Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

transitioning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nubianqt86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nubianqt86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transitioning
    Posted: April 05 2005 at 1:10pm
My hair is currently in braids, but when giving my hair a break from them is there any product I can use to help smooth the new growth. I want to avoid chemicals at all cost. I've heard about Naturlaxer and Culture 7 day, are these any good?
weaveitup^_^ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaveitup^_^ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 11:50pm

coconut and lime natural relaxer is an option. you make it and leave it in for like an hour. i have seen good reviews on it.

but if your looking for something temporary, elasta qp glaze or JAM work well

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nubianqt86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 7:57am

Cocunut and lime? Coconut milk and lime? can you explain that please?

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 9:27pm

Correct me if I'm wrong weave it up, but I have heard of the coconut lime relaxer. Here is my findings on it.

I heard that you either take milk straight from the coconut or in a can and you let it sit in the fridge for a few hours until there is a skin or creme formed on top. You use that 'skin' and mix it with alittle lime juice and EVOO and apply to new growth. Put a plastic cap on and then wait for an hour or so to rinse it out and shampoo. You have to make sure to use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards as the lime can be drying to some hair. From what I've read this method straightens new growth until the next washing.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
weaveitup^_^ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaveitup^_^ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 10:53pm

yep! thats the stuff! but i also heard it gradually straightens the hair regardless of washing. i dunno for sure

I believe its 1 cup coconut milk to 1/4 cup lime juice, shake well, and let sit untill cream floats to the top, usually over night or 8 hours. Scoop the cream out apply it to your hair and let sit for an hour then rinse.

information sourcehttp://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php ?t=47542

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 8:16am
If she is going natural, I'm not sure thats the method to use. Seeing that the concotion does cause a chemical reaction with the hair causing it to straighten it. Even if it takes more than one application it is still breaking the bonds of the hair.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2005 at 8:02am
That's a good point Cmesweet. I have also heard that some women believe it only straightens alittle because of the conditioning properties of coconut. I have not attempted this myself so I'm not sure which. I have also heard of women using powdered milk in place of the coconut.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nubianqt86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 7:57am
I took my braids down last night and washed my hair. I knew that their would be alot of shedding , but i was still shocked. As i massaged my scalp and felt my new growth I realized that this was going to be really hard. Im in college and my friends don't think I'll be able to transition, they're waiting for me to give up. I still want to grow this perm out though, so what they think doesn't matter. Once I decide to do  something its pretty much done. Still though, This next year or so won't be easy. I need support! HELP!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 9:53am
You have alot of support, right here at HairTalk!  What did you find out would be hard to you, after you massage your scalp? We can go from there and move forward.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nubianqt86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 1:27pm
 Well, I'm going to try to keep my hair braided most of the time, but the thought of seeing that much hair everytime they come down is not exciting. I'm trying to avoid heat at all cost so I've been letting my hair dry in a bun. Its smooth now, but how long will that last? I guess I'm thinking to far ahead. Thanks cmesweet! When things get rough, I'll let you know!
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 11:29pm
I'm not a transitioner (Not yet!) but you have my support. I know what you mean about the shedding. I've been doing braidouts but they haven't been kind to me. I always get more shedding with it than with using heat, but I haven't given up with it yet. I'm doing a braidout right now!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nubianqt86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 10:55am
The braidout looks good, but how do you keep it up?
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 6:58pm
I've been using care free curl and spraying it on a few times a day. It keeps it moist. I have yet to master the braidout. Usually after the 2nd day I have to do something else with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic