Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Style wavy indian hair to curls?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Auddity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auddity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Style wavy indian hair to curls?
    Posted: May 09 2005 at 5:25pm
My best friend is Indian and has long(mid-back), fine/thin hair. It has a natural wave to it but she normally either straightens it or just ties it back. Since straightening it takes so long, she's interested in wearing it wavy/curly, but since I have thick straight hair I don't have much experience in styling hair like hers.

Her hair is so long (her mother won't let her cut it!) that it's mostly loose big curls at the ends, waves in the middle, and straight at her scalp. We tried to get a more uniform texture - a few friends have told us to put product in it and "scrunch" it - unfortunately, when we made an attempt, the only available product was hairspray. (She's not the product junkie here, you see.) It did work somewhat, so we know her hair CAN create more wave, but she wants to find a good product that will keep wave/curl in her hair for a longer time, without totally greasing it up. Something that prevents frizz without excess oil would be great, too!

A few suggestions I've gotten are Aussie Sprunch Spray, or FX Curls Up, or FX Curl Amplifier..... does anyone have opinions/ideas on what she should try? (She wants something inexpensive from a drugstore) Also, if you know of any other ways to get more texture out of this kind of hair, I'd love to hear them!
chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 9:17pm

My personal fav. gel is tresemme mega sculpting gel.  It has no alchohol and is not bad for a drug store gel.  After I get done washing my hair, I scrunch it dry with a towel, put some bed head after party in it (that's just optional because my hair gets really frizzy), then I scrunch in some gel and wait about 10 min.  After that, I scrunch it on low with a cool setting and when it's just about dry, I spray in some aussie sprunch spray.  I then turn the blow dryer back on cool and finesh drying.  This may not sound easy, but she should try experimenting.  I would suggest staying away from anything w/ alchohol.  It really dries out the hair and makes it frizzier.

PS  I only scrunch my hair once in a while, now.  The blow drying (even on cool) dries it out and I'm trying to grow it out.

-Char

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic