Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Coloring Experiments w/Virgin Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Coloring Experiments w/Virgin Hair
    Posted: June 19 2005 at 1:11pm

OK, I spent most of the weekend on this, which has that RK hair looking better & better every day !!  But I wanted to show you the color results I got. I was *not* able to achieve a 613; I fried a batch of hair and so got VERY gun shy after that. However, I have a gorgeous 24, 22, and a 14/22 mix.  The color differences are very subtle and I can't seem to photograph them to show the colors properly. The hair is in *beautiful* shape. Check it out. BTW: this is only 3/4 oz. of hair.

All 3 colors in my hand:

Blowin' in the wind:

The 14/22 mix:

Kewl, eh??

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 1:21pm
I think it looks fantastic Fina....now if youd be willing to share your secrets me with I need help bleaching mine! Light blonde colors about like #22, 24, 27 and 16 shades works for me. I am not quite #613. And dont want to take my natural hair that light anymore, its just too damaging.
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 1:27pm

Great results Fina!  The hair's beautiful.  I need to also say that im so jealous of that lovely big pool behind you and the lovely weather.  Its very miserable here today in the Uk

x

Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 1:28pm
I'm also very jealous, why can't I live somewhere like that x
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 1:31pm
It does look beautiful there doesnt it!
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 6:22pm
That's why they call it Dollars, Texas!
Just kiddin', Fina.
The hair looks even better against the blue pool and your cool fountain thing!

That hair looks fantastic! I can't believe that dark dark hair bleached out to that gorgeous blonde! That's Paris Hilton-quality* long blonde hair, imo. Really excellent job.

*meaning she's a money-is-no-object blonde and this hair looks as good as hers.   That's what I mean.
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 7:44pm

I'm quite pleased with how the color turned out.

Sherrie - it is amazing the HUGE amount of effort it takes to get to a 613 rather than, say, like a 22 or 24. Even the difference between those two is a lot.

I used Clairol "BW2" Dedusted Extra-Strength Powder Lightener with 40-volume CLEAR peroxide. I used pretty much the ratio the package recommends - like 2 scoops bleach powder to 1 scoop peroxide. I added a little extra peroxide to make it wetter.

I spread the hair out on foil and completely covered both sides. The hair needs to be VERY WELL covered, and evenly coated. I wrapped up the foil and let it sit. Period. No heat except the Texas heat. My garage was about 95 degrees so I left it out there for a while, then back in the house, etc. But no ovens, just warm-air temperatures.

I added more wet peroxide after about 40 minutes on all batches, and kept checking to make sure it stayed wet.

First batch I only let process about an hour. It simply didn't come up enough. It was about a Bohyme "24". The second batch I processed an hour and 10 minutes. The third batch I processed 90 minutes.

They were, roughly, golden blonde, very light golden blonde, and yellow blonde--all of them really quite yellow/gold. There was nothing on a color ring that matched.

However it got fun with the toning.

I toned all 3 with Clairol Professional 301D (White Beige) using 20 volume for between 5 and 12 minutes (watching how the color processed and took).

Basically the different results I got were based on how light the pre-lightened hair was to start with.

I had COMPLETELY FRIED my first batch by adding too much heat. The hair turned into cotton candy, literally. It was SCARY. So I got much more conservative with the heat; I know that when I get my own hair done my hairdresser uses 40 vol peroxide with bleach and we just have to WAIT until it comes up. I've read that it can take up to 2 hours. I just didn't want to subject the hair to that.

After 90 minutes on batch #3 I thought it was sufficiently light.

I'm out of bleach now; otherwise I would have forged ahead and done more. However, I have a GREAT match now for PlastikHaar Blonde and *almost* Vanille. My goal for my next install is to do a PH/Human mix with perfectly matching colors. . .and since I'm the scientist here, I can just match to the PH!!

Syren - I'm excited to get the #8 hair. Do you have a PH ring and a suggestion for a PH color that matches the hair you just shipped me??

Thanks!!
Fina

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 8:53pm
It's a mix between hirse and dunkel blond.
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 9:00pm
mmm where are you purchasing your products Fina?

I have heard many girls struggling to go blonde at home use powder bleach, 40 vol developer and "lightening packs"  I want to say 7th stage but I'm thinking I'm crossing names in my head and that's a ordinary powder bleach.

sansconformist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sansconformist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 7:14pm

Okey dokey. Here are the results of what I've been doing with Fina's hair.

The first pic I posted before; it's the virgin hair with my three strand tests using kalideocolors bleach in beige. The second picture is three bundles of hair I've lightened just like in the strand tests and washed (look at the body that came out!) plus gone over with pure henna powder (as opposed to a metallic henna compound which would NOT be a good thing to put on top of bleach). The third is the same but without flash. The hair turned out really pretty and matches my own well. That strand in the top is a bit of PH in bronze I got in a trade and am adding a few strands of in each pretip. I think it'll look really pretty when I'm done.

shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 7:19pm
Fina your hair is so beautiful.  I think it looks alot better quality than the RK hair as from all the pics it certainly looks alot less frizzy when washed.  What do you think?  have you tried the RK hair?
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2005 at 4:53am
How much are you selling your hair for Fina, have you got some left x
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2005 at 10:01am

Hiya gals.

I'm gonna just go ahead and get some more of it... yes it's a bit more expensive than RK but I have to say it is friggin' gorgeous.

I have a bunch of RK #22 or #24 which I bought from Rae and my color is EXACTLY the same. As many of you have said, the real test is how it wears, and unfortunately we just have to wait and see.

I am not at all displeased with RK. Don't get me wrong.

I am going to order a LOT of this hair so I'll be able to sell it a bit cheaper. Right now we're talking about $60 for a 3.5 oz weft. I am going to place the order on Monday and when I get it y'all can just let me know what you want.

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2005 at 11:38am
Hey sans.  Can you tell us the exact henna you used?  Did you get it at a BSS or online?  I'm not well versed in henna but those are some beautiful results.

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2005 at 1:11pm
hey FinaFina, or you gonna get it in any longer lengths next time? Id love to have some more but LONGER!!!
sansconformist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sansconformist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 2:01am
Mocha, I got that henna from a local Indian grocery store near me. I can't remember the name of the brand but I can look into it for you. Check out this website http://www.hennaforhair.com/techniques/index.html for a good overview on using henna. They sell henna there as well which is a very good quality, (I've bought samples from them) but I knew I was going to need a lot for all the hair I had, and was trying to save a bit of money by buying locally. I ending up taking a gamble on the Indian store henna which was 5 bucks for around 250 grams and it gave a great stain. I could always pick some up and post it to you if you like. The thing with henna is it can't lift at all, so it's much gentler on the hair which has already been bleached to heck than a double process. esp. with something like red which tends to fade and would need refreshing from time to time. It's messy though!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic