Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Synth hair hurts cats!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synth hair hurts cats!
    Posted: April 25 2005 at 3:37pm
I read a comment left by someone about how their cat eats synth hair. I figured I'd share this story with you, so you know not to let your animals eat hair!

http://www.livejournal.com/users/pink_envy/113511.html

Summary: two roomates, a seamstress and a fake-hair maker (my friend Pinky), have a cat. Cat eats a big wad of thread and one synthetic hair. Cat gets mightily sick, as neither thread nor hair are disgestible, has to have stomach surgery to remove thread and intestinal surgery to remove the hair, which (since it's stronger than intestinal lining) has accordioned his intestines and cut them up. Kitty nearly dies and accrues $1,000 in medical bills.

So! If you work with synth in your house, even just doing your own hair, and you have cats, don't let them in the room while you're working and be sure to sweep up afterwards. And keep the hair  bundled up and away from them while it's in storage so they can't chew on it when you're not looking.

-Rae
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 4:17pm
Thanks for letting us know Zapevaj.  Its a good point as cats are sure to be drawn to it
AmethystKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmethystKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 5:01pm
fyi cat's are prone to swallowing anything linear. thread, etc. usually it gets stuck under their tongue, while the rest is swallowed. it's not a fun surgery to pay for either lol.

(i'm a vet tech)
mtolady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtolady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 5:01pm
my kitties in high school used to like to rummage our bathroom garbage - two of them had some fondness for dental floss.  So at one point in time, we noticed the garbage tipped...and we assumed it was a certain kitty.  mom called the vet - vet said give the kitty vegetable oil or mineral oil...so we were oiling the kitty for three days.....

low n behold...it was the other kitty who finally passed the floss in her bowels.

the vet still laughs that we 'oiled the wrong kitty'.....YIKES!!!

yes, cats will find stuff like that....i'm sure doggies would love it too. so please be careful even w/ the human hair stuff....oh and if you have babies crawling around on your floors...and you have extensions and are prone to shedding....check their baby toes as you can cause restricted bloodflow if they should get that stuff wrapped around their tooties.
has someone been swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool again?
hairraisin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairraisin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 5:14pm
dogs LOVE gorilla glue. When swallowed, the dogs stomach will expand and the rest is not pretty. I had a dog jump onto a counter and chew the tube of gorilla glue that someone had left out. Not good.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 5:31pm
This is a really good point, Rae. I don't have any pets, but I really want a puppy, and I always seem to be getting loose hair all over the place. It's a great reminder for everyone. Thanks! :)
RoseRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoseRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 6:08pm
I remember donating to the kitty surgery cause, back when.

I got to pet her when I got my dreads in, very very sweet cat with big scars. Poor thing!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic