Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

attaching wefts with shrinkies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dunebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: attaching wefts with shrinkies
    Posted: August 03 2005 at 12:32am

So I think I'm going to take out my current shrinkie install as it's just shedding too much, apparently my pre-tips aren't up to the task....

I've seen a couple of you mention on here about using shrinkies to attach your wefts and I can't quite figure out how that would work.... If anyone could give me any pointers that would be great, or direct me to a thread that covers it... I couldnt seem to find one.

Updated to say:

Ok, i just looked at the method on the dr locks site for attaching a weft using microlinks so I'm assuming it's the same principle, but I don't really understand how you make the 'x's' it talks about... the pictures for that one are small and it's hard to see (I'm not talking about the one where you sew the links onto the weft, I'm looking at the other one)

Edited by Dunebug
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 12:12pm
They X's are like....you take a little bit of hair and pull the shrinkie onto it (using the hook or threader). Then you stick the needle through the shrinkie in the opposite direction- going "down" away from the scalp- and grab another small chunk of hair in the hook. Hold on to the end of the first chunk of hair (so it doesn't slide out) and pull the hook out the way it came. You'll have a shrinkie going horizontally, with hair going both into and out of it at each end. Pull each end of the hair tight- like tightening the ends of a knot- and, while holding taut, hit it with the heat clamp.

I like to hold one tail of hair with my pinkie and ring finger against my palm, and the other tail between my thumb and index finger, leaving my other hand free to do the heat-sealing (well in my case, it's microring-clamping, but the hand motions are the same).

Try looking at the demo where you sew the rings onto the weft- it's actually the exact same thing, only you do things in a different order. There's better photos of the Xs on that demo; just pretend, when you're looking at it, that the weft isn't there yet. :) lemme know if you've got any other questions; I do this method at least once a week, so I can gurgle endlessly about it.

-Rae
gsmilie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsmilie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 12:54pm
Ok, here is a question.  Does'nt the "x" make your hair stand out all funky?
Dunebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 2:33pm

Ohhhh... I totally get it now, thanks for the explanation, I checked out that other demo too and its much easier to see what theyre talking about.

That sounds like its going to be hard to do on the back of my own head, but I'm willing to give it a try....

And I'm wondering the same thing too, doesnt the 'x' make your hair kind of poke out in wierd directions? How well do you think it would work if you just made a row with the shrinkies attached the regular way (vertical) and didnt do the X?

zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 11:48pm
No, your hair sticks out sideways flat against your head a little bit, but then curves down. It's like this- that's with one weft flipped up.

It may be hard to do on your onw head; I've never tried, tbh. If you've got a coordinated friend, though (no extension experience necesary, just hand-eye coord.), that should be good enough.

Attaching them the normal way wouldn't work, because you've got to sew through that section, and a shrinkie section is really small- I'd be afraid you'd be putting too much weight on the hair. Though some people do do it without any sewing, by taking a small bit of hair coming off the weft, and a small bit of hair from the scalp, and putting those both in the shrinkie together (going through the same direction).

-Rae

cherrycoke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherrycoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 2:03pm
I don't understand how you get the shrinkie attached to the weft?  Sure you can't sew it can you?  Wouldnt that cause some trouble with the thread, shrinkie, glue getting all stuck to gether or something?
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 11:37am
Nah, you make the track first, then sew through that base of the track. You don't end up actually sewing through the shrinkie at that point, because it's already closed.

Oh, and here's the link I meant to post in that last comment:

"No, your hair sticks out sideways flat against your head a little bit, but then curves down. It's like this- that's with one weft flipped up."

-Rae

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic