Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how do you get long hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 10:11pm

I think the thinning just came from me brushing it in that circle every night--its not really a "natural" direction for the hair to be combed or brushed in.  I tried changing the direction of the wrap to see if that would help---but it wasn't long before I just threw in the towel all together  My lil hair just didn't like it.  I try not to manipulate my hair too much nowadays and wrapping all this hair (especially since I like to stretch my relaxers)  requires an act of Congress and alot of manipulation. 

At night, I just moisturize my hair and pin it in a loose bun with no ties and holders and tie it down with a scarf.

diedre0125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diedre0125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 10:28pm
That's awesome, I do that after I long night of studying or partying (since I take less classes in the summer). Thanks for that information, I didn't know wrapping can be so harmful. Your hair looks very nice though :)

smahone2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smahone2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 8:53am

Sistaslick,

Can you show a picture or explain how you put your hair in this bun at night

KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 7:28pm
Wow, I didn't realize wrapping would cause some damage.  I used to do it all the time & I stopped because my hair was too thick.  Now, since I'm trying to get my hair back really healthy, I decided to try wrapping it again and have been doing so every night.  I guess I'll go back to my bun at night.  Just curious Sistaslick, you said you put your hair in a "loose bun, with no ties or holders and tie it down with a scarf".  How do you keep your hair together until you tie it down if you don't hold it down with something?  Sorry if it's a stupid question - just having a hard time with the visual!
HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!
KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 7:46pm

Sistaslick - Your pic shows your hair from August to February.  In that 6 month period, what did you do/use?  Your hair is gorgeous and so thick.  Mine used to be & always has been, but last year this time (about 8 months after the birth of my daughter), my hair started to thin (shedding badly) & has continued on this path until about a week ago when I decided to go back to my old regimine of Nioxin products.  I noticed that you said no petroleum/mineral oil/SLS/ALS free products - what do you use to moisturize with on a nightly basis?  Do you relax your hair?

Diedre0125 - you mentioned that you never grease your scalp or put grease in your hair.  How do you moisturize daily and keep it soft?  Your hair is very pretty!

HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!
Jamgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by diedre0125 diedre0125 wrote:

I think you should keep your regime simple too. Some people do wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much to their hair.

I agree with that part. All this every day conditioner washing definitely isnt for me and is alot of manipulation for each day. When I was natural, I jumped on the conditioner wash every day wagon and after a while my hair was coming out like crazy each time I combed it. It wasnt half as bad when I stopped the no-poo washes. so I learnt, water and conditioner isnt for my hair everyday.

Sharon71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 2:23pm

Hi 

I'm from the keep heat down to a minimum (avoid if you can), chemical free and not washing hair too often camp. I wash my hair every four weeks and give it a real deep heat steam conditioner in the steam room.  I clarify my scalp before deep conditioning with an apple cider vinegar and water mix  . Horsetail herbs which you can get from a natural health food store boiled in water ( like tea ) and strained as a final rinse gives  my hair loads of body and strength.

Sharon71XxX
Natural 10 yrs,mostly 4b,past BSL length(at back)
Joined Shoulder length challenge 15th April 2006.
GOAL: Healthy,thicker shoulder/L unstreched for Dec 12/15th 06'
Phoenix1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 2:31pm

What I do is wash in 4 braids to avoid major tangling, breakage and thinness. I then take the 4 braids out after washing. It's easier this way.

I moisturize everyday, and wear a bun to protect the ends from the sun and preserve moisture. I wear the bun at night as well.

I also wash and flat iron once a week. I add moisture while I am flat ironing though.

I finger comb, before combing it to avoid breakage from tangles also.

I use chemicals in my hair as well. I'm relaxed. You just have to be careful with it.

ETA - Like someone else said, only trim if you need it.

Edited by Phoenix1017
My Hair Site
Copy site: http://phoenix1017.sitesled.com

Current Length:32"
Helixe_2006 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helixe_2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by BrownEyez2 BrownEyez2 wrote:

Originally posted by Sistaslick Sistaslick wrote:

wrapping thinned my hair on one side it doesn't work for everybody.

I've heard other complaints of how wrapping thins hair. I haven't had any problems w/ it thus far, but don't want any damage in the long run. So, I'm curious as to HOW and WHAT causing the thinning???

When my hair was relaxed, it did me the same way. The left side of my hair was significantly thinner than the right. I believe it is the brushing (if you do any) you know how you go around.... well where you start (left or right) may have a problem and you can say that there's tension where you start the wrap. My hairline started to thin in that area only and the rest was long and straight...kinda strange huh?

taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 8:22pm

phoenix: doesnt making 4 braids tangle it more when its wet? and doesnt all the dirt and other "stuff" from yur scalp get caught up in the braids if they cant run down the hair freely? i really dont understand this whole braiding to wash thing.break it down for  sista

Phoenix1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 9:21pm

No. I have no tangles at all when I do it. Dirt? I don't let my head get that dirty. I wash often and thoroughly too.

You just braid it, get in the shower, wash it, get out of the shower, and dry it. Basically, you wash it regular with your finger tips massaging the scalp then you wash the length of your hair with soap and squish it through till you get bubbles and stuff. Then you stand in the shower and rinse and do it all again until it is clean.

It's not a new technique. Sistaslick up there does it as well as lots of others. Who was it that came up with it? It wasn't the Crown & Glory lady. It was the other one.  I think her name is Cathy Howse.

Edited by Phoenix1017
My Hair Site
Copy site: http://phoenix1017.sitesled.com

Current Length:32"
taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 8:39pm
oh ok, i think i mite try it
merisit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merisit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 1:29am

What works for me is:

1.) NEVER comb my hair dry (it must be wet w/ either moisturizer or water)

2.) ALWAYS use my K-cutter. 

3.) Comb/ or mess with my hair as little as possible.  The less I deal with it the less it breaks off and the more it grows!

So for instance, since Im a very low maintenance girl, after CW my hair once a week... I moisturize it then comb it into a pony.  For the rest of that week, I don't comb my hair only brush the fuzzies in the front down w/ some moisturizer and redo my pony holder.

I love my afro puff ponies!   And since its a nice size puff in the back, it doesn't look that bad on me.

It's easy. It's low maintenance. And it works!

Since December I've grown 2".  I just flat ironed my hair and measured it and now its 25"!

Natural since: Spring 00'
Type: 3c
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 2:58pm

I wash my hair often, but I don't "overwash" it. I wash about twice a week, sometimes 3.

I don't always use the same shampoo. I have a "dry/conditioning" shampoo, and a "normal" shampoo. The same with conditioners.

If my hair is damaged, I have no fears in cutting it all off and starting over.

ALSO, VERY IMPORTANT:

I give my hair GOOD ENERGY. I LOVE my hair and think it's the most gorgeous hair on earth. I don't want anyone else's texture, color, style, etc. I only do what's good for MY hair. My hair is great texturized versus relaxed straight, and even though I love how straight hair looks on some people, I know it's not for MY hair.

Even when my hair was natural, I would wash it, and just grab it and pull my fingers through it and love it. Sometimes my scalp feels tingly when I just think of how pretty and strong it is (I'm QUITE narcissistic!), and rub my hands over it to marvel at how healthy it feels.

KEEP IN MIND: Ever notice that the very people you hear (most of the time, but not all the time) complaining about how their hair won't grow, are the ones who hate the texture and color of their hair? Not only do they do lots of bad things to their hair (over-relaxing, over-coloring), but their hair gets bad "energy" by not being loved for what it is and by being pushed to be another texture or color. Also, just feeling like "I hate my hair, I wish it would..." is bad energy for your hair because you're saying it's not good enough.

That's an odd opinion, I know, but that's just how I feel. I won't be offended by those who disagree.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
AshleyNicole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshleyNicole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 7:56pm
I also disagree that heat causes your hair not to grow because I wash, press and flat iron my hair every week and my hair is 10 times healthier than it was when I would hardly use heat on my hair.  My hair has also grown more now that I keep it pressed
fek12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fek12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 2:36pm
 I have long layers what are some tips for growing my hair out.
sexyyella316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyyella316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 1:16pm
Try using a Deep conditioner like olive oil replenishing pak the put in a leave in treatment afterwards every two weeks and keep it moist.
Arita a.k.a Sexyyella316

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by smahone2 smahone2 wrote:

Sistaslick,

Can you show a picture or explain how you put your hair in this bun at night

aww man, i am so late on this thread! but there is a pic in my hair album of my loose night time bun.  Its just my hair loosely gathered and twisted around and around with the ends moistened and tucked under.  I don't use any pins or holders so I have to move quickly before it pops back undone.  I just quickly tie it down before it unravels. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by KBaby KBaby wrote:

Sistaslick - Your pic shows your hair from August to February.  In that 6 month period, what did you do/use?  Your hair is gorgeous and so thick.  Mine used to be & always has been, but last year this time (about 8 months after the birth of my daughter), my hair started to thin (shedding badly) & has continued on this path until about a week ago when I decided to go back to my old regimine of Nioxin products.  I noticed that you said no petroleum/mineral oil/SLS/ALS free products - what do you use to moisturize with on a nightly basis?  Do you relax your hair?

Diedre0125 - you mentioned that you never grease your scalp or put grease in your hair.  How do you moisturize daily and keep it soft?  Your hair is very pretty!

again, sorry so late for the reply.  Everything I use in the about me section of my hair album on the left hand side menu.  No pw required.  Yes, my hair is relaxed.  My favorite moisturizers are Neutragena Triple Moisture silk touch leave in and ORS olive oil moisturizer- sealed with vatika (coconut) oil.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic