Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

any tips to make my install last longer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dunebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: any tips to make my install last longer?
    Posted: July 29 2005 at 11:47am

Well I'm on about week 3 of my 2nd full head shrinkie install. It's lasted much much better this time around. I did my pre-tips with LG, then I dipped them in nail glue and then I dipped them in LG again to see if that would help hold them in. It seems to have, as I've only started to lose them this last week which is a lot better than last install which didn't last at all really. I've lost about 8 or 9 this past week out of 125. It's very time consuming though as I'm basically tipping them 3 times, is that totally unecessary? I think I really need that coat of LG on top and when I tried a few test pieces with LG and nothing else they didnt last... so thats why I did it the way I did.

I used double drawn RK hair which I wont use again, I'm going to try the single drawn remy next time, I'm willing to give it another chance as I know some people have said their single drawn is nice. This stuff I don't like though, it tangles a LOT.

I'm wondering though if anyone can give me any tips to make my install last longer, it was solid as anything for the first couple of weeks, and I thought it was going to go the distance, but this last week or so it has started to slip a little, and I'm getting some shedding too.

When I installed I washed my hair that day, used no conditioner and since then I've washed it every couple days and try to keep the conditioner off the roots (which isn't easy so maybe it's getting on there more than i think it is)

I really like the shrinkies though they are easy and quick to work with, I've been doing a modified PB method for about 13 years on myself and it always took me days to complete, this I can do my whole head in a day which I LOVE! So I'd like to persevere with them... I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas for what I can do to make them last longer... maybe when I install I should hold the heat on them longer... I use the hottest setting on docs wand and I hold it till it crackles and then as soon as I can get my fingers on it I roll it.

Any ideas?

Sorry if I'm long winded, I kind of think as I type so if it's a bit blah blah blah I apologise :)

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 5:58pm
some people just have slippery hair :(  have you tried wiping your roots with a bit of alcohol on a cotten ball before installing the shrinkie?
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 9:20pm
I have some clients who are having a hard time this set because of summer and the heat or just being more active . There scalps are oilyer. These are people who have done fine with them other sets. I am puting these girls back in pro shells for now. Oil and shrinks don't mix. My set I tipped with epoxy then coat of LG. Two weeks so far so good. And because it's plastic if it comes out I just put it back in. 1/2 head shrinks the oter 1/2 shells so I can show clients both
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 1:03am
OHOHOHOHOH! Liquid gold has a thing to seal out oil and moisture, maybe a bit of that wiped on the shrinkie after install?
Dunebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 2:25am

you know, the heat could have something to do with it, i know my skin is oilier in the summer in general, and it is crazy hot here right now, hmmm... thats certainly something to consider.

Kalika, they do? Is it on their website? I am going to check it out right now!

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 2:27am

http://store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-38729108487620_1855_648450

I havent tried it yet, but Im thinking after you install rubbing this over the edges of the shrinkie could help keep stuff out. 

Edited by Kalika
Dunebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 5:08pm

I'm certainly willing to try! I'm going to get some and give it a go. I'll post my results when I see how it works out :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic