Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Off topic, seeking advice - web software

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off topic, seeking advice - web software
    Posted: August 23 2005 at 5:59pm

I want some advice on which web authoring software to use to make  a webpage.

The webpage that I currently have was designed professionally, and I like it very much, but I want to have more control over it.  As it is now, everytime I want anything changed, like adding  a  picture, etc, they charge me to make the changes.  I want to be able to do it myself.

What web authoring software have you used?  I am looking for something that is easy for a beginner to use. 

Right now, I am currently looking at MS Front Page or Adobe Go Live.  I think that Dreamweaver is way to sophisticated for my needs and low skill level.  In college I used Adobe Page Mill, and it was simple, but I don't think they make that one anymore. 

Any suggestions from you smart, computer savy women?

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 6:36pm
MS Front Page is great for any beginner. It's WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) so you can build your pages offline knowing exactly what they'll look like when you upload them.

They have built-in templates for you to choose from. Do you have your own hosting company and an FTP (file transfer program) to upload your own photos? You can get something like CuteFTP or there are several available freewares of FTP programs on the Internet.
Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 9:39pm
Hi Metalgirl~I bought the Macromedia Dreamweaver 2004
edition for maintaining my site a while ago….heehee…haven’t
used it myself yet!! My friend ended up starting to design for me
so I haven’t even dabbled with the actual program. I think there
is a newer edition out now in Dreamweaver. It looks a little
involved though……well I’m not a computer person so you
might find it easier. This is where I got the software…..
http://
www.macromedia.com/

EDIT: OOPPS... just saw what you said about
Dreamweaver......yeah I think I need a few lessons to tackle this
program myself.

Edited by Save~A~Stray
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 10:15pm
I've used Dreamweaver a little, but if you don't want anything too fancy, I think MS FrontPage would be a better choice.  I think Dreamweaver is a little complicated, wheras FrontPage is pretty straightforward and easy to learn.

I've never used Adobe Go Live, but I love Photoshop and PageMaker (although the latter was originally by Aldus), and I need to convince my boss to get me Adobe Illustrator.

Oh, and I heard yesterday that Adobe bought Macromedia, so who knows what they're going to come out with now.

Edited by leia1979
CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by metalgirl metalgirl wrote:

and I like it very much, but I want to have
more control over it.  like adding  a  picture, etc,

You can keep the design and add your pictures by using
Contribute 2 by Macromedia. I have mine for sale. Do you
want it? Name your price.

Lisa, this is what I used, when the pros used to do my site.
Then I got comfortable going solo.

I have an imac. I don't know if this is windows friendly. But let
me tell you this software is sooooo eeeaaasssyyy
You don't need to redo your whole site- just add pictures and
change the words or whatever!!!

The first step is to get the password and user name from the
web pros who designed the site for you and just
CONTRIBUTE!!!

GOOD LUCK

Edited by CyberMane
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 8:32pm
I have to say.  If you already have the code for the original site. I'd (gasp) just use notepad.  Replace the name of the photo you want changed in the code.  Upload the new photo and new code. Boom change made.  Then again If you have lots of fancy scripts in there it will be a mess to look at.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic