Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red Dye Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ltp27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltp27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Dye Help
    Posted: June 01 2005 at 6:41pm
Ok so a few weeks back i dyed my hair red in the salon.  Now, I have roots and I have no money to go to the salon even for a root touch up.  So, that leaves me with doing it my self I want to stay a red head but I want to tweek the colour ever so slightly.  Right now it's a darker purply red, and I want to go like Julianna Moore in the Forgotton or like debra messing (will and grace).  If anyone has any suggestions for a good at home hair colour both shade and brand that could help me do this I would appreciate it.  i don't know if it makes a difference but i have really curly dry hair.  PLEASE HELP!!!
ltp27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltp27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2005 at 7:29pm
I just have one more question to add to my post.  Last time I tried to dye my hair red myself and it sent me to the salon (ie. my hair emergency room) with bright orange on the top from my roots till about three inches down and the bottom was a darker auburn red.  In other words a huge ugly difference.  So I want to make sure that something like that wont happen again cause I have no money to fix it.  I have red hair dye in my hair right now but my roots are a mousey dark blonde (about an inch to an inch and a half in length).
swede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2005 at 2:22pm

You're lucky, cause since you're a dark natural blonde you won't have to prelighten your hair to get it looking intense red.

For coloring you hair yourself I'd suggest using color by robert craig

http://www.merchantamerica.com/robertcraig/index.php?ba=view _category&category=2331

There are several shades to choose from, and since you have pretty light hair you should pick a dark red shade.

The good thing about color by robert craig is that it contains no ammonia or peroxide, which means that it barely causes any damage at all to your hair. Red haircolor fades super fast also, therefore using a normal permanent dye is not good, since it's very damaging to pull the haircolor thru the ends and midshafts every time. But with color by robert craig, you can refresh your haircolor as often as you need.

To avoid fading, a suggest getting special shampoo for red hair, and products made for colored hair.

Wild-Kitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild-Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2005 at 5:12pm

well i wouldnt advice u to go for a complete colour as u say ur hair is very dry now so u better invest in some conditionner something with shea butter maybe and just go for the touch up for now and continue to deep condition ur hair till it's healthy enough

but as i know that u wont listen to this advice  j/k

anyhow if u seek that lighter shade of red u should use copper from wella viva colour, i use their deep red and it's gr8 they last longer than other

and i advice u if u want the colour not so vibrant that u mix the colour with about an inch of dark brown and it would tone it down ..

and deep condition afterwards and get some red dye shampoo to keep the colour

but my ultimate advice wait till u get the money to go to a pro

good luck and keep us updated

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic