Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Changes in hair texture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DEBS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEBS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes in hair texture
    Posted: May 27 2005 at 7:26pm
Over the last several years my hair has been changing from stick-straight (medium thick) to a coarse feeling texture that proved a few years ago to be highly perm resistant. Is this age/hormone related and should I expect this to be a constant state from now on? Is it nutrition related? My stylist claims she only saw this once in a pregant woman. I am menopausal, but have been taking HRT for about 2 years. I sometimes feel like I am the only person with this problem and should just be thankful that it is not thinning, but the rough feel bothers me. More kinky than curly.
DEBS
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2005 at 7:05am
Is your new hair gray?  Or the same color as your old hair?  Does it happen to your relatives?  This happens in my family only on my father's side, my brother has gotten it as he went gray, and I suspect I will too.  Our hair is straight our whole lives, then as it turns gray it starts coming out in kinky zigzags that stick up everywhere!  I think I'm going to get it because the top of my head has a lot of zig zags that weren't there when I was younger (they are darker than my natural color and the zig zag ones are actually thicker hairs). 

So, for me it will be genes.  I am unfamiliar with HRT so I don't know if that would do it, best to ask your doc that one. 
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DEBS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEBS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2005 at 7:39pm
This "phenomenon" began years before the HRT so I know that's not the cause, but yes it is much like you have described. Dark and coarse and kinky and originally on the exact back of my head. It is now in more spots, but I was hoping it wouldn't spread to all of my hair. I do have some gray in places, but I expect that to coarse and unruly. This other hair is a shocker to me and I can't be sure, but maybe it does originate on my Mom's side of the family. I know her hair became thicker and harder to perm as the years passed. Thanks for letting me know that I am not totally alone in this. It is a comfort, believe it or not.
DEBS
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2005 at 7:24am
Actually, you are the first person I met on a forum to have this problem outside of my family too!  (Possibly it's not really so rare, but many people on forums are very young and just wouldn't have encountered this possibility yet).  It IS comforting to finally meet someone else! So far mine are on the top of my head, and about 3 inches down the back, (I'm 30) but they're sparse enough right now that I've actually been pulling out the kinkiest of them and leaving the coarse straighter ones since they blend better with my straight hair.  I know I will have to stop doing that and learn to accept them when they become too many though.  

It is a little disappointing for me because I am a lover of long hair and am in the process of growing mine as long as I can stand it....so at some point in the future after I've finally gotten it long I'm likely to have a very big head of hair.  (My brother's hair went zigzag as it grayed when he was around 45, and since he keeps his short he has a shorter version of Einstein hair now so it's apparently going to stick straight up no matter what we do).  But I will just wait and see how it goes.

p.s. - You know, even though this is definitely genetic in my family, it wouldn't hurt to go to the doc to have a test and make sure you aren't missing anything nutritionally.  Since your hair isn't thinning its probably not thyroid or anything (though I'm not a doc of course so I wouldn't really know)....As long as you take a multivitamin a day you should be okay there though (providing the HRT doesn't effect the way your body absorbs vitamins...it might be worth asking your doc about just in case).

Edited by Susan W
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
zephyr View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zephyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 9:21am

hi,

I've never heart of HRT doing this, my mum is on HRT and her hair is very thin...

http://www.nailsnsuch
DEBS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEBS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2005 at 10:03pm
No, I don't believe the HRT has any bearing on the changes in my hair, since the changing hair actually began several years ago. It first became apparent in a small spot at the back of my head when I had a perm and that section didn't really "take" the way it should. The HRT came much later and if anything I had hoped that replacing some of the lost hormones might help to ease the condition somewhat. No such luck. I really don't know of any treatment that applies to my situation and I don't think that it is a very common problem either. Gray hair yes, thinning hair maybe, but stiff and frizzy after soft and straight-no. Not very usual. Thank you for your reply.
DEBS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic