Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

4a relaxed--how long before you relax?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 12:44am
I think it's easier to stretch when your hair is longer because your hair can fit so much easier in protective styles like buns. My hair is about an 1.5 inch past my shoulders and for some reason I cannot bun my hair!!
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 1:31am
Honeydoo have you tried a donut bun?  If your hair is at least shoulderlength, you should be able to pull it off.  =)
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 8:56am

Honeydoo, when I first started growing mine out, it was above shoulder length, you have to remember I started with a angled bob. When means, it was longer in the front than back, and even in the front, it was not that long.   When I could not a do a real bun, I pulled my hair together towards the back, or on the top of my head (at one point thats the only place  I could get it) and used a bandanna to wrap the bun. It made my bun look alot bigger and I made sure to moisturize it everyday before I wrapped the bandana around it. The hair that couldn't get in, I had hair clips to hold them to make them. Also, I tried using hair multiple hair scruntches, like 2 or 3 and that held my hair as  bun.  *Edited to add...you may be trying to do a low bun, at the length you have, try to experiment with different positions and heights on your bun. It does not have to be the best bun. I know, you said there are alot of things you do not like to do to your hair also, but sometimes we have to make the sacrifices. Also, the thing you want the most, is no contact with your collar...I had to pull my twists up cause they were getting stuck on my coat zipper, not fun at all. So even if you can't do a bun, which I am sure u can just pin up the hair, as in a french roll or with a  hairclamp.

It's rough Honeydoo, but you can do it!

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

mysweetevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysweetevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 9:10am
I also use braid hair to make my bun larger.
sweet like honey!
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 11:08am
My hair is long enough to put in a bun but I'm just not good at doing it.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 11:15am
I know my hair is long enough, but I'm a horrible bun maker. It's weird because just yesterday I was thinking I need to go to the fabric store and get some silk and satin remnents(i think that is how you spell it.) to make 'bun' covers out of and I can do the baggie style at the same time underneath. Thanks for the tips and the encouragement. I love you guys! *sniff*
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 3:38pm

I relax every 10 weeks.  I can't go any longer becuase the -regrowth is THICK!!

The longest I've gone without a relaxer is 6 months!! I just wigged it and allowed my hair to stay mouisturized.  I got A LOT of regrowth under that hot thing!!

100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 7:45pm
the longest ive gone without retouching was 16 weeks but i wont go longer than 12 weeks now. Im 8 weeks post and my hair continually poofy. I usually do a bantu knot set after 8 weeks but now, im just too lazy to do it even if it takes like 10 minutes. Im thinking of using a flat iron but im too scared. That thing destroyed my hair. I dont have any special product that helps my hair behave...well except stasoffro which keeps my newgrowth moisturised. because a lot of you have been raving about shea butter, i ordered some and will be getting it next week. maybe that'll work......
Donda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 4:14pm

The longest I've gone is 12 weeks. In the summer I can't go any more then 8-9 weeks I gain almost 3/4 of an inch in those months.  In the winter I can go about 10wks because I slow down to almost 1/4 inch.

Part of the problem for me not being able to stretch longer is that I like to wear my hair down somewhat.  I would say 4 days up and 3 days down or vice verse.  Anyway vanity is my downfall
Thick 4A Hair, Relaxed every 8 weeks. Contributing writer at xicamagazine.4t.com
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2005 at 9:19pm

Originally posted by cebnn cebnn wrote:

This is the first time I have streched consciously. I never really payed attention, sometimes I would wait untill my hair was just constantly poofy, and would count and be at 8 weeks. So far I'm at 6 weeks post, and I'm trying to go to 10 if not 12.  I've been co washing daily, or sometimes just leaving conditioner in all day and all night,( i get lazy some days) But my hair has showed alot of improvment.

Well I made it 11 weeks and I just could not take it any more. On tuesday I washed my hair and let it air dry, and even though I put sheabutter on my newgrowth while wet..and tied it down with a scarf to dry. I was walking around with a little afro for a few days.

I realized it was time to relax, when a package came for me, and the UPS guy pulled back a little bit when I answered the door. . but I had alot of growth, and was pleased with the results when I relaxed.

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
curtainbluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curtainbluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 5:51pm

my longest is 12 weeks with the help of s-curl. It really keeps the hair soft

QueenLinda83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenLinda83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2005 at 10:18am
I'm currently at 12 weeks and I plan on relaxing this weekend!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic