Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please Help Me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JACT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JACT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please Help Me
    Posted: July 10 2005 at 7:56pm

I don't know what possessed me, but I dyed my naturally red hair (medium red) hair BRIGHT red.  I used Clariol's Herbal Essences 'Bold and Brilliant' color...in RUBY RED.  Long story short, it turned my locks to neon red...I kid you not.  My hair looked like it was glow-in-the-dark-RAVER-hair. 

So I called the 800# and they told me to put Hydrience Mocha Brown over it to tone the red down.  I was told this would make it auburn.  Well...it's auburn alright.  It is incredibly dark red.

Then I tried Dawn dish soap (mom's suggestion), and it did nothing to tone it down.

I am typing this with extra virgin olive oil dripping on my keyboard, then will wash it with Prell.  As a backup, I bought Loreal Haircolor Removal, and will test it on a few strands to see what it does.

Which leads me to my questions:

1.  Colorfix seems to be the 'miracle' remover I've been reading about.  Will this tone down this auburn, but still leave some of the red in my hair, or will I have to dye it a light auburn (most like my original color) when I am done?

2.  Will the red dye fade quickly?  I've always heard that red is the hardest to keep, even permanent colors.

Oh, if it helps, my hair is mid-back, layered, somewhat thick, wavy/straight, and in healthy condition.  I have never dyed my hair before, and there are no other chemicals in my hair.  I permed it a few years back, but that's grown out.  I've been told that my hair is very pourous.

Please help me.  I am just at a loss.  Cutting my hair off is not an option.

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 9:04pm
Noooooooo, don't use that L'Oreal product, take it back to the store. It'll bleach the heck out of your hair. It's not like colorfix at all.

To do this you need to go to Sally's and get Colorfix, the real thing.

After you use colorfix, you will still need to color your hair, as it will probably be some weird blotchy color. Buy a demipermanent two shades lighter than you want it.

Red only fades if you don't want it to.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
JACT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JACT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 7:36am

I didn't use the Loreal Color remover.  I'm so gun-shy now I just couldn't bring myself to try it.  My wonderful and ever-so-patient husband is making a run to Sally's for me this morning before he goes to work for some Colorfix.

I'll update you once I've tried it.  Thanks for the input. 

Alexia81189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 8:34am

Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

Red only fades if you don't want it to.

sooo true...

I dyed my blonde hair the dark auburn color and I went to a salon to have it removed because it faded to brown so quickly even with professional products. Anyway they removed all the red dye with very little damage (none that I can see anyway) and dyed my hair back to my natural color. It worked great. Colorfix is the next best thing but it takes alot of patience and alot of rinsing(sp?... looks funny 2 me) Good luck with the colorfix!

JACT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JACT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 9:05am
I made an appointment with the hair dresser.  One who specializes in color correction.  I'm just too chicken to do anything else.  :(
Alexia81189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 9:07am

oOo by the way, if you can have a professional dye your hair your natural color. Long story short, I dyed my hair myself red then had it removed and them dye it natural and then I went back to red except let a pro do it and it was great. eventually went back to natural for family reasons(weird I know). Anyway going to a professional turned things around so quickly for the better too. oOo a protein filler would help your hair accept color if it is very porous. Best of luck

JACT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JACT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 10:42am

Update:

The hair dresser worked a miracle on my hair yesterday!  I am no longer a purple/redhead!  YAY!

She put something in it to remove the hideous color I put in it, and it removed a great deal of it.  Then I was left with a dark red, but closer to my actual color.  To make it look more natural, she added blond highlights all over.  She was going to add a toner to it, but I actually liked the blond streaks, so we decided not to add a toner.  She told me I could always change my mind later if I decide the blonde is too blonde.

Anyway, I learned a valuable lesson from all of this:  swatch test. 

Thanks for all your input ladies!!!  I greatly appreciated it.  :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic