Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new color looks awful! Help! (w/ pics)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
georgiapeach298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgiapeach298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new color looks awful! Help! (w/ pics)
    Posted: July 13 2005 at 8:56pm
Ever since I was a freshman in hs i've been highlighting/dying/both my hair. My natural hair color is ash light brown/really dark blonde. First, i highlighted it, then 6 months later, highlighted it again. (My parents would let me get it done if I had the grades, coming every semester, hence the 6 months) Then six months after that i dyed it an auburn brown and had blonde chunks in it...

Which brings me to six months after that (which is now) where I went to my regular, but not so ritzy hair place because i wanted to dye my hair blonde.  Apparantly, the lady didn't realize that my hair was dyed and my roots were about 3 or 4 inches long, so she dyed it as if it were my natural color. My roots and previous highlights turned out to be a platinum blonde color, while the rest of my hair turned orangish.  She then, realizing her mistake, put toner/more dye/something in my hair trying to get it all to match decently. It just turned my hair almost completely orange...

so i went back and they "fixed it" free of charge and this is what i walked out with...

just a lighter shade of orange...
i'm not about to go back to the place i got this done at, and my parents won't give me anymore hair money till 1st semester ends. so, i was hoping i had options for some do-it-at-home fixes. i have some money to buy like a box of stuff, whether it be hair color remover (would that work?) or another color, or both for that matter.

i was just hoping someone could help me figure out what i need to do to fix my hair. do color removers work? what color can i use to fix it? (i don't care if its brown or blonde, just not any red.) i'd rather have an ash color than one with red tint in it. i'm not really about the whole red head with freckles scene...

thanks in advance!
Tiramisu2c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiramisu2c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 9:40pm
I am so sorry.  That seems like a terrible experience with a hair salon.  If I knew anything about hair, besides what i've done to mine, lol, I'd offer you some advice.  But, the people on this site are really great, really help, and really seem to know what they're talking about.  I wish i came here before i did ANYTHING to my hair, but only got here after the fact. 
Anyway, they'll help you out here, don't worry! 
Good luck!
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 11:00pm

You dont want a color remover.There's nothing to remove since your hairs only been bleached and toned.If you want to go lighter  just bleach and tone.You'll find everything you need to know about doing just that on this board and the "going blonde board".If you want to go darker.Get a protein filler and then dye over your color with demi permanent.It act more like permanent but much gentler.Remember that bleach is meant for non colored hair,like stripped or virgin.And always remember to tell your hairdresser your hair history to avoid these kind of accidents.If they act like they dont care then take your money and run.The good news is your hair doesnt look bad.It just looks strawberry blonde.You shouldnt have too much trouble getting what you initially set out for.Just remember to bleach to a pale yellow color and then tone.Born blonde is supposed to have some really good toners.

Edited by Longhairdreams
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 11:34pm
Put in a darker blonde color... that's what I would suggest. Like Dark Blonde, Medium or something in that area. 
~* Bambi Lee *~
Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 7:42am
The demi that u put over it, if u bleach should be two shades lighter than what ur aiming for w/ a violet base if the bleach makes it yellow.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 8:17am
What everyone is telling you to use can be found at a beauty supply shop, like Sally.  You will need to buy stuff there to be sure you get the right thing.  Don't go for a box of dye at the drug store or it may make it more orange.  (I realize you may already know that, but just in case).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgiapeach298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 10:25am
thanks, everyone. i'll probably go to Sally today since I'll be leaving for Washington till sometime next week...Thanks for all ya'll's help!
Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 10:16pm
let us know how it turned out

learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgiapeach298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 1:35pm

it turned out well.  its not as red as it looks in the picture...its the lighting or something that makes it look like that...but you get the idea. thanks everyone!! ya'll are lifesavers.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 6:52am
It looks great with your skin tone and eyes!  Glad it turned out!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
AmethystKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmethystKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:48am
use a protein filler and a demi permanent dye close to your natural color
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 12:18pm
Good job georgia.Your hair turned out really nice
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 7:24pm
Let your parents call the salon owner and get your money back.  If you were not happy and they tried to fix it and still not happy the salon owner needs to know.  Take the pictures to back up the story.
But do let your parents do the talking.

Signed a salon owner who would very upset if I was unaware of a circumstance like this.  The salon's reputation rides on it.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic