Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Going blonde

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
norskygrl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going blonde
    Posted: April 25 2005 at 8:34am
While I understand a person's desire to color their own hair (more cost efficient,  people are gentler on their own hair than a stylist would be, etc.) I think anytime a person is dealing with a botched color,especially those involving bleach they need to seek professional help. Once bleach is applied to dark or colored hair to strip color, especially artificially darkened hair, it can be etremely fragile not to mention unpredictable. I am guessing your hair must be relatively healthy and strong considering it is so long, so do yourself a favor and go to a professional to at least get you started in the right direction if you want to continue to go blonde. Then from that point on, it should be fairly easy for you to color your regrowth yourself. I have been in similiar situations as you, I have tried almost every color in the book before going back to a light blonde color so I know the issues you are facing. Unfortunately, my hair is not as strong since it is naturally fine and I have had to deal with breakage in the past after having bleach applied over already bleached areas. If you love your hair and want a "natural" color, not a orangey or brassy blonde, I implore you to consider going to a colorist to at least even out the color. Once you do this you can purchase the necessary products to touch up your roots at home.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 7:11am
As I've said before I'm not a pro so anything I tell you comes from my own experience on my own head.  That said, I'd get it a uniform color before dying it.  If you go blond some of the reddish tones may still show through afterwards and its best to start uniform.  I hope you aren't using hydrogen peroxide from the drug isle in the store, but instead a product made for hair (is much less drying).  Frankly, I'd Colorfix (or whatever color remover you used before) the more reddish parts of your hair again until it's all yellow instead of winging it with peroxide (because you may be using it more concentrated than you really need, so you may be drying your hair out more than is necessary). 

Once you've got it all yellow, put a blonde shade on it with a violet base.  You can find colors with bases written on them at Sally or other beauty supply.  Strand test.  Good luck.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
whybird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whybird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 6:25am
I have colored my hair for years, won't give you the whole story, but I recently went red.   Time to do a touch up, decide I want to start from scratch so to speak to go out and buy some color remover. 

Worked great, except for the very edges where it dried out a bit, it's lighter, but not as light as the rest of my hair.

So I decide to try peroxide to the darker areas. It lightened it up.   Now I've started to notice, probably occured when I first started this whole process that the very top of my head is really light, then it goes darker, almost a red tint to it, then gets light at the end.

probably from how I twisted it up to keep it out of the way, I have mid-back length hair.   And I did use 2 boxes.

So my question is, can I continue to use peroxide on the rest of my hair to get it all one shade?  Or should I go out and by more color remover?   Or just go out and buy the shade I want in blonde which should cover any nonuniform blond coloring?

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic