Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

making waves without frying (Prohair)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making waves without frying (Prohair)
    Posted: August 20 2005 at 10:14pm
Hello hair geniuses....

I tried an experiment curling my hair today, but I need advice on how to improve the outcome.  I know we've determined that hot rollers work really well on monofiber.  Unfortunately, my real hair falls straight in about an hour or two when I use hot rollers.  For me, those flexi-rod curlers and setting lotion overnight are the way to go.  I used six large rods, spritzed setting lotion, and spiral-wrapped them.  In the morning, I applied a little heat with my dryer to help the synth curl, too.

When I took my hair out of the rollers, it actually looked pretty good...more wavy than curly.  A friend of mine said I looked like Kate Beckinsale, which I took as a great compliment.  However, the synth hilights didn't wave very well.  I'd love suggestions on how to make it come out a little better tomorrow. 

One idea I had was to use a couple more curlers (maybe eight total), and apply heat for a longer period of time in the morning.  Another idea would be to touch up the Prohair with a large curling iron, but I'm afraid of frying it.  What do you think?
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 9:51am

Do you have the kind of hot rollers that you plug into the electrical outlet to heat them up?  That's what I use.  I heat the rollers and put them in the hair and let it completely cool.  They must be completely cool or you will pull your curl out. 

Before I put a roller in each section, I take the small section of hair and spray it with a thermal setting spray, like Biolage Thermal Active Setting spray.  (there are many others on the market too).  I spray the section and then roll it and let it cool.

I wouldn't use a curling iron.  I tried to use a curling iron on low, and it didn't even do anything.  If the heat is too high you will fry the hair.

zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2005 at 8:46am
I've had luck with a curling iron on low, fwiw.
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2005 at 9:15am
I use the curling iron maybe once a week on synth.  Then you can put it on the regular rollers witht he natural hair to keep it springy.
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 10:22pm
I think I'm going to try the thermal setting spray next time.  I like hot rollers, and would love it if they'd hold longer.  While it's not a beauty supply store, I took a peek at Longs (for some reason, my local one carries a ton of Matrix, Paul Mitchell, Redken, etc.), but I didn't see any setting spray.  Of course, some products have such odd names (especially the Tigi ones) that I wasn't sure what they're for.

I might also do some curling iron experiments on some extra PH first, rather than risk the extensions on my head. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic