Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

relaxed to natural

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: relaxed to natural
    Posted: July 21 2005 at 11:28am
Here's her regimen:
http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=332 23&PN=1
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
ceceney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceceney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 6:49am

thank you for the advice. this all helps me so much. oh this may be a really stupid question, but where can i go to see your regimen?

Trust God; He holds the key to your future.
cookiesnkream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookiesnkream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 6:49pm
'

Ceceny, I too have the exact hair in that alicia keys
pic,, though i have been straightening for a few years
now,, I lost a large part of it due to breakage from
bad relaxers and wrong products(it was traumatic for
me),, I have finally found whats good for my hair and
im sticking to it and its truly working ,, im actually
bothered by how thick it is sometimes,, and its
growing and growing,,the hair in the back is the
thickest and curliest l and i still have enoug hair for 3
ppl and everyone would say when i was a lil girl,,
anywway please read my regimen,, it worked for my
3b or 3c hairtype and try to avoid sodium
lauryl/laureth and ammonium lauryl , lauryth sulaftes
in shampoo,(they are very drying) there are very few
with out it,, try neutrogena triple moisture or creme of
nature good luck
Hair type: 3b some c?, fine strands, last relaxer sept 05, never again!!! current :ap length on sides,,nearly bsl in back, damn those old frazzled ends! I am hair OBSESSED   
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 6:49am
Good to see you back.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 4:22pm
Welcome back!
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Jesuschrist#1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesuschrist#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 1:27pm
Welcome back! Glad u made it back safely
1 more day until next touch-up

5 more months until bra-strap length
ceceney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceceney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 9:30am
hello everyone. i got back from camp saturday and i thought i would just let ya'll know that.
ceceney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceceney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 1:00pm
thank you lots guys. i will be gone next week so i wont be able to write back on here.
SilverRaine80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilverRaine80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2005 at 4:20pm
I got my sheabutter online...not sure if we can put business names here so PM me and I will tell you...its good stuff...but if you do a search there are a good number of recommended sites and stores to find various butters...sounds like you are on the right track...lotsa luck cece!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by ceceney ceceney wrote:

okay i found out what my type is and it is 3c. what excatly is a wet set or a straw set? 

Hey CeCeNey,

Here is alink to the sticky on this forum about hair styling techniques  http://www.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29585& amp; amp;PN=1 . It has pictures and links as well.

oil is used to seal in moisture, also to assist with preventing breakage. Shea butter is a moisturizer. Here is a link that explains oils a little more... http://motowngirl.com/oils.htm

Here is a link for a few hair routines  http://www.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32627& amp;PN=1  also on the beginning of the grow out challenge has routines as well. I hope that helps!

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

ceceney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceceney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 3:35pm
oh and i was wondering what are you guy's daily routines and everything.
ceceney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceceney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 2:19pm
ok this may be a stupid question but what is oil and shea butter used for? i know i should moisturize and everything, but i dont get why i should use all the other things.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by ceceney ceceney wrote:

okay i found out what my type is and it is 3c. what excatly is a wet set or a straw set? i got a pic of my hair, but it is longer than that now. the coconut oil made my hair feel really really slick and nasty but i started using it again. i think i was just putting to much on before. ok i dont think i will braid it, i will just let it grow. ok just to make sure i got this right, while my hair is growing i should moisturize or put oil where the new growth and the relaxed hair meet. to tame new growth i should use aloe vera gel, shea butter or oil. moisturizing is the key!!! once all my hair is back to natural i should always use a leave in moisturizer. when it comes to styling it, aloe vera gel, shea butter, jojoba oil and something else to keep it from being frizzy. am i right? thank you so much for helping me with this. i will put pictures on here as i go along so ya'll can see my hair and everything. oh and i forgot one last thing...be patient

cece

Hi ceceney!  You sound like you are doing great with this.  Lol...yes patience is key.

Okay, a wet set is where you use various size hard rollers and roll your hair on them after you shampoo to achieve a curly effect.  The bigger the roller the bigger the curl and vice versa.  Some people sit under a hooded dryer when they do this and some air dry.  A straw set is the same as a wet set only you use actual drinking straws and bobby pin them in place.  After this dries you should have small corkskrews that resemble a curly natural hair texture.  Either one of these would be a great option for you. 

Yes...keep hair moisturized well.  Where relaxed and natural hair meet will be the weakest so pay special attention to it but don't just moisturize that, moisturize all of it.  Experiment with different products and find what works for you.  What works for someone else may not always work for you.

When I was transitioning I used a lot of protein packs from Sally's...all different kinds and I can't remember the names to save my life.  I know one was Ion.  Also cholesterol treatments are good.

You sound like you are picking up on this quickly and I wish you good luck.  Your pics and hair are so cute! Can't wait to see your new pics.

Jesuschrist#1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesuschrist#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 11:55am
I love your hair Ceceney! I'm glad to see that you're taking good care of your hair! I'm young too, about to turn 16, so I guess we're both on the road to healthy tresses! God bless you.
1 more day until next touch-up

5 more months until bra-strap length
ceceney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceceney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 11:41am

okay i found out what my type is and it is 3c. what excatly is a wet set or a straw set? i got a pic of my hair, but it is longer than that now. the coconut oil made my hair feel really really slick and nasty but i started using it again. i think i was just putting to much on before. ok i dont think i will braid it, i will just let it grow. ok just to make sure i got this right, while my hair is growing i should moisturize or put oil where the new growth and the relaxed hair meet. to tame new growth i should use aloe vera gel, shea butter or oil. moisturizing is the key!!! once all my hair is back to natural i should always use a leave in moisturizer. when it comes to styling it, aloe vera gel, shea butter, jojoba oil and something else to keep it from being frizzy. am i right? thank you so much for helping me with this. i will put pictures on here as i go along so ya'll can see my hair and everything. oh and i forgot one last thing...be patient

cece

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 11:06am
Originally posted by SilverRaine80 SilverRaine80 wrote:

Protein, I hear to use it sparingly...monthly perhaps or if ur hair is feeling weak only...always follow with a moisturizing conditioner...I guess moisture is the key! Strengthening=hardening can=breakage.

Wow, how did I forget that.  Yes, you should always follow a protein treatment with a moisturizing conditioner.  Thanks SilverRaine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilverRaine80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 10:50am
Agree with Pokahontas...be patient and find what's best for u...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilverRaine80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 10:47am

Sort of a catch 22 with transitioning because the more relaxed hair you have the more work you have to do to maintain...as far as detangling for example and breakage but also if your hair is strong and long enough, pull it back during bad hair days or curl or braid it to mask the new growth. If its short like a TWA there is not too much you can do but wear it and add cute accessories and tap into ur creative side.

Some people transitioned with weaves and extentions...I guess it is easier...less manipulation but you have to watch out for dryness...if you want to try it, it won't kill you, just get a great moisturizing conditioner and do not leave them in too long...also I would occasionally take time to get accustomed to ur natural hair.

Coconut oil made your hair fell weird how exactly?

Hair typing is not so important but if you have a looser wave/coil/pattern transitioning may go a little smoother for you....maybe...there should be an explanation on hair type somewhere on the board. Also it will be easier to determine how to get that hairstyle you want.

Protein, I hear to use it sparingly...monthly perhaps or if ur hair is feeling weak only...always follow with a moisturizing conditioner...I guess moisture is the key! Strengthening=hardening can=breakage.

To tame your new growth you may want to try the aloe vera gel , hair gel, a light pomade or cream of some sort...if u cut ur hair short (BC) u may need something at first to define ur curls or u can get a straw set... if you do not want to use products do not cut off ur relaxed hair....but make sure to trim regularly, pull your hair back (I would still reccommend some type of leave in or moisturizer, oil or something for where ur relaxed hair and new growth meet esp.) and use nice headbands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 10:31am

Go here and you can find out what hair type you have....http://naturallycurly2.com/curl411/types.php

It is hard to deal with two different hair textures on one head so during this time you need to trim often and make sure to do lots of deep conditioning and protein treatments to keep the hair strong.  The point at where the two hair textures meet is going to be very weak and may break so to deal with this I kept my hair flat ironed most of the time so that way the two textures were the same when I combed it and it didn't break.  It worked well for me but you have to find what works for you.  You may want to try wet sets and braid outs also. 

As far as styling it curly I use Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel and shea butter or olive oil.  Africa's Best liquid hair mayo to detangle(this stuff works great!) And Africa's Best shea butter detangler(equally great!)  I also use a Pantene leave in under the straight and sleek line that works great for frizzies and defining curls.  Hope this helped.  Just be patient and if u have any questions let me know.

ceceney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceceney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 6:51pm
right now my hair is relaxed. how do i find out what type my hair is? i asked my mom and she said my curls are kinda like kinky, like the pic i put on here. ppl say i should get braids or a weave so then i dont have to deal with my hair while it is transitioning. my hair is not dry..well atleast i dont think it is. it use to have breakage but then i got it cut. i really want to make sure my hair is healthy throughout the years. i heard i should get protein cultures ( or whatever it is called) every couple of weeks or so. while it is transitioning i want it to be healthy. right now i have a little bit of new growth, but not a lot. i just dont want my curls to be all crazy and everything like an afro. right now i put leave-in-conditioner in my hair, and i used to put cocunut oil in my hair, but it made my hair feel weird. i have to find some pics. i had a lot loaded on to my other computer, so i will have to get those for ya. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic