Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

From dark brown to platinum. How?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stiletto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiletto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From dark brown to platinum. How?
    Posted: July 28 2005 at 2:50pm
Okay, well I've never really done anything to my hair besides adding around 8 copper highlights. My hair is REALLY dark, almost looks black but it's not. I was wondering how I could turn it platinum and how much damage this could cause?
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 10:05am
Go to a Salon.
I am pretty much the color you described. I am now blonde, but without my hair falling off/out I can not be a true Plantinum.
Go to a Salon, it's all I suggest.

~* Bambi Lee *~
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 4:51am
Yep.  Go to a salon.  That's going to cause a good deal of damage, but maybe can be done depending on how fragile your hair type. A good conditioner may be able to get it to look nice and shiny, even if it feels kind of strawlike (I've had platinum, and my natural hair is not nearly as dark).  You will have to decide which you want more, platinum or health (personally I chose platinum for 6 years).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
stiletto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiletto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 2:31pm

Well, I've been told when I get haircuts, etc that my hair is in really good condition. I've only used an iron about 10, 12 times in my life and the highlights I have were basically the only dye that has ever been in my hair. Now, say I go to the salon; they bleach, colour it platinum..

Then, couple weeks later the roots starting showing up. How often can I bleach the roots? If I don't like platinum on myself, I could go back to dark brown easily, right? I have golden brown eyes and a medium tan. You think I would be able to pull platinum off?

One more thing.. how much does this usually cost?

Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 10:14pm

From the sounds of it your probably a level 2 or 3 and you want to goto a platinum blonde. That's something that can be accomplished in one color service but I'm not so sure I'd recommend trying it. It could be extremely damaging to your hair if it's not done properly so I'd suggest going lighter in stages and monitoring your health of your hair. Talk to a colorist who is experienced with lifting as many as 7 or 8 levels because this is your hair after all and you gotta live with the results. Goldwell does have a Highlift Color Series but I think you need to be at least a level 4 to be a candidate for that type of color service and since you are darker it still might not bring you to the level blonde that you want to be.

Or if you want to try it in one service with their Oxycur Platin lightener. It lifts up to 7 levels which should get you where you want to go but be warned it's called Lightener but that's just a clever marketing plot. It's BLEACH! No if's and's or but's about it. Whatever ya do make sure you have a colorist who knows WTH they are doing with bleach. If your haircolor gets lifted past the Pale Yellow Stage better known as Level 10 your hair will be chemically damaged and breakage could occur.

I guess I'd try taking it in steps but make sure you have a professional perform this type of service.

FabulousHairExt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FabulousHairExt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 1:07am

Stiletto you can touch up your roots as soon as 2 weeks after your full color application. However most people that successfully bleach there hair and keep it in good condition do touch up's every 4 to six week's. Hope this helps.                    

fyi I know my spelling sux!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 10:25am
If you aren't sure you're going to like it, try a wig first and make sure.  No point in getting all that damage if you are not sure.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
muneca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muneca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 5:20am
people make things sound like your gonnaget surgery or something.. no big deal! ive bleached my hair 2 times and dyed it once within one weeks time and look at me lol im fine. ok so first of all the salon is way too expensive.. second of all.. they will tell you that you cant have platinum because your hair is dark brown and it will turn out orange so they will hesitate and talk you out of it lol. i say have you mom or someone do it like in my case.. after those 2 bleach jobs i still havent achived the platinum i also want! im going for the 3rd using manic panic lightening kit manicpanic.com and i know this will be the end lol dark hair is a real you know what! specially because brown has alot of red pigment and hence the orange outcome after one bleach. good luck and dont be scared it wont fall off or be like straw if you deep condition it for like a week before you bleach and then after.. mine is soft and i will post pics later on.
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 12:20pm
I agree the salon is far to expensive and they will try to talk you out of it, but they are supposse to do thier job. U don't go to a resturant and want to order the steak but they try to sell you the burger instaed. It's just stupid... they should do thier job. But of course you don't go to a piercer and say I want some strange place in my body pierced, a place that can't be pierced and they do it...
it's still safer to go to a salon if you are slightly attached to yoru hair. I am not overly attactched, I know it grows back. :) I bleached mine 9 times. Whoopsie. ;)
If you bleach your hair it will:
Be dry, your hair will break off in places if you bleach it too much. It may look healhty for a while but trust me it will still be dry.
Mine looks good for about a day, shiny and silky but by the time the day is done it's stiff and feels dry. If yoru willing to sacrafice the feeling of 'healhty' hair then go for it, do it yourself, bleach the hell out of it and try to get it to teh color you want, trust me you'll never get there on your own. ;) I've tried... 9 times i might add. LOL ;)
Rock on

~Bambi~
~* Bambi Lee *~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic