Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! removing that smell after colouring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ltp27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltp27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! removing that smell after colouring
    Posted: April 24 2005 at 11:55am
Help, whenever I color my hair at home it leaves this really chemically smell after and it stays for days.  Does anyone have any suggestions for removing it.  The only thing I've tried is tomatoe juice (which doesn't work) and shampooing 6 times a day (which is counter productive).  Please help the smell is really unbearable.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 7:14am

It stays even after you've washed?  That's odd, because in my experience, the smell is usually gone pretty quickly if you rinse well enough.  Maybe your nose is sensitive, and you just smell it better than others?  Have you asked other people whether they smell it, too?

More awesome than a manatee!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 11:57am
When I used to dye mine I hated that too.  I would wash it twice after coloring and that helped a little, but it would still bug me the next day until I washed it again, then that last time seemed to get rid of it.  Maybe because I used permanent color?  I don't know.  I never found a way to get rid of it other than more washing though.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
KatGrrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatGrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 4:32pm
OK, this sounds totally weird but just go with it. There are a couple of products out there made for pulling scent out of hair-- one is a John Sebastian (I think that's the name of it) one that has a peach-like scent-- it's called Dry Clean Only. I use it after clubbing, when my hair stinks like cigarettes, and after I dye my hair. It works. The only drawback is that it makes my hair texture feel a little sticky, so I usually spray it on the day after dying, then put my hair up. Before bed, I give it another spray and in the morning, wash once, and voila! no more smell.

There are a couple of other products that do the same-- I think Aveda has one that's probably better on your hair but I don't know the name of it. Or there's the old Febreeze trick-- seriously, spray with a little diluted, unscented Febreeze. It sounds weird but it works.

I dye my blonde hair red (or I did, at least, and now I'm trying to reverse that, but that's a whole other story) and I wash it as little as I can get away with, because the red fades so fast. And when it grows out, the blonde roots make it look like I'm dying or something. It's scary :-) So the bad smell doesn't work, but neither does the idea of six shampoos, which, as you pointed out, is totally counter-productive. Anyway. :-) Hope that helps.
Peace out
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic