Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Styling Short Bobs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
the_katiekat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_katiekat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Styling Short Bobs
    Posted: August 23 2005 at 8:20pm
Hi there,

I'm Filipina and I have straight, fine/slippery, yet thick hair (I don't know if this makes sense). I recently cut my hair into a one length (with lots of layers in the back) bob that falls down over an inch above my chin. The style looks like a shorter version of the picture below. I'm pretty happy with the hairstyle due to its versatility and ease of care (I've worn my hair long for years).

Keeping my hairtype in mind, are there other styles that can be done besides the straight, one-length style? I'm thinking of probably flipping some of the layers out a bit but I don't know how to do that (I've had long hair that I BARELY styled at all). Are there also other styling options for a hairstyle like this? So far I've been wearing my scarf as a headband, and I've been using barettes on the side.

Also, I'm going to be attending a wedding in a month. I would like to learn new ways of styling my bob for formal occassions.

PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 8:31pm
Get yourself a round brush or a vent brush and try flipping it in or out with that.

Do you mind using a blow dryer? You can wet your hair and then use the dryer and brush to flip it out or in.

But try flipping it without the dryer first.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 8:33pm
Another option is using a curling iron.

If you plan to keep your hair short then you don't need to worry about using one too often.
the_katiekat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_katiekat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 9:25pm

^

Thanks for the advice. I don't mind blowdrying at all! It doesn't take as long to dry my hair as it used to. I have a round brush but have difficulty trying to flip my hair out with it.

I'm also wondering how I can do a "messy" look. Funny how the bob looks so neat on my head (regardless how I mess it up), but it was the "messy" look that I really liked when I had long hair. Anyway that can be achieved?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 9:38pm
you could try wetting your hair or using gel and kinda do little twists or braids or buns.
Like sections the size of a pencil. Do a bunch of those and let them dry all the way. You can also help it with the blow dryer, just be careful not to burn your scalp.

Then let the hair loose and you should have some waves or something kinda messy.

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 2:44am

You can make baby ponytails or braids at the sides.  I used to do that with a bob.  Really, you could do as many braids as you like. . . if you put some small ones all the way around, it could be nice, I think.  Sometimes I would put beads on the braids, and that could be kinda Egyptian-cool if you put the braids all around, with little beads on them.  I also used to paint streaks in my hair with markers, back then, but that might not show up for you, if your hair is very dark.  If there's a bit more opaque gel or hair mascara or something that works, you could streak with that, though.

If you need to look formal, you could put it half-up, and maybe tuck in a flower, or use a decorative clip to hold it.  Or maybe twist it back, pinning it along the way, and tucking under or sorta bunning the ends once you reach the back.  To make it look more formal you could use jewelled hairpins for the pinning-back, or tuck tiny flowers or baby's breath in here and there.  If your hair will hold a curl, you can do something Marilyn-esque with it, and that would look glam without any ornamentation.

More awesome than a manatee!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic