Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

**Silkener**

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cutiepi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutiepi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: **Silkener**
    Posted: June 14 2005 at 11:29pm
Hey ladies.  Have any of you ever hear of a Silkener at Curves Salon (a salon specifically for curly/nappy hair)?  I read somewhere else is that all it is is a relaxer not left on for a long time.  I'm newly napptural, but don't live anywhere near New York to go to the salon. But I like the results on the site. Does anybody know how to do the technique, to turn "naps-to-curls"?  Here's a link to see pics of what I'm talking about:

http://www.curve-salon.com/transitions.htm

Please, anybody answer me back to let me know how to do the technique on my own, or if you've personally gotten a Silkener.

......so seductive......
Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 2:51am
I'm not natural, nor have I ever had a silkener but I also head that it is indeed just light texturizing chemical/ weak relaxer.
afrolatina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrolatina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 9:52am
Thank you for the link.  I had never before heard of this process or salon.  They seem to be very good at what they do. The before and afters are amazing and very encouraging.  It is good to see that there are even more options out there for all hair types.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 1:53pm
A silkner is just a texturizer and then globs of products to give it the wet look afterwards.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrolatina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 3:47pm

Yes, I agree with cmesweet that a "silkener" is their version of a texturizer (or you could even say it is a relaxer since it relaxes the curl).  I am all for people using whatever products they feel are necessary, natural or otherwise, to achieve their hair goals.  From the photos, it appears that they know how to achieve beautiful curls for those who desire that look.  I was also impressed with their haircuts and color which were beautiful & flattering.  When going from curly to straight, a good cut will make all the difference in the world.   

BrownEyez2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 7:35pm
I've seen a lot of talk about this on another forum as well. You may want to check out longhaircareforum.com. There should be some more informative info there also.  Good luck!
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
cutiepi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutiepi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2005 at 5:45pm
Thanks you guys!!!
......so seductive......
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 8:19am
I have never heard of this method but I agree, it's just a texturizer which is a relaxer not left on as long so it's still chemically treated hair and not natural like they say.  Thanks for the link.  The before and after pics were really good too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrolatina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 9:46am

The website says "Silkener - Chemical Service" a mild lye based chemical process.  That is definitely a type of relaxer.  I love the results and would probably try if I were patient enough to allow for 4" of new growth. 

Have you considered any other techniques such as Shingling?  It looks like this is a popular choice for their clients who want to relax their curls naturally.  Did you see the step by step process and before and after photos?  It seems natural (I don't know the ingredients in the curly pudding or curly buttercreme) as well as labor intensive and time consuming.  With the right products (and not necessarily theirs), this could be effective for some. 

They list other methods of styling / changing one's curly pattern (most or all of which have been mentioned on these boards before): fingerstyling, spiral set, double strand twist set, roller set, coiling, bantu knot set, perm rod sets, straw sets, twist outs and braid outs.

cutiepi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutiepi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 3:40pm
Thanks afrolatina!  Shingling just looks tooooo time consuming.  I have extremely thick hair and its already hard to manage.  I just have to learn to be more patient.  I probably will try shingling my hair because i don't want to go back to chems.
......so seductive......
Miss Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 7:58pm

Cutiepi, a few years ago, when Curve was just starting to 'establish its name' on haircare boards, there was a lot of talk on naturallycurly.com about their techniques and products. From what I read at that time, I know that they use Affirm Fiberguard relaxer in Mild to do the silkener. They don't leave it on for very long, and they also ensure not to comb/smooth the hair too much while the product is on it - this is in order not to take out too much of the natural texture. I personally think that they just have really good technique which most of us could duplicate on our own heads (whether it be texturizing or just simply styling) with enough practice. Plus, we would save all that money . Good luck.

Edited by Miss Brown
Natural
-Toothpick-width springs, slightly bigger springs & some frizzy tight waves
-Length: 4" past shoulders, 8.5-10.5" total
-Post on: NP, BHT, HB, OHJ & NC. But I'm not the Miss Brown on LHCF!
cutiepi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutiepi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 5:52pm
Thanks for the info Miss Brown!!  How long have you been napptural???
......so seductive......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 11:11am

What is "shingling"?  Just curious.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrolatina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 1:38pm

Hi Pokahontas. 

Check out http://www.curve-salon.com/shingling101.htm.  It shows the entire Shingling Process.  After washing and conditioning, they apply Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding while the hair is wet and in sections, then dry under a hair dryer.  Then they apply more heat at the roots to stretch the hair a bit more.  Looks interesting, very labor intensive and they use a lot of product (I have no idea what the ingredients are in the curly pudding).  I like the results though.  Bet this could be duplicated at home using other products.

They show others before and after who have had Shingling done in other sections of the website. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by afrolatina afrolatina wrote:

Hi Pokahontas. 

Check out http://www.curve-salon.com/shingling101.htm.  It shows the entire Shingling Process.  After washing and conditioning, they apply Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding while the hair is wet and in sections, then dry under a hair dryer.  Then they apply more heat at the roots to stretch the hair a bit more.  Looks interesting, very labor intensive and they use a lot of product (I have no idea what the ingredients are in the curly pudding).  I like the results though.  Bet this could be duplicated at home using other products.

They show others before and after who have had Shingling done in other sections of the website. 

Hey afrolatina, thanks for the info and the website.  I'm getting ready to check it out now.  It does sound interesting and I'm with you,  I bet it could be duplicated at home.

Miss Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 7:41pm

Originally posted by cutiepi cutiepi wrote:

Thanks for the info Miss Brown!!  How long have you been napptural???

You're welcome . My last relaxer was almost 5 years ago although I grew my relaxer out slowly and trimmed it off as my natural hair grew in.

Also, if you're looking for a more "defined" look that will show more length without a texturizer, you could also try doing a twist-out. The twists don't even have to be neatly done to get a good twist-out. To get  defined, tight waves, I would recommend doing 50 - 60 twists and then the *key* to getting the most visible length is to band the finished twists (banding explained: http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15553& amp; amp;hl=banding ) and keep them in the elastics for a few hours. This works really well for me. I just have to make sure I don't do the twists too big because when I do they just stretch the hair into unnatural looking HUGE bumpy-waves (which is what I have in my head right now ).

Edited by Miss Brown
Natural
-Toothpick-width springs, slightly bigger springs & some frizzy tight waves
-Length: 4" past shoulders, 8.5-10.5" total
-Post on: NP, BHT, HB, OHJ & NC. But I'm not the Miss Brown on LHCF!
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 6:11pm

Great thread cutipi. I was just on their site a couple of days ago and I saw the "silkner" and wondered the same thing. 

I did the BC and I don't want to go back to the chemicals.  It is a chemical right?  I saw that this one client used it for 5-9 minutes on her hair.

100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
xreds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xreds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 8:48am

Well, I had to bring up this old thread. I am considering getting the silkener at the renamed Miss Jessie's Salon. Has anyone on the boards had this done? I like the fact that you can go from curly to straight and back again with no problems. And they seem to be reputable and professional so I would trust them before I let a hairdresser around the way texturize me. I hear such terrific things from my friends about thier products.

So someone please tell me they have had it done and what the results were.

xreds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xreds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 12:04pm
BUMP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic