Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

baking soda to remove color??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
abeka24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abeka24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: baking soda to remove color??
    Posted: April 15 2005 at 9:24am
I heard that you can put baking soda on your hair to remove hair color.  Is this true and how bad is it for your hair if so?  Has anyone tried this or heard of it?
swede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2005 at 11:40am

I guess that it'll become like a very mild bleach, and therefore not do much either.

Try colorfix or something, that you know will work.

linusrox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linusrox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2005 at 10:50pm
Besides being abrasive, it's mainly sodium, which would more likely
fix the color - no? Just a non-educated guess.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win - Gandhi
erin1026 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erin1026 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2005 at 1:35pm
I tried the baking soda thing this morning and it lightened my hair almost one shade
linusrox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linusrox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2005 at 4:47pm
Wow! And it feels okay? Did it have any color in it?
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win - Gandhi
abeka24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abeka24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 5:35pm
What was your hair color before you put the baking soda in?  And was it virgin hair or did you already have color in it?  Did you just mix the baking soda with water or put it straight on the hair?  I caved (into my not wanting to put bleach in my hair) and put highlights in this weekend, but I still want my hair lighter.  My natural color is light-med blonde and I dyed it dark brown about 7 months ago with semi-perm dye and have been trying various things to lighten it back to blonde.  Now my overall color looks dark blonde/light brown but my hair is really about 6 different colors and I think its disgusting.  I wish my hair was blonde again, but I really don't think bleaching my whole head would get it back to my natural color.  Plus I am sick of spending money on hair color. 
erin1026 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erin1026 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 6:54pm
I had just dyed my hair a really light blonde but it turned this really ugly reddish blonde color... so I tried the baking soda thing and it took some of the color out and it wasn't nearly as bright...I mixed the baking soda with shampoo, put in in my hair and let it stay there for 10 minutes..then I rinsed it out..here's a thing I found on another site..

"Another thing I've heard is using baking soda, mixing it with shampoo, making a paste, and shampooing with that. It strips all the impurities, like hairspray residue and stuff, and I've heard it can pull the color out, too."

I've read on a lot of sites from different people that baking soda is used to clarify your hair and many of them have said that it can remove color.
abeka24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abeka24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 8:12pm
Thanks, I am definitely going to try it.  Do you remember the website by chance?
Cat22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 8:56pm

Would this help my hair. I had it dyed too light (light blonde) and then they toned it.. it turned this orangish blonde strawberry color.. its too warm. I had light blonde highlights put in it to break uo the color. Would the baking soda effect my hight lights..  would my strawberry color become less red? I am trying to figure out what my color will turn to as it fades..  its a semi perm dye.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic