Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is this right?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
niftygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niftygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this right?
    Posted: July 10 2005 at 12:31pm

okay, I'm back from vacation and getting ready to start my pretips for my very first shrinkie install on myself.

My plastikhaar should be here any day and I just ordered shrinkies, a threading tool and shrinkie remover from shrinkies.net.

I'm also about to order the Liquid gold from haircandy to make my pretips with.

My question is...I plan on covering my tips with nail glue as suggested here, so do I still need the liquid glue remover? Or hopefully during takedown, none of the liquid gold should transfer to my hair right? I'm thinking I will only need the shrinkie residue remover.

I'm more concerned about take down than I am install as you can see. I do not want any problems or damage. I plan on these extensions being a success so I can keep wearing them over the next year as I grow my hair.

CandiLocks27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CandiLocks27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 12:42pm
woah sweetie. Liquid gold is perfect to use. It isnt nail glue, i think its a keratin fusion/bonding glue.

Yes you do need the liquid gold remover. Ill tell ya why.

It is non damaging if you do it the right way. When I did it, I pretipped and put them in the shrinkies and everything. More of the heat will be transfered to the shrinkie, so the liquid gold wont melt into your hair too much. just enough to keep it in place.

So when you take them out, heat the shrinkie until both the shrinkie and the tip falls out of your hair or can slide out. THEN use the residue remover first. if that doesnt get some of the liquid gold out, then use the liquid gold remover. Chances are, the shrinkie remover stuff wont get it ALL out...

good luck with your hair!

just remember, be very gentle and slow and heat the shrinkie enough just to stay on when installing, and enough just to come out when removing.
Hugs!

Candi Locks!
niftygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niftygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 12:57pm

okay, I'm new at this so I'm probably not explaining myself correctly.

I'm going to first pretip with liquid gold and then cover the liquid gold with nail glue. I thought the nail glue was to prevent liquid gold from transferring to your hair...as well as give it extra hold.

So if I use liquid gold and then nail glue, do you think I still will need LG remover?

I'm trying to avoid any of the LG getting in my hair if possible.

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 1:02pm
the shrinkie residue remover is all you need. You wont need the LG remover. You have the right idea. I always keep some acetone around, I really dont recommend the use of acetone, especially if someone has damaged/brittle/dry hair. But at times I break out the acetone on a stubborn one.
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 1:46pm
The nail glue is optional.  I can't decide whether or not I like it.

I do know I love LG.

And I concur with sherrie that the LG remover won't be needed in your case.  Just the shrinkie remover.
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 8:34pm
I am going to put a bit of LG on my tips from now on . I think this is why Amm has such good luck with them. Mine are fine for a while (2-3 weeks) then start to slide out I find that only the outer hairs of the section are geting adhesive on them so I am hopeing a little more LG might help. My next install I am going to tip with keritin sticks since some have had no problems removing them with Amms remover. If any one can chime in and reasure me on this I would be Thankfull!! My RK will be here soon and my Bohyme FR is trashed from the pool (big mess)!
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 9:49pm

I just took out my extensions and did a new install today. I had shrinkies in with a mixture of tips. LG/nail glue, keratin/nail glue and keratin alone. They all held equally well, but I did have a bit of sheddingm, which from what I can tell came from the pretipped (purchased) keratin tips.

I only lost 5 total, in 8 weeks. 3 of which were in the last week and 1 at the beginning. The only reason I took them out was because of the hair, I wasnt satisfied whith the quality of the last batch I got from my Korean supplier. Otherwise Im certain the shrinkies would have held out a few more weeks.

I will say that the removal was took longer and more work than I expected, but may also be due to the keratin tips leaving more residue in my hair.

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 1:37am
You don't need the nail glue, really. I like nail glue under a microring method because the tips stay intact under the pressure. For shrinkies, I like a good coating of Liquid Gold over the tips and then the shrinkie on top. The best installs I do is that way and it gives excellent hold for the long haul. By the time it starts wearing down, it's time to remove the extensions anyway.

LG and shrinkie residue both come out with the residue remover so you don't need to buy an additional bottle of something else.

Here's the deal, though. I recommend with any method to install just a few strands (5-10 or so), wear them a few days and then remove them. Your entire perception of a method can change just on the removal alone.

Shrinkie/LG removal is more time consuming than a microring removal but far less than regular fusion. It's about right inbetween the two.

Good luck and show us your install when you're done!
niftygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niftygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 7:19am

Amm, you mean pretip with LG and then a shrinkie? So when you install you have a shrinkie tip going into another shrinkie?

I may do some of both to see what I like better.

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 7:54am
Originally posted by niftygirl niftygirl wrote:

Amm, you mean pretip with LG and then a shrinkie? So when you install you have a shrinkie tip going into another shrinkie?

I may do some of both to see what I like better.

Newp. One shrinkie over the pretipped hair. This is just my personal preference but I like to make the tip and the last layer is Liquid Gold. I put the one shrinkie over that for the install. The LG melts nicely along with the inner lining of the shrinkie and it holds really well for me.
niftygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niftygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 8:29am
oh gotcha. I'll try them both ways.
ilovedoublea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilovedoublea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 6:07pm

How do you keep the liquid gold from getting stringy while using it, I have been running it under hot water but its a pain in the butt!Thanks!!

www.JoBugJewelry.com
niftygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niftygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 7:45pm

My pretips are almost done. And my heat wand from Amm was delivered Friday! Yoo Hoo!!!

But I agree, I have found LG to be difficult to work with. It gets so darn gummy and stretches long and stringy.

I'm wondering how people compare the Aleens with nail glue as opposed to LG with nail glue. I'll suffer through LG if it holds up better.

marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 8:26pm
some one told me what to mix in to it, but I can't remeber what it is that thins it out!
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 11:18pm
TCE!!!

there is an ingredient in the LG (read the side of the bottle) that is a solvent, trichlorethene/trichlroethylene/TCE

I have only used lab grade TCE to thin my LG,  But you can get industrial grade at home depot/lowes/true value.  you can get either on the web.  It's nasty stuff.  But then again you're already working with it when you work with LG.

Other than that keep the bottle closed as much as possible.
cherrycoke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherrycoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 11:45pm
Another question about Liquid Gold.  I've been trying to use it to tip some hair and its gotten so thick I cant get it out of the bottlem now  Ive soaked it in warm water but I still cant get it out.  If I put it in really HOT water will that be ok? Will it melt after its gotten kinda solid? Or is it hopeless? I must have left the lid off too long, but I it seemed that it happened over night while the lid was on tightly.  I've been practicing tipping with latex and some other glue someone recommended here but it seems that LG is best for microrings because the tips dont get squashed up in microrings. But damned it soo hard to work with.  Do most of you just use it straight out the bottle or keep it in warm water?  Seems teh first time I used the bottle it was easier but by the second and third try it was just so sticky and hard to get out.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 11:59pm
Thats the bad thing about LG is its hard to get the whole bottle used up before it gets so thick that you cant get it out and the brush gets so gooped up. I always buy the small bottles and its cheap enough that if you have to pitch whats left in the bottom of the bottle...eh no big deal! I remember someone posting something one time about what you can thin the LG with...but seems like it was something that most of us would have to access to purchasing
ilovedoublea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilovedoublea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 11:24am
Cherrycoke-I totally agree about LG, I LOVE how long it lasts, but Yes I have to keep it in hot water at all times, everytime it would harden I would put in hot water again, but the stringy is definetly the killer part JoBug
www.JoBugJewelry.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic