Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Silicone, Epoxy and Latex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
luzminerva4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luzminerva4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silicone, Epoxy and Latex
    Posted: April 07 2005 at 7:43am

Please forgive this stupid question but... Are these all different.  I don't have the patience to research the internet right now, do you ladies know?

Also note Amm's warning:

Please please please look at flashpoints on anything you're going to be putting under a heat wand or near a heat source.  If you're not sure, Google the MSDS (material safety data sheets) on a product. Some epoxy compounds are HIGHLY flammable.

Edited by luzminerva4u
That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Hapiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 8:42am
Very different.  Epoxies are two part resins that are mixed together to cause the chmical reaction that eventually causes them to harden.

Latex is rubber, like gloves or condoms.  Latex glue, or liquid latex body paint, is formulated so that the solvent evaporates when the container is open or the glue is exposed to air.

Silicone closer to latex than latex.  In the case here it is in a solvent which evaporates when it is removed from its container allowing it to harden.

They all start wet and somewhat runny and pliable. They all harden to one extent or another.  They all come in many varieties.  But their chemical structures are different.  Which different chemical structures come different water resistances, flash points, etc

:)al
luzminerva4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luzminerva4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 3:33pm

Thx Mochachip,

That's what i thoght!

That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Hapiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 6:24pm
Mocha,

Since they're resin, can epoxies still melt when reheated? I know that resin-resins can melt with enough heat, although it may require much more than with other glues.

:)
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 6:30pm
Usually epoxies would burn rather than melt. It's a chemical reaction that changes them from the original components when the two parts are mixed.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 6:32pm
Hmm...the plot thickens... :)
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 6:53pm
And if you look at the packages they list the temps that they can withstand you have to be above 120c wich is the temp of most heat wands
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 11:35pm
Again looking at the MSDS is a good way to go.  The epoxies I use at school withstand up to ~ 400 F.  BUt they are not five minute epoxies...
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 6:08am
Ok, gotcha. Thanks again! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic