Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

extensions made from my own hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
princessaimee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessaimee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: extensions made from my own hair?
    Posted: September 02 2005 at 2:48pm

I have long hair and am toying with cutting about 8-10 inches off.  I'd like it to be made into clip in extensions.  Does anyone know how expensive this would be?

Or, is it really difficult to make them myself? Anyone have instructions on how to do it? I've seen where you can buy the combs, but how to group the hair together (I guess I would sew it together? Glue it together?)

Thanks so much!

marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 3:52pm
Do a search on the board . I remeber this coming up before
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 9:10pm

This probably could be done, but it would be messy (hair getting all over the place) and the results probably won't be that great in terms of having a functional clip in extension.

Mariposa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mariposa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 12:20pm
aimee, you have to have special tools such as a hackle to keep the hair in place and aligned after it has been cut. Unless you are a professional wig maker I wouldn't recommend it.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 2:27pm

A good friend of mine who does Great Lengths had a client come to her with a big bag of her own hair and ask that her hair be made into extensions.  My friend sent her to a wig maker (like Mariposa advised) and the estimate for having the client's natural strands made into a wig was a lot higher than just using 100% human hair extensions, which is what the client wound up doing.

I guess as Metal pointed out, besides it being messy it probably wouldn't turn out as well.

Maybe the idea would be to put the hair aside and just do a lot of research and talk to local wig makers to see if down the road it might be something to play with.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by princessaimee princessaimee wrote:

I have long hair and am toying
with cutting about 8-10 inches off.  I'd like it to be made into clip
in extensions.  Does anyone know how expensive this would
be?

Or, is it really difficult to make them myself? Anyone have
instructions on how to do it? I've seen where you can buy the
combs, but how to group the hair together (I guess I would sew
it together? Glue it together?)

Thanks so much!

Hi!
I took the Mark Barrington class in July this year and a student
asked that same question. Mark B. can make extensions from
your own hair! You need to contact a Mark B. stylist!

Good Luck!

Also, a custom wig made from your own hair is more expensive
than buying a grade b human hair wig.   I deal with
chemotheraphy clients all the time and that request is common.
I had a 13 year old client who donated her butt length hair to
make a vacuum wig for my 16 yr. old with permanent baldness.
That was sooooo sweet of her!
kirstyx1888xmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirstyx1888xmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2005 at 3:39am

sorry not sure how much it wud cost , only thing i can say is if you are doubting cutting off your hair - and think you might wnant it long again - wen you said you wanted clip ins - i would seriously advise you not to do it.

extensions are really nice, but a hassle and so costly think most people that wear them would much rather have long hair naturally

and i am in the process of growing mine

so good luck !

Edited by kirstyx1888xmac
Lady_Lynz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady_Lynz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2005 at 10:57pm
It is an interesting idea, though. Too bad it's so much more expensive!
<3, Lady_Lynz
shann2525 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shann2525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2005 at 11:03pm
if you just want to cut your hair for a different length, there is a wonderful organization that will take your hair and make a wig for a child with sicknesses that makes them have hair loss problems.  I would love to be able to do something like that if I had "extra" hair.   What an amazing gift to be able to give a lil one.
Cali-Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 12:50am

Are you looking to make these clips for yourself? I'm confused. If you're making them for yourself and you'd just like to make the cut off hair into clip-ins  incase you want to go long again it won't work. Let's say for instance your hair is 25" long natually and you decide to cut 13" off. If you make clips out of them you'll probablly loose a least an inch of the length through the process. Then once you do make clips out of them they'll be 12" long and your natural hair would 12" You would only be able add them in for fullness, not to get your length back. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if this is what you ment but that's what I assumed. On the other hand if you had 25" hair and decided to give yourself a pixi cut and chop 20" off, making clip ins wouldn't be such a bad idea.

The best way I see to make extensions out of your own hair is to install it with fusion or shrinkies so it's not so messy.

~Kristin

Edited by CaliforniaKristin
princessaimee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessaimee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 9:27am

thanks everyone! I did cut my hair and kept the ponytail...it's about 9", so not long enough to give to Locks of Love. 

I wanted extension clips out of them, not to go long again (I understand it would be the same length) but for fullness, and for putting my hair up for formal occasions, I could add curls and bulk for the updo. 

So maybe not possible to do, but it was just a thought.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic