Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gluing other things into hair.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BirdOfEden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gluing other things into hair.....
    Posted: August 19 2005 at 6:12pm

I saw a picture recently of a girl who had some feathers glued into her hair.  It was all exotic and looked fabulous.  I also saw a picture where the girl had strands of crystals glued it. 

I thought it might be fun to brainstorm other ideas of things to put in hair!   Maybe not necessarily for a daily basis, but something to wear out to a club or halloween (which is coming in 2 months).

marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 8:16pm
I think it was the cinderella hair that sold strands with cristals on it
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2005 at 5:32am
Yes, I have some of those. They're called Diamante Strands.

They lasted no time at all and fell apart. They were pretty while they were in though.

Since then I've made my own. They're really easy.

Use Swarovski flatbacks - you can get them at artbeads.com (they offer free shipping!) SS16 or SS20 are the perfect size to get for this project or you can go just a tad smaller. Order extra, too, because you can put them on sunglasses, purses, whatever. They're addicting!   

Break into hubby's tackle box and get some fishing line and cut off the length you want to use for the strand.

Put a little glob of fusion glue on one end and make your own nail end with the fishing line set into it and then trim up the line so it's flush with the nail tip.

Now put your crystals on.

Lay a flatback bottom side up, put a dab of nail glue on it, put the line over top and then lay another flatback down over that. Space them out as you like and go as far down the line as you want.

You'll need tweezers, steady hands and just a little patience.

They're fun to make and the homemade ones have lasted longer than the ones I bought.

With the holidays coming up, they really jazz up the hair.
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 10:53pm
Oh, that sounds so fun!  I'm going to make some.  I have some little strands of beads with little velcro disk attachments at the top that my mom bought a long time ago, but they had a habit of sliding down my hair.  Think it would be possible to use shrinkies to hold these, since I have shrinkies but no fusion?

BirdOfEden, have you browsed through the show-off section of Quinn's board?  http://pub126.ezboard.com/bhair18356 They use all sorts of stuff. I particularly like crin tubing and rexlace, but those are probably best left to falls.  I've used rexlace, but it's a little tricky. I also like ribbons.  Really skinny ribbons almost look like hair from far away, and you can buy spools of it cheap at the craft store.

Edited by leia1979
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 11:57pm
hmmm amm, something else for u to sell?????
Bringing beauty, one head at a time...
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 1:02am
dont they get in the way when you brush?
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 1:06am
Originally posted by TanglesRC TanglesRC wrote:

Hmmm no, Tangles. I thought I'd give away this big secret as a freebie.
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Kalika Kalika wrote:

dont they get in the way when you brush?

Big time. You have to gently fingercomb around them. They're more for special events than everyday wear.
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 1:08am

ahh okies, thanks :)

this extensions hair is so darn tangly as it is...

sansconformist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sansconformist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 7:24am
Kalika, something I have done that works well on extention hair - but not so well on my own baby fine slippery hair - is instead of gluing crystals to either side of monofiliment, I glue them to a tiny snap, like for clothing. Then you just snap the snap togethether with a little bit of hair caught in between. In hair with any texture it hold pretty well, and then you can just take them down to brush.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 9:42am

Originally posted by amm amm wrote:

Originally posted by TanglesRC TanglesRC wrote:

Hmmm no, Tangles. I thought I'd give away this big secret as a freebie.

Thanks AMM.  I actually saw someone in Dallas at a nightclub wearing these and they were sparkling something fierce. 

Thanks so much for sharing.  I am a bit of a klutz but even I felt like I could handle this with your instructions. 

Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 9:44am
Bird I assume you've seen the stuff on Quinn's board with all kinds of plastic in people's hair for various reasons.  Some of it could be easily adapted for halloween costuming.
I braided in about 2 dozen ribbons and 2 dozen pieces of plastic lacing as part of my fairy costume last halloween.  It took less than an hour...(I had an assistant)
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 6:16pm

another project at my house!  thanks for the step by step Amm!

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 7:07pm
You're welcome! As far as the snap-ons go, I have something similar to that also.

They're coil springs though.

They stretch out, you put your hair strand in the middle and you press it back into place. The crystals are embedded into both ends and they're flush against your hair. No matter which way your strand turns, it has a crystal showing. I have them in pink, red, blue, topaz & clear crystal and I got them about 5 years ago in a little kiosk in the Scottsdale Mall in AZ. I cannot remember the name of the things but they're much easier to wear than the strands. If anyone finds these, can ya post the link?
CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by BirdOfEden BirdOfEden wrote:

I saw a picture recently of a girl who
had some feathers glued into her hair.  It was all exotic and
looked fabulous.  I also saw a picture where the girl had
strands of crystals glued it. 

I thought it might be fun to brainstorm other ideas of things to
put in hair!   Maybe not necessarily for a daily basis, but
something to wear out to a club or halloween (which is coming
in 2 months).

Hey Bird- I got mine at AD for $20 USD. It's called 'Birds of a
Feather'. It's 3 altogether. It comes with the glue pretips.
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 10:50pm
Crystal sproingy hair things and stuff!

http://www.efashioncatalog.com/html/pages/00014.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic