Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

swimming cap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swimming cap
    Posted: June 28 2005 at 11:39am
Do you wear a swimming cap. I have a couple of stretchy lycra caps I wear when I swim in the pool since the rule is "anyone with shoulder length hair or longer must wear a bathing cap". I don't mind because it keeps my hair out of my face and stops tangles. I usually braid it and put it under the cap.

My question: will wearing a bathing cap keep my scalp from burning in the sun? Or can I put sunscreen on my head?
I was recently at a water park and did not wear a cap. I did once and people were making fun of me. I did not wear a cap and I got sunburned on head. The rest of me feel burned but I did not burn on my skin because I put sunscreen on.
Fallyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 1:36pm
Suers,
For sure apply that sunscreen to your scalp. When I went to Australia a month ago I had to the sun was so intense. I would advise a SPF of like 30+
Always opt for the sunscreen......!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 2:43pm

Ooh, I never heard of stretchy lycra caps. Our local shops only have the stretchy latex ones by Speedo, and they're way too small  Does the lycra have a big "capacity"?

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 7:47am
The latex swim caps really hurt my head because they are too tight. Some of the lycra ones are too small because of my hair and I have a large head. I don't like the caps with all the flowers attached to them. I also saw some that are textured rubber.   They look like something from a 1960's monster horror film.

I made my own swimming cap. Here is a site with a few pattern. http://www.sundroptextiles.com/projects/swim%20cap.htm      I made the center panel longer and gathered the sides at the back so that there is more room for my hairbun. I used some bathing suit fabric and a zigzig sewing machine stitch. You must use special chlorine resistant elastic around the bottom of the cap.

Ideally, I would like a lycra swimming hat with a brim of some sort to shade my eyes. I have seen few true swimming hats.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 8:10pm
Ooh, thanks for the idea and the link, Suers  
my LJ, 40 inches long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic