia

Faces of Pain - One woman's Journey with Chronic Pain
www.octavaia@got-to-have-art.com
A world without ART is a world without color
GOT ART???
plastikhaar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plastikhaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 2:40pm
well since my hair is dyed turqouise and the extensions are aswell..
(at the moment, that changes often!)
i cant believe that so many ppl asking: "is this your natural hair?"
i often say: "yep! ive been born like this!"
sorry! but how "natural" can so much green hair be?
plus i got the whole head pinch braided, its obvious, isnt it?

: )

anyway, its fun, i like to be "fake", dont mind that : )

sara
need some great hair?
plastikhaar hair.supply
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 4:07pm
My favorite was when i went from alternating between days when I had natural colored hair that was either shoulder length or elbow length (clip ins) before christmas to elbow/waist length Blue and Green braids after new years.  My boss asked "Is that all your real hair"  I had to respond, "No, but if you know a way to make my hair grow three feet overnight please let me know. It would save me a lot of trouble."  We were both on our way to a meeting where my other boss started in with a similar line of questioning.  You'd think by now they'd have learned.

zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 5:51pm
Yeah, like metalgirl, I always tell. I also rarely do anything -too- natural-looking, because then people assume it's my own hair and don't comment on it or ask about it. If it's obviously (or more likely) fake, then people ask me about it and I've got a chance to schmooze them. :)

I get a lot of stoopid questions though. Like when I had thin yellow plastic tubing in with my dreads, and people asked, "Is that hair?"

Ummm, yeah. It's a special kind of hair that grows out of special kinds of follicles, that are coincidentally only found on plastic-making machines. I should just start telling people that i'm a thalidomide baby, and my hair just grows like this.

-Rae
X-tend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X-tend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 10:45pm

ROFL! You girls are too funny...

Sometimes I think its rude when people ask, I dunno. I do end up telling them though if they ask. I have really thick long hair to begin with but I like adding in clip in streaks or a few shrinkie extensions , so I guess I get annoyed if someone thinks it's ALL fake.

Now that I am on this board I feel a little different however, everyone is proud of their extensions, and rightfully so, they look amazing!

Nothings worse than sitting around with  a bunch of people and having one loud catty girl blurting out "Hey are those FAKE eyelashes your wearing????" and do you have hair extensions too??? Everything gets silent and I want to just yell back at her...."YES and this is a push-up bra!"

Ya know??

zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 12:07am
Oh lord yes. Imagine if people asked about ALL the "modifications" us women use- it'd just be inappropriate. "Are those control-top pantyhose?" "Is your ass naturally like that, or have you had a fanny lift?" "Is your skin really that nice, or are you just wearing heavy makeup?"

Sometimes people ask (about the extensions) in a curious and polite way, and that's fine. It's when they act like it's not as good as "natural" hair that it bugs me. It ain't like the average woman is all that "natural" anyway.

-Rae
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 2:17am
Maybe 10 yrs or so ago, I was at an event with my then hockey-player boyfriend and I had long dark wavy hair (extensions, of course). I heard two women (girls) talking about me and one of them said, "No one has hair like that." I felt like saying to them "Yes, my hair is fake, but at least my boobs are real."

You can borrow that any time.
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 6:09am
Syren...I cant borrow that one cause my boobs are fake too LOL!
kirstyx1888xmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirstyx1888xmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 12:31pm

ye i hate it when ppl r like ohh thats not ur natral hair

the implication is always that ur a fake

i dont mind if its real or not as long as it looks good

patsycrime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsycrime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 2:36pm
i just tell them the brutal truth:
"honey, it's faker than a fish-stick and i did it myself!"
growing out long hair takes good genes and time...this took EFFORT and SKILL....this is something that took practice, and if they don't know it isn't "mine" i did a pretty good job, right? it's like the difference between a compliment on your natural hair color (absolutely out of your control) and your amazing painting/musical ability/pie recipe/insert DIY proclivity of your choice...(not only within your control, but  also a product of your own ingenuity and talent)...
with few exceptions, they want me to do THEIR hair.

btw:any extensionists in the denton (north of DFW, TX) who need more clients, let me know...i'm not cool with doing extensions for strangers as i have zero professional training, but they ask all the time.  i can put in a good word for you...

Edited by patsycrime
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic