Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

O/T-Airbrush Tanner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: O/T-Airbrush Tanner
    Posted: July 16 2005 at 3:19pm
This is definitely off topic but just wanted to pass this on to my sisters-in-beauty on the board:

Anybody tried that airbrush tanner thing (I think it's as-seen-on-tv)? I thought it was going to be cheesy, but I just tried it and I went from pasty to toasty in 5 minutes with no streaks! This thing works really really well! I still can't believe it. It was about 20 bucks with 2 tan cartridges which is WAY cheaper than going to the spray on tan booth for $35 a pop. It's amazing.
BirdOfEden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 3:34pm

A few questions:  

1.  What brand is it?

2.  How many cartridges do you have to use for a full body?

3.  Price of cartridge refills?

4.  Does it wash off or does it "stain" you that color for extended wear?

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 10:05am
Man, I wish I could find me a good sunless tan system. I stopped going to the booths at the beginning of the year and no matter how well I think I do with the lotions, no matter how well I think I exfoliate, I still get the dark splotches and I look like I have a layer of dirt on my skin when it starts wearing off. Yeah, what brand is it and all the other questions Eden asked?
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 12:23pm

I totally agree Syren!  I love the Sally Hansen one which goes on immediately and is so natural looking.  It also washes off with soap and water. I use the medium - dark skin one.

http://www.sallyhansen.com/airbrushsun.cfm 

x

Edited by shel221
kateadreena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateadreena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 2:35pm
i wish there was  a tan that lasted through shaving your legs etc :(
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 2:46pm
I use the airbrush legs.I like it alot,plus it looks really natural.But its super temporary.It lasts until you take a bath.Maybe I'll try that airbrush tan.It seems to last longer. I almost went to get a spray on  booth tan,but have heard too many bad things.Most people I've talked to said it only lasted a week,and looked like dirt when it came off. .

Edited by Longhairdreams
LuckieDuckies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckieDuckies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 5:40pm

i use fake bake, which is a lotion... it works extremely well... the only downside tho to it is you have to put it on before you go to bed and then wash in the morning but it has definately given me the best looking fake tan

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 7:06pm
The brand is Salon Bronze:
SalonBronzeTan
It takes less than one canister for a full body. The gun plus 2 canisters was $20. My mom bought it at a store, not online or on tv, and it was $20, same as the website.

I've just gotten back from a weekend poolside and it did not come off entirely, but did lighten up some probably bcuz of the chlorine in the water.

If you spray yourself carefully like it says and get someone to do your hard to reach places (back, etc), and let yourself dry, it is streak free and turns you a good tan color, not orange or too dark brown.

And I also agree that Fake Bake is the best color in a bottle of all the ones I've tried.

Edited by Syren123
Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 10:09am

I have an airbrush/compressor from my salon days.  I use the fake bake airbrush liquid in it and it looks so good.  If anyone's interested, I think airbrush is going to be the wave of the future for make-up and tanning, so it's a pretty good investment. You can use it all the time.  If you've ever seen an airbrushed foundation done right, it's amazing.

Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by LuckieDuckies LuckieDuckies wrote:

i use fake bake, which is a lotion... it works extremely well... the only downside tho to it is you have to put it on before you go to bed and then wash in the morning but it has definately given me the best looking fake tan

I second that... It does last well.

I also like Body Drench Spray tan. Doesn't last "as" long but it gives you an instant gawgeous glow!

I'm always testing out Self tanners...So I'll give that a try Syren, Thanks!

I even think I saw it at Target...So that'll give me a reason to go shop!

LauraR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 4:44pm
oh Yes! I just bought this at Sally's about two weeks ago, and yes I am loving it too! the only thing I did notice is that it will fade is a couple of days so you have to re-apply.  I just spray when I get out of the shower and the face looks so good with it.
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 4:48pm
Laura... The SalonBronzeTan? Sally's carries it too?!
LauraR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 4:57pm
Yup, they sure do - in fact I was in there for something totally different and the only reason I bought it was because some guy came in and flashed the front desk girl and showed how much it worked and he was really tan, so I picked it up! I believe it was 19.99 but if you have a Sally's card you get the discount on top
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 5:34pm
I'm on my way now!!!!!
MERGUTHRIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 6:22pm

My online GF (a girl I met bc of extensions and we stay in touch on IM and talk extension, make up, and tans hahahaha) told me TO GET SALONBRONZE she also turned me onto FAKE BAKE the FACE which I have not tried. She has not tried it but said it is supposed to rock. Because of that, I  was on sephora, and discovered bronzers, yea, thats right, i didn't realize what bronzers were b4 that, and so I got...

LANCOME

STAR BRONZER

MAGIC BRONZING BRUSH FOR FACE / BODY

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=55974 76829&category=82596&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

I LOVE IT!!!!

i love plastikhaar
xoxsn0whitexox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xoxsn0whitexox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 10:07am
thats awesome to hear that the Salon Bronze works!! I bought it like a month ago and hadnt tried it yet because i was too scared it wasnt going to work!! wooho!! i am definately trying it now!!
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 6:28pm
I just got the Salon Bronze and it's shweeeet! I am all toasty brown
today and no sun damage!

Have to be every careful because the overspray gets everywhere. I
finally took it outside and watched the extra mist float away instead
of land on my bathroom floor. :)

The thing leaves drops when pointed down and even when using fine
little bursts. I have to rub those in gently but when it's pointed up, it
works like a charm.

Is it the best? No. But it's great for the price and a nice little at-home
way to get some quick color before going out.

Thanks for the tip, Syren!
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Scotchyroo Scotchyroo wrote:

I have an airbrush/compressor from my salon days.  I use the fake bake airbrush liquid in it and it looks so good.  If anyone's interested, I think airbrush is going to be the wave of the future for make-up and tanning, so it's a pretty good investment. You can use it all the time.  If you've ever seen an airbrushed foundation done right, it's amazing.

Can a regular person buy Fake Bake airbrush liquid - I mean someone who's not affiliated with a salon? I'm thinking of investing in an airbrush set up cuz I agree - it looks amazing. I am still loving the Salon Bronze, but am NOT loving only being able to get refill canisters from the website. They drill you on the shipping and I hate that.
Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 3:11pm
Syren, I can't imagine why not.  I believe airbrush tanning originated in the world of adult entertainment/dancing, and crossed over.  I bought my  compressor from some dude in Co. who paints motorcycles (you have to specify its for use on skin so they can adjust the pressure!!!).  I'll go to Fake BAke's site and see if they have a licensing clause.  I suspect not since it's cosmetic and not hairdressing.  Cheeers!!!
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Scotchyroo Scotchyroo wrote:

Syren, I can't imagine why not.  I believe airbrush tanning originated in the world of adult entertainment/dancing, and crossed over.

No kidding! Well, that world has been the source of some of my other favorite things, namely the dance pole, the extreme bikini wax, and the 6" stiletto. 
Quote I bought my  compressor from some dude in Co. who paints motorcycles (you have to specify its for use on skin so they can adjust the pressure!!!).  I'll go to Fake BAke's site and see if they have a licensing clause.  I suspect not since it's cosmetic and not hairdressing.  Cheeers!!!

Thanks, Scotchyroo. In my research of the last half hour, it appears that HVLP sprayers are the latest in the way to go - easier to deal with than a traditional airbrush. That's what I need. There are $600 and $1000 HVLP machines, and then there is this:
http://airgloexpress.com/default.php. They offer the option of super dark solution or nice glowy tan solution. And the price is right. You can offer to tan your friends for $10 and make your money back in a weekend.

Edited by Syren123
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic