Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Major Hair Breakage from Straightening!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
friedhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friedhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Major Hair Breakage from Straightening!
    Posted: June 27 2005 at 9:42am

I had my hair straightened on Thursday night by a professional salon, and I have a TON of breakage I have come to realize.  I have naturally curly hair, very thick and corse.  I had highlighted it over 4 months ago, and was going to wait to highlight again 4-6 weeks after my straightening.  I've been having my hair straightened for years, but this is the first time at this salon that I went to.  And first I've experienced this much breakage.

The breakage is right at the scalp, and it starts at my hairline and goes all the way to the back of my head, is mostly on the very top.  It feels like someone actually gave me a buzz cut! I have breakage all over my head, but its just that this is the area where its the worse.  I have some hair still coming out, but I think the worst of it broke off when she actually did it. 

What can I do?  So far, noone has been helpful at the salon, I don't know what to do.  I think I'm going to have to ask for the owner? 

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 9:52am
Definitely speak to the owner. The buzz cut was not part of the bargain.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
friedhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friedhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 10:05am

What do you think happened? was it left in too long? I've read somewhere that petroleum products are often put on the scalp and on the hair line to prevent this...I've never had that done before either.  Do you think the stuff was on my scalp and shouldn't have been?

I've left a message for the manager to return my call, the owner doesn't take calls I guess..whatever.  

I'm lucky my hair is thick enough to cover this area that is thinner...right now it doesn't look bad.  But growing it out over the next 6 months to 1 year is going to be terrible!

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 12:01pm
Was this a permanent straightening or a relaxer?

I've read stories on this board about people who paid close to $1000 and got the results you described. No one was sure why. I suspect that when ironing the hair, they were taking too large chunks. The part in the middle got straightened, but the parts on the edges had a permanent kink put in from the edge of the iron biting at the hair. It's a common problem with the chi system, though I've heard some posters say they've had good results.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
friedhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friedhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 12:22pm
no it was a permanent chemical straightening process.  She used Rusk Anti Curl product.  She did blow dry the hair and curled it with a curling iron afterwards, but that is the product that was used.
Fallyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 1:56pm
Staightening systems are generally quite damaging to the hair, I wish you were asking about this a couple of days before you tried it! I believe that she left it on your hair for to long. You may apply a small ammount of creame around the hairline, but if carefull the hair should not break. But there are some things you can do to try to help your hair now.

1- Start using a really good conditioner, you will need a heavy duty one-mabey Anti-Snap from Redkin or Terax Crema

2-Try not to blowdry or flat-iron your hair very much

3- Get a hold of the salon owner, and ask mabey for a couple of complimentary condidioning treatments from the salon. They should accomidate you!

GOOD LUCK

friedhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friedhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 3:02pm
actually, I finally got a response from the salon, they are dropping off a conditioning treatment tonight at my home, since I won't be home until 10pm from work, and then I'm going to stop in on Weds night and they are going to look at it, and see if they can do a more intense treatment there at the salon.  I'm glad they are doing something to help me.  At least this can hopefully prevent further breakage.
Fallyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 4:04pm
Good! If I did that to someones hair i would feel so bad, I would do anything to correct it! Please make sure you take thoes conditioning treatments, and your hair will feel better. What has broken off is probley the most that will break off, but there is not reason to not keep conditioning!

Im glad they are helping you!
custer568 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote custer568 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 9:23am
I had the rusk anti curl done 4 days ago as a touch up to CHI TR that was done 14 months ago.. I'm freaking out My scalp looks alot thinner and is itchy and ruff .. I feel like its breaking.. the itching is so bad I think I'll take some Benedryl tonight to sleep...anyone know if the chemicals in my old CHI TR are compatible woith the Rusk Anti curl? With the Chi I had a patch of breakage on my crown about a quarter size.. not too hard to dal with but this seems MUCH worse!
TheEvilFlute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheEvilFlute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 12:49pm

Breakage is a common problem with products using ammonium thioglycolate, such as the products you are speaking of. Relaxers are not supposed to be applied directly to the scalp. Many safety warnings even say this, but it is often ignored by consumers as nonsense.

Most of the time, people will use a creme relaxer (i.e. lye or no-lye) and breakage isn't a very big problem for the majority of people (it's a risk a lot of people take, and often they get away with it!). However, ammonium thioglycolate is not a creme relaxer; it is completely different from lye and no-lye relaxers. The risk of breakage is greater. If your hair was relaxed with a lye or no-lye relaxer and you used this, it can cause breakage because the chemicals are incompatible. This only occurs at the overlap though. However, this does not seem the case since it broke so close to the scalp. Ammonium Thioglycolate can cause breakage by itself, or when mixed by an incompatible chemical.

Ammonium Thioglycolate can make your hair stiff once you neutralize it. Because of this, it should not be applied directly to the scalp, and especially not directly to the part line. You or the stylist may be inclined to do this, but don't do it, this never goes well. If it does get on the scalp, it will straighten all the way to the scalp. This sounds like a good idea at first . . . however, because it makes your hair so stiff it will have a tendency to break instead of bend.

This is very very bad. In general however, your hair doesn't bend too much unless you have it in a pony tail (thoroughly educated cosmetologists should understand this and tell you that you should not put your hair in a pony tail for a few days after a chemical relaxation process because it can cause your hair to crimp where you have the hair tie and it also puts too much tension on the still fragile hair and can cause breakage).

The one exception to the fact that hair not in traction does not bend very much in most places is on the part line! Wherever your part line is, the hair is under a lot of stress at the scalp because it has to be bent at such a sharp angle to go in the direction you want it to go.

On the top of your head, the hair may just want to stick straight up. But since people in general don't want this, we part our hair and comb it to the sides. Because the hair is under so much stress very close to the scalp, ammonium thioglycolate should not be applied directly to the scalp and especially NOT on the part line. This will result in the hair simply snapping off at the scalp. This can also occur on your hair line if you tie your hair back or comb your hair straight back before your hair has a chance to recover from the procedure.

The high occurance of hair breakage makes ammonium thioglycolate not particularly suitable for straightening hair, and is not appropriate for home use as a straightening chemical. Usually, the directions will have warnings not to apply the chemical directly to the roots. The client and the stylist should always heed the warnings on all chemical products or they will be in for a very unpleasant surprize.

Many of you may believe my comments are pure speculation. However, please understand that I had a chemical process like this done in a salon and the same thing happened. I am very good with hair, but I was reluctant to do this particular process on myself. I won't trust my anybody to do anything chemical to my hair again. I had been relaxing my hair myself and I thought maybe it wasn't getting very straight because I wasn't doing it right. So after letting my hair recuperate for 6 months or so,  I thought I would let a "professional" handle it and it would turn out better. Wrong! I was quite mistaken. It didn't turn out any straighter and my hair ended up falling out along the part line. Make sure your stylist knows what they are doing! If you are afraid of hair loss, ask them to be sure not to saturate the scalp with chemical and to keep it off of the part line. (This can be easily done with ammonium thioglycolate in a cream-like suspension.)

Don't worry though, your hair will grow back; the "snapping" off which was occuring shouldn't take out the root. It will definitely grow back. Take good care of your hair. Don't brush too much, this can rip out more hair. Everybody's hair grows at approximately the same speed, which however is not very fast. Avoid heat styling for now, that can cause more breakage and make your hair seem to grow even slower. Some chemicals may also shock the hair follicles out of their growing phase, so avoid chemical processes until your hair grows back.

Anyways, once your hair grows back, Happy Styling!

-Kennieth

Edited by TheEvilFlute
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 3:12pm
Which level of Rusk anti-curl was used. If your hair was highlighted level 2 should've been used. However if your hair was more than 40% highlighted then it should not have been done at all. I've used Rusk anti-curl forever and never had a problem. I even went back to it after my horrible experience with Thermal Reconditioning. However the product must be applied correctly and should never touch the scalp. It must be comed with a wide tooth come and it must be a special come (without the sharp ridges in the middle) otherwise it will destroy the scales that are on top of your hair strands. When doing either TR or Rusk anticurl, Redken Vertical, X-tenso etc, there should be no breakage whatsoever. If there is, it is not the product but the stylists. Just because your stylist is a great colorist or can give great hair cuts, does not mean he/she is a chemical expert. You will be surprised at the inadecuate training this people recieve from the companies selling the products. I know first hand because this happened to me. I have a great stylist and assumed because she had a certificate hanging on her wall stating she was trained to do Bioionics TR that she knew what she was doing. Well after 2 months my hair started to break and fall off. It took my hair 2 years to finally recover. I even had a whole chunk of hair that totally fell out, right on my frontal hair line. I wish I had done my homework better before letting somebody do this to me. Although my hair finally recovered I now have less hair than I did before. Thank God I had alot of hair to begin with, because if not I would be bald lol. If you want to get great info about this sort of thing go to Verticalsinhair.com. It has sure helped me. Do lots of protein treatments. Redken deep fuel, Joico Reconstructor or Sebastian 2+1 are exellent. And use a deep conditioner after the protein treatment so your hair won't feel like straw.

Edited by Sharyg11
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic