Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asians with naturally wavy/curly hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
happycamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happycamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asians with naturally wavy/curly hair?
    Posted: April 10 2005 at 1:39pm
I was under the impression that pretty much all Asians (specifically East Asians) had straight hair but there's this guy in my class who has really nice wavy hair and I'm pretty positive it's natural.  I was just wondering if this was more common than I thought, and if so, is it more prevalent among certain ethnicities?  I'm not sure what ethnicity he is but he's definitely Asian...

anyways, just wondering.  thanks for reading. 
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 2:27pm

I think this is mostly "South Asian", or in the India, Bangladesh and surrounding countries areas.

Or sometimes, a person whose parents are different ethnicities in the same "Asian" classification (e.g. Chinese mother, Thai father) Or if there is a grandparent or great grandparent who is the black sheep of the family (e.g. a Japanese ancestor in a predominantly Laotian family tree) then the offspring has the chance of getting wavy hair.

Did that make sense?

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 1:07am
i agree with anaisatin. he is probably mixed or have naturally wavy hair in his blood. you should see south east asians. you can see indians with straight hair and chinese with naturally curly hair. all are a natural but rare.
ARGHH
happycamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happycamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 10:23am
thanks for the replies.  i've always found unusual genetic variations to be really interesting.
noodlesnspam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodlesnspam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 11:53am

I am 100% chinese, and heres a picture of my wavy hair, im 22 now, but when i was younger, my hair was curly to the point that if you cut a strand off, it curls up in a circle. And yes, my hairtype is rare in asia for someone who is not mixed. Of course i looked mixed though, several of my exgfs say i look hispanic or at the least mixed with something non-asian. I think it gives me some advantages in the attracting ladies department =p.

claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2005 at 2:08am
the curly bloodline
ARGHH
The Asian Invasion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Asian Invasion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 6:03pm

Yes, it's rare, but my family has a curly hair gene in their genetics. I ended up with stick straight hair, but one of my brothers has extremely wavy/kinky hair. It happens, but it's rare.. Like red heads or something! ...wait.. that doesn't work..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 11:57pm
Actually, my family has a FIRE-red hair anomaly gene. My uncle had red hair, until it darkened a bit. I get a lot of reds. In fact, I go red instead of grey. Someday I will have a full head of reddish hair instead of grey hair.
my LJ, 40 inches long
akiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 11:00pm
Hey Anais,

Since you mentioned this, and I love your website, I thought I'd ask...

I'm bangladeshi/indian and while my hair was originally pretty stick straight, it's been getting increasingly wavy over time. The problem is that it's like i have two entirely different types of hair. Like, I have strands that are very fine and straight and others that are coarser, thicker, and definitely kinky. My mother has coarse, curly hair and my dad has straight, fine hair so it's like this strange literal meld of both of their hairtypes. My hair overall isn't thick (when I put it in a ponytail or try to braid it, it's pretty thin)

I'm just wondering if you (or anyone else out there) has heard of this before and has any advice on care because air-drying is sort of a disaster: the coarse hair goes frizzy and the fine hair falls flat with the anti-frizz serum.

I will say that the top layer of hair seem to be coarser so I might be doing something to aggravate things. I generally only wash my hair once a week, so I only blowdry it once a week and I don't put anything save root lifter in my hair.

Anyway, I'm trying my first CO wash tonight (did my first ACV rinse a few weeks ago thanks to this board and your site) so I'm hoping this'll get better.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 11:26pm

Oh golly, I don't think anyone knows your hair better than YOU. Maybe you can divide your hair into top layer - underlayer, then treat them differently? It's probably too much trouble for what it's worth.

Maybe you can sock curl or wet comb. Wet combing instructions are a 2-day process... the positive results don't show until the next day. Sock curling instructions are in my journal in the Hair Journal sub-forum. Both methods prevent frizzing for me, but then again, I don't have your hair type. You might have to try several methods to see which one is least frizzying. Or when conditioning, or applying serum, apply only to the top layer.

Thank you for your compliment on my site  It feels really good to hear from people who find it useful. Take care.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
hnbui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hnbui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 12:53am

Well i'm an asian male, east asian, and i have curly wavy dark brown hair. When i was younger my hair was really light in color, like a tan dirty blond color. I guess it just depends on your genetics. Maybe it's a mutation in my hair genes or maybe i have some mixed blood.

I have alot of hair too. It's been my experience that most asians have coarse hair but not as dense as say white people. My hair is thin, as in the width of the strand, but i still have alot.

It gets annoying sometimes because it's a hassle to take care off, especially when you wake up in the morning and you have an afro :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic