Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair mass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aiya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair mass
    Posted: April 07 2005 at 11:22am
Hi I have a question my hair after i wash it and let it drys, the strands of hair all fall down in their own paths.  I have thin hair btw.  However, either when my hair is wet or I put some wax on it, the hairs "clump" into groups, making the hair look like its more "fuller", as if they were "thicker strands" instead of having single thin strands lying around.  I was wondering if I after a while if I keep styling my hair like this, my hair will naturally grow in these "clumps".

Also I have another question, my hair is "dry" in the "front" but the hairs on the back of my hair always seem more hydrated and oiled (after wash).  Could this be how I am washing my hair? or the quality of my water?  THanks!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 8:30pm

When hair is wet, it does "plump" up a little bit. My bun always looks ginormous when it's wet, but it shrinks a teeny bit after drying. As for the clumping, I think people call it "sectioning".... Usually this makes hair look a little more weighed down, so that part makes no sense to me  However hair will not grow into sections unless you're divyying up the hair on your head and making a large number of ponytails, . The base of the hair will have a "memory".... if you comb your hair a particular way for several weeks, for example a center part, usually the hair will "get the point".

If there is an oil variation in your hair after a wash, It could be (1) not distributing the shampoo or conditioner evenly throughout the head. You could try diluting the shampoo in an empty ketchup squeeze bottle first. Then that would even out the application of the shampoo. As for the conditioner, you could try combing the C through the hair before rinsing. (2) Do you rinse thoroughly? Not rinsing the conditioner evenly could result in oilier hair in the back. You could also try rinsing a second time "upside down", bent over at the waist and letting your hair fall forward. That would get the hair in the back.

Hope this helps!

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
aiya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 9:01pm
hi thanks for replying!

few more things...
my back actually is oiler and thats what i want my front to be like.., the front always is dry ... Also could you explain more by what you mean diluting with the ketchup bottle? thanks!

also what do u mean combing the C? thanks!

Edited by aiya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 11:51am

If the front is truly dry, you could try oiling lightly with jojoba or coconut oil. Coconut oil usually responds better to Asian hair. You'd be using 1 or 2 drops of oil, massaged between the hands, and run over the hair in the front.

Dilution with the ketchup bottle (Dilution a la DaveDecker) just means putting the amount of shampoo you normally use.. into a squeezie ketchup bottle, and then add about 4-6 oz of water. Mix the shampoo with the water gently, without making suds. Then, apply the solution to your scalp as usual.

C is just my abbreviation for Conditioner  When you apply conditioner, the best case scenario is to comb it through the hair evenly, using a seamless shower comb.

Hope this helps

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
aiya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 10:31pm
hi thanks again for replying, i have one more question. Ok for some reason the bottom of my hair (underneath) looks smooth and silky, but the top seems very dry, and discolored? What i mean by discolored is that it seems almost "white" in the light, not dark black like the bottom.  Is this normal? am I washing my hair wrong or something? could it be product buildup? do you have pictures of what product buildup looks like? and what are split ends? thanks! sorry for all these questions!

Edited by aiya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 12:41am

Hey there Aiya,

Pretty username, by the way.

All mammals with fur (including humans) have the underlayers of their hair feeling silkier and softer. The top layer is always coarse (bigger-stranded) because it puts up with more wear. I believe the coarseness variation just an effect of evolution.

In your case, the damage and color variation might be from one of the following:

• Use of products such as hairspray/mousse/gel/whatever
  • sun exposure, or other elements
  • heat styling tools such as flat-ironing the top layers of hair.
  • hats or other things that touch your top layers
  • highlighting the hair in the past. I've seen dye jobs turn weird colors over time.

Discoloration, if you didn't have it before, is usually due to heat or chemicals, or otherwise EXTREME dryness.

Product buildup usually does not change the appearance of your hair. It DOES change the texture sometimes, making hair feel brittle or gooey. It can also make hair slightly less shiny. Buildup can be managed with a weekly apple cider vinegar rinse (as detailed in my signature website, under "Clarifying" on the menu. In fact, have a look at other sections if you like)

Split ends are some of a variety of different categories for hair damage. Splits look like forked tongues. It's where the outside covering of the hair strand has worn away, leaving the hair strand to unravel like a rope. The only solution to a split end is to cut it off above the damage.

Other kinds of damage include what I call "exploded cortexes". They look like white dots that don't brush away. The hair usually bends at a sharp angle at white dot points. Those need to be snipped off strand-by-strand as well.

More about damage removal is detailed in my site.

Hope this helps you

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
aiya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 10:59pm
hi thanks alot for the post it really helped. ONe last question, you said hair has "memory". So if currently my hair goes striaght down is it possible to make it go to start growing "diagonally". I mean I'm not trying to change it's straightness, just which angel it is growing at. Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 2:24pm

Yes, it is possible... just comb it where you want it, while it's still wet. Make sure it dries in that position. Usually if you do this several days in a row, your roots will get the idea. This is why hair develops a "natural part" when you keep doing it.

HTH

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
aiya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 11:32pm
hi thanks alot for all you rhelp, i just have one last question.  When the hair starts realizing i want to go in another direction and the new hair starts growing in that direction, won't the old hair already haven grown be stubborn and try to sway in the original direction? Or is this not how hair works hehe. I ask this because I've tried to get hair to go a certain direction before and it always seems to want to fall back to its original direction when its dry.  Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 12:07pm

Just like everyone's hair properties are different, I think there are also different "levels of manipulation". Meaning, some people's roots are just easier to manipulate. You could certainly try this method. If it doesn't work, and you really really want it to stay a certain way, you'd have to use a hold product. However keep in mind that hold products are not recommended for dry or damaged hair.

Hope this helps

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic