Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much do you tip?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
fullxdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullxdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much do you tip?
    Posted: August 05 2005 at 8:28pm

I'm with you greenjello, I'm a lil surprised at the whole tipping attitude overall, as I had stated in one of my other responses, it's not the norm here in Korea to tip either, but being American it's my nature. Somethings are just the norm for me, I feel like tipping a delivery person is perfectly acceptable, just this week I had a discussion with one of my Korean workers about tipping, he orders his lunch almost everyday from the same place and it's always the same delivery man every time.

This also happens to be the same person that delivers if I order from my house. So I asked my employee why he never tips, he said it's not expected, not customary. I said well every time he comes to my house I tip, and when he delivers lunch here for me I tip. He said it's not necessary so from now on when you order lunch and I'm here I'll pay him with your money so you don't have to tip him. I assured him I didn't mind and I tried to explain to him the rational behind it, it's a convenience for us to sit in our office in the air condition, while it's blazing hot outside and have our lunch delivered to us, the least we could do is tip the man for his services.

He argued the point with me and stood firm that it was not necessary to tip this man, he doesn't see it the same way I do, he looks at it as part of the mans job and since he is already getting a paycheck for that job why do we need to tip him. I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this one.

"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 12:18pm
Wow, I am really surprised at some of these responses.  I can't believe that some people don't tip their hairdresser.  I guess in some other countries, that's the norm, but I feel bad for a stylist who doesn't get a tip.  It would be like tipping a waiter $1 for a $40 meal.  That's terrible!  I thought tipping is expected and the norm.

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 6:50am
Surely tipping is not something you can work out--like a science! Not everyone can afford tipping, so the stylist shouldn't feel bad if he/she doesn't get one.
ammonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 5:57am
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

You're supposed to tip?  *shrinks*  I never knew I was supposed to.  Makes me glad I haven't been to a salon in years-- I'm quite poor, so I don't know that I could afford to tip -_- .

so true lol i kind of new but i can barely affored the money for the actual job lol so forget tipping =x anyways this last time tho i was getting my hair done and it was like $25 so then i gave her $30 and she was like "oh thank you" and i was like omg she thinks im tipping her haha well iam not a mean person so i was like "your welcome" lol and left with empty pockets lol.

Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 1:26pm

When I was a kid, noone did any tipping in Sweden. Now, as swedes are travelling more, some have started to tip in restaurants, even though there is always a charge for serving added by the restaurant, usually these days baked into the price of the meal. But tipping the hairdresser? I´d feel like I was patronizing her, and she´d probably feel insulted. It´s so different in different countries. I never tipped my hairdresser when I lived in the US, poor lady... Now I know, too late.

Now, in Hungaria this summer, there was a line on the hotel bill for tips. I have worked at a hotel in Sweden, and tipping?! noo way - I have never ever experienced that. We always tip the cleaning ladies when staying at a hotel, but tipping is surely one of the most difficult aspects of traveling!

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
fullxdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullxdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 6:47pm

Originally posted by eatgreenjello eatgreenjello wrote:

That is very sweet of you.

Just telling it like it is, they say when we tell the truth we shame the devil  High Five

"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
fullxdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullxdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Jade30 Jade30 wrote:

For cheap hair cuts I usually tip half of the price of the cut. For a 40 bucks cut 10 bucks and 100 ... 20 bucks. Again I'd have to consider and keep in mind how entertained I was and if my cut turned out. 

two ?'s - 1. you've paid $100 for a hair cut?  2. what do you mean when you say depends how entertained you were?

"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
Jade30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 1:50am

For cheap hair cuts I usually tip half of the price of the cut. For a 40 bucks cut 10 bucks and 100 ... 20 bucks. Again I'd have to consider and keep in mind how entertained I was and if my cut turned out. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by fullxdiva fullxdiva wrote:

It has nothing to do with bragging greenjello, in situations like that you SEE with your HEART   and not with your EYES, that makes a big difference. We need more people in the world like that, not so much the giving money aspect of it, but being able to look past the exterior of a persons situation, whether good or bad and see that on the inside they are still people with needs.

That is very sweet of you.

Edited by eatgreenjello

LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2005 at 8:18pm
Wow,  that is really touching.

It is so true, you don't know someone's circumstances.

Let me relay a story a client told me once.  Every week she puts out soft drinks and a snack for the trashmen that runs her route.  She does not work and knows when they are coming.  They really appreciate the kindness she gives to them.
My father once talked with the trashmen who picked up on my parents street and found out one of the men's situations (wasn't good)  kids to feed etc.  Well, he found out one was a year younger than my little brother so he started giving him all my brothers hand me downs.  That was about 20 years ago.  But I remeber how grateful the man always was.

I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
fullxdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullxdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2005 at 8:16pm

[/QUOTE]   Sometimes people are so wrapped up in their own drama, that they can't see the REAL world right in front of their eyes.[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with bragging greenjello, in situations like that you SEE with your HEART   and not with your EYES, that makes a big difference. We need more people in the world like that, not so much the giving money aspect of it, but being able to look past the exterior of a persons situation, whether good or bad and see that on the inside they are still people with needs.

Although it's not customary here in Korea to tip, American's do it all the time. Not all, but some of them live in a state of poverty, that is normal everyday living for them. In the U.S, we would consider them extremely poor and homeless.

As far as beauty shops, all local nationals work in the beauty shops on base. And we have ruined them SO bad, we have created tip monsters. Let's say a normal every two week routine for you would be, a hair wash with conditioner and style, manicure, and pedicure. OK, they think that every person that works on you is suppose to get a tip, SO, they try and be slick and it goes like this :one person shampoos, ....one person conditions, .....one person styles, .....two people rotate on your hands,.... and two people rotate on your feet. So that's SEVEN people expecting a tip when leave, and they will follow you to the register and remind you that they worked on you and wait for their tip.

It's not so obvious in the smaller shops, but in bigger ones they are lil more bold about doing it. My mom came to visit last summer so I took her to get her nails and feet done, I told her, when it's your turn, make sure you let them know only one person do your hands and one person do your feet. My daughter is ten and she gets her nails and feet done all the time and they even expect a tip from her. I tell you we have created tip monsters  . If you tipped that generous over here, they would love you, they would probably be fighting each other to get to work on you.

Edited by fullxdiva
"Not Lucky Just Blessed"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2005 at 11:13am
Originally posted by fullxdiva fullxdiva wrote:

We never know a persons situation from the outside looking in, there are people in this world working everyday and still struggle to make ends meet.

Exactly!  I was at the beach in the Dominican Republic once for a very special occassion, and every day I noticed this guy picking up people's trash on the beach and no one ever paid any attention to him.  Well, I really appreciated his job because sometimes people are so rude to just dump their trash on a beautiful beach, because they are too lazy to get off their butts to dump it in a trashcan.  A few days before we left, I walked over to him and gave him a $20.  I know in the DR that is a big amount of money, but to Americans, we can waste away $20 doing nothing. 

I'm not bragging here, but wouldn't it be nice if the world paid more attention to people in low paying jobs like waitresses/waiters, bathroom attendants, trashmen, and so on.  Sometimes people are so wrapped up in their own drama, that they can't see the REAL world right in front of their eyes.

fullxdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullxdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 10:34am

$12 sounds like a lot for a tip on a hair cut, and I would probably never tip that generous unless the person was my regular stylist, I REALLY liked the work done on my hair, or I was moved to give that much, but think about it like this - in situations like this we have a choice to tip whether the service we receive is good or bad, the choice is still ours. I can't stand when I go into a restaurant or receive service where the gratuity is automatically added to my bill regardless of the quality of service, UNLESS of course it's a big group of us, that I can understand, but what if I don't want to tip someone for poor service, but because it's added I don't have a choice.

Also we tip stylists not just for their service but for their time, their skills, and sometimes they use their own products or tools just to give their customers better service. So if it's on your heart to give a $12 tip by all means do so, plus I was always taught if God puts something on your heart to do, then just do it and don't worry about it b/c for all you know you might have provided that person a way to buy food or diapers or gas home or anything. We never know a persons situation from the outside looking in, there are people in this world working everyday and still struggle to make ends meet.

"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
EMN_2005 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMN_2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 12:01am
I generally tip 20% and sometimes more if I really like what he or she did.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 11:28pm

The standard tip I receive is $5 on a $32 haircut. 

And $10-20 for a $99.50 foil highlight and cut.

I have really good tippers and some that won't at all

Believe me, the tip is very appreciated.  I would NEVER tell my clients this but we do remember who tips well and who doesn't.  We try to give the best service to every client but human nature makes you treat the good tippers better.  I am myself a very good tipper in restaurants and the bag boy at the grocery store.  These employees remember this and race to serve me.   And some of my very best tippers work in the service industry also.

The price of the cut DOES NOT ALL go into our pocket.  For me, about 30% actually lands in my pocket.  Overhead is horrible.

Please remember this when visiting your stylist.

Also remember, if you forget to tip the stylist really worries if they did something wrong.

Edited by LiliBeach
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:29am

Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

You're supposed to tip?  *shrinks* 

That's really funny!

Murdoch, I love your rabbit!  I'm a total animal lover.

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I don't have an accurate view of the proper tip because my family are such huge tippers.  My sister buys a $12 pizza, and gives the delivery guy $20 and tells him to keep the change.  I just want to make sure I give them an accurate tip to show my appreciation for the good cut.

murdoch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murdoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 1:18am

lol when i went to hair dressers with my mum she tipped the lady £1 which is like 2 dollers lol,

what they got your money for the cut already

my rabbit- her hairs always perfect!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 12:37am

I've been to a salon once, and a barber once. The salon had a standard flat rate because they were a big franchise, but I think they had a tipping jar.

$12 is very generous

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 11:56pm

You're supposed to tip?  *shrinks*  I never knew I was supposed to.  Makes me glad I haven't been to a salon in years-- I'm quite poor, so I don't know that I could afford to tip -_- .

More awesome than a manatee!
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 10:08pm

Personally, my shampoo lady is who cuts my hair....so I only tip her.

12 dollars on a 40 dollar hair cut seems good to me....not cheap at all.  I'd say 20% is just fine....

Its all up to you and how well you like your cut...and how she listens to you and your concerns with your hair.

*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic