Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with my weird hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wendyladi98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyladi98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with my weird hair
    Posted: May 19 2005 at 11:40pm
hi, I have the oddest hair and it doesn't seem to fit any category... It just touches my shoulders when blow dried straight and I have some bangs. I was told by my hairdresser that it is fine and really healthy, but I have a lot of strands so it doesn't look fine. I don't really have any complaints about volume. It is ok in that department. If I do nothing to it it is naturally wavy and curls easy. My problem is it seems to always have split ends. I have tried cutting it every 10 weeks and after a hair cut I will still see a few split ends. Last hair cut I cut an inch and still had a few stray split ends. These tend to be on shorter hairs that aren't in the cutting area. I really would like to grow my hair out but I seem to be fighting split ends so much, that each haircut eliminates any new length. The only thing I do regularly is I use a hotbrush to straighten and flip. I really don't blow dry much at all, I am very gentle with it and condition regularly. What is going on? Am I doomed to medium length hair? I am not after marathon longhair...just would like to get it to my bra strap before I go gray!
"In the darkness, see the light. Remember God loves you"
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2005 at 10:57am

You probably need a light trim more often than every 10 weeks.  I never, ever go more than six weeks without at least getting the tip ends cut off.  I know that sounds like a lot and you think it will slow down your grow out process but it won't.  Actually you may have trouble getting your hair to grow out if your ends are always breaking off.  Getting the ends cut off more frequently will keep your hair in better shape and I'll bet it will look like it is actually growning faster.  It will also look a lot better.  I once grew my hair below my shoulders (not good on me but that is another story) and I went to my hairdresser once a month and got about 1/8 of an inch cut off each time.  He didn't even charge me for that.  When my hair got long it was in great shape. 

Fine hair is very fragile and almost anything will cause it to break.  Do you color your hair?  That can also make it dry.  Also, the hotbrush you mentioned could be your problem.  Use one of those spray on conditioner products that protects your hair from heat.  There are some out there for fine hair (I have used one by L'Oreal).

Edited by demodoll
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic