Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gluing pre-tipped hair into shrinkie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
luzminerva4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luzminerva4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gluing pre-tipped hair into shrinkie
    Posted: April 05 2005 at 6:04am

gluing the pre-tipped hair into the shrinkie. How do you do this and what do you glue it in with?

Thx!

Edited by luzminerva4u
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 6:11am
I think there's a few gals here who have done it or tried it, and Im pretty sure they used a drop of nailglue. I cant remember off hand if it was successful or not. Im sure of one the others that have done this will chime in here.....
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 8:15am

I say try it! Maybe start with 10-20 and see how you like it. As Sherrie suggested, nail glue will work and you can also try clear nail polish.On one hand the install will definately go faster(though a full head will take hours, even longer for a newbie...and trust me, I've been there!!!) by pretipping the shrinkies. On the other hand...it's an extra step. Again, you've gotta try it to know what your preference is!! It's always an experiment...a snowball effect.

To answer a Q from another thread...I use keratin glue to pretip. Here's my demo: http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20506 &KW=pretipping     However...you would have to completly cover the keratin tips with nail glue when using shrinkies because the heat will bond the glue to your hair otherwise. Thus creating a full on fusion install! If you choose latex:  http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20483 &KW=pretipping  I'm no fan of LG, but again...this goes back to preference. Most girls here use shrinkies. I've had better results with extendtubes. Keratin is my next mission. Never tried pinchbraids or heatseals. You just gotta play around and see what you like!

If you're unsure whether to try shrinkies or tubes...I think Kristin sells trial packs. This is where I get my glue and tubes from. She ships Fast! http://haircandy.net/   Although I have Docs heat wand because of the temp. cotrol http://drlocks.net

Hope this helps and let us know how it works!       

Edited by Gina E
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 8:19am
Don't forget this site for extentubes, too...

http://www.geocities.com/halfamice/Microlink.html

250 tubes for only $10 - it's the least expensive on the net. Write to her first, get the details and inquire about shipping.

As far as shrinkie and glue.. hey, just try it!

Edited by amm
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 8:22am

Word up!

BTW thanks for that link...how'd i miss that one?

Edited by Gina E
luzminerva4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luzminerva4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 2:25pm

WOW!! You guys rock!  I really appreciate all the support.

My hair looks pretty good with the hairlocs in but I hate all the damage I know it's doing (cuz I see little pices of my hair all over my bathroom everyday) and I hate paying them to so much money to work on my hair.  I know I can do it myself and make it look even better.

I am going to take the hair locs out my self, thx Amm for that suggestion.  I'll keep you all posted.

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 3:08pm
Gina - Aren't most commercially available pretips made with Keratin (I know MB's aren't).  But even the ones available on Doc's site that are specifically for shrinkies?  I thought you needed a lot more keratin in a bond than you get with just a pretip...

Not that the presence of the Keratin wouldn't make some difference just maybe not a full on fusion bond.  Please correct me if I've been sniffing the LG for too long.

:)al
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 5:22pm
Good luck, Luz. I had hairlocs before, and it was the same deal: damaging, ridiculously overpriced, tons of slippage, and actually turned my hair green (I'm platinum blonde). So yeah, you can definitely find a better solution, and shrinkies and extentubes are both good DIY options.

I have tried to glue pretipped hair onto extendtubes, not shrinkies, and I found it more difficult to place the shrink exactly where you want it, but it's worth a try. I think HisandHer's actually sells their Ring-X and Tube-X hair with the tips already attached, so someone must be using them. You can see the photos here:
http://hisandher.com/store/shop_sub.asp?main=MAIN_001& sub=SUB_016

(You'll most likely get better quality hair at a better price by doing this yourself, though, rather than buying from H&H.)

Good luck! :)
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 9:31pm

Originally posted by mochachip mochachip wrote:

Gina - Aren't most commercially available pretips made with Keratin (I know MB's aren't).  But even the ones available on Doc's site that are specifically for shrinkies?  I thought you needed a lot more keratin in a bond than you get with just a pretip...

Not that the presence of the Keratin wouldn't make some difference just maybe not a full on fusion bond.  Please correct me if I've been sniffing the LG for too long.

:)al

Well..I've never purchased commercial pretips. I make my own...so I can't compare them. However...I experienced a bit a shedding because I went too light on the keratin. So, I'v found... either way you'll need to backtrack and use nail glue for longivity and protection. Light fusion I'm guessing is the eqiuvalant of LG without nail glue. It would yield the same psudo fusion?! I currently prefer fusion. LG creates an uncomfortable sensation to my bum=pain in the a$$

You do have your windows open, right? Huffing is bad for you man!

Edited by Gina E
Cali-Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 12:55am

Amm wrote:

"Don't forget this site for extentubes, too...
http://www.geocities.com/halfamice/Microlink.html
250 tubes for only $10 - it's the least expensive on the net. Write to her first, get the details and inquire about shipping.
As far as shrinkie and glue.. hey, just try it! "

Has anyone ordered and recieved the links? Are they really Extendtubes? Are they based in the US? Sorry so many questions but it's almost a price that's too good to be true!

-Kristin

Edited by CaliforniaKristin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic